Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm getting my 06 TC new this weekend and I eventually want to throw either a turbo or the TRD SC in it, whenever it comes out. But I have a problem. I live in CA and it's damn hard to pass smog with FI here. I'm guessing the only way will be to get the TRD SC or to find a shady smog inspector. What are the rest of you CA FI guys planning to do about that? Damn CARB legal crap. I mean, I love the environment, but why can't they make a kit that's CARB legal? CA's like the biggest import market in the US. I don't get it.

-Steve

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
ScionSpeed claims to be getting carb exemption... TRD supercharger will be CARB exempt when it finally comes out (around the time of Duke Nukem Never).

·
Registered
843 Posts
Originally posted by CraniumDesigns@Jul 27 2005, 10:48 AM
Hey Guys,

I'm getting my 06 TC new this weekend and I eventually want to throw either a turbo or the TRD SC in it, whenever it comes out. But I have a problem. I live in CA and it's damn hard to pass smog with FI here. I'm guessing the only way will be to get the TRD SC or to find a shady smog inspector. What are the rest of you CA FI guys planning to do about that? Damn CARB legal crap. I mean, I love the environment, but why can't they make a kit that's CARB legal? CA's like the biggest import market in the US. I don't get it.

-Steve
The target date for the release of the CARB Approved SC from TRD is 9/12 and the rumor is that it might be sooner.

Ken

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im not listening to any rumors until its actually out. that thing has been pushed back so much. it was supposed to be out this last spring.

·
Registered
843 Posts
You're right, it has been delayed way too long. The S/C passed CARB recently and it's usually 60 days to get them ready for distribution once they've passed and that time is almost complete. TRD has assigned a part number to the product and they don't do that until they're close to being ready. We are also about to have a new TRD CAI for the 06 tC available. For a change, this stuff is more reality than rumor and that's why I posted it.

Ken

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Why is everyone so critical of TRDs delays? They have actual government guidelines to follow, and they're pretty strict.

The "companies" dealing turbo kits haven't produced more than a few units between them, and they're just assembling kits and welding up turbo logs. Some pre-paid customers have been waiting 8 months and more.

Oh, and in good old Smog Nazi cali, if it's not CARB exempt, it's illegal for street use. Period.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i hope the SC pumps out a little more than 40hp, hopefully more like 60-75. but i doubt it.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
^^^ you are right to doubt that.

edit : p.s - ken does not help the rumor mill run. if he says it, it is the most solid data around, not just some salesman throwing around what he or she has heard. especially if its a TRD thing. i mean, he is THE trd parts man at sparks.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Isotope@Jul 27 2005, 04:53 PM
Why is everyone so critical of TRDs delays? They have actual government guidelines to follow, and they're pretty strict.

The "companies" dealing turbo kits haven't produced more than a few units between them, and they're just assembling kits and welding up turbo logs. Some pre-paid customers have been waiting 8 months and more.

Oh, and in good old Smog Nazi cali, if it's not CARB exempt, it's illegal for street use. Period.
man, i couldnt agree with you more. bitch whine moan from everyone about the delays. you would think that the effort vortech and trd have put into this to get it ready for sale with warranty and CARB approval intact, people would understand. i mean, this can often be a 3 year process for development. and its coming a little over a year since the release of a new model vehicle. moan about it somewhere else. and if everyone has been beating down the door for one of these, why dont i have any preorders for the units i am getting (well, except one for me)?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Originally posted by Obike@Jul 27 2005, 12:29 PM
ScionSpeed claims to be getting carb exemption... TRD supercharger will be CARB exempt when it finally comes out (around the time of Duke Nukem Never).
Scionspeed hasn't sent out ONE turbo yet. Don't count on them ever being CARB legal.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
So much for all the ranting and raving they did on this board a few months back. Oh well. CARB sucks. It's almost enough reason to leave California.

·
Registered
15,001 Posts
as if the governor wasnt enough of one already

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i'm waiting to buy one after i see a firm price and a dyno sheet. we'll see if 40hp is worth $3000.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Isotope@Jul 28 2005, 12:32 AM
You can't get away from CARB. Their guidelines are becoming the new standard for emissions testing. Hell, Nevada is tougher than Cali.
Yeah, but I have a good friend in Reno (Dave Mashour, 700+ hp Supra owner with his car on the cover of MaxSpeed) who owns and operates a chain of smog inspection stations. I have little doubt I could get a fair examination from him. The other thing about CARB is their inspections have two elements: configuration visual inspection and technical performance testing. Typically the visual is where you'll fail. MANY states disagree with this arbitrary and IMHO questionable standard for smog performance. Most states use technical performance measurements, and some also use OBDII diagnostics examination to determine compliance.

IMHO, the only thing they need to test is performance. I can see why you need a visual inspection for EVAP, but everything else can be tested and evaluated with a 5 gas analyzer. A 5 gas check can't be fooled by a catless engine, or an engine not running EGR, two of the most common "performance mods." If the goal is really clean air, then it would seem to make sense that the checks should be based on the car not polluting, not visual compliance with the OEM configuration.

I would also like to see the government offer smog credits the same way they do with industry. For instance, I propose paying an annual fee for non-compliance with a limited number of miles driven annually. So guys who want to do really exotic mods to late model cars can actually drive them some limited number of miles annually without the car being flagrantly illegal. It would still have to meet tailpipe performance requirements, but would not have to meet the visual requirements. The likelihood of this happening is about zero, but it would be a nice addition to the "Golden State" where hot rodding is deeply rooted with a long rich history.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Not a governor, but a top speed limiter set at 127 mph. So far it has not been possible to remove it.

·
Registered
742 Posts
We just escaped from Cali, no smog checks here, right across the county line from a rather strict one that Portland is in:)

The visual inspection has always been the part that ticked my off the most:( My cars always run clean!

What really was worse is knowing, and have witness, the thousands of horribly poluting cars coming across the southern border every day. They never get pulled over for spewing massive clouds of unburnt fuel, oil, etc, into the air yet I went through hell over a perfectly clean running car that did not pass a visual(unlawful inspection at that) from being stopped for a loud muffler that was so quiet you could barely hear it.

Anyway, I will continue to build fast, highly modded and clean running cars as I did down there. The last time I went through several days of work, had to see a judge, smop referree, judge again, put on probation, etc, etc. After the last judge visit I went straight home and put my turbo system right back on though, F'em!!!!!

Rick

·
Registered
15,001 Posts
i love how they pass off responsibility for pollution problems onto the average consumer and car enthusiast. point the finger at the true culprit... manufacturing and agriculture

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
There was an artical in the paper a few days ago that said the state was going to crack down on the cars that are putting out huge amounts of smoke. Apparently up to this point they thought that the gross polluting cars were so few that it wasn't worth their time to give them tickets...new scientific research shows otherwise (####ing duh).

[Sorry for the language, but I thought it was absolutely necessary]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.