Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that I can get Fat Mat for about 1/3 the cost of dynomat off of ebay. Has anyone ever used this stuff. I know nothing really compares to dynomat, but for the price if this stuff works well it might be worth it too me!

I was planning on dynamating the entire inside of my Tc. Just a little over 100sq.ft. of dynamat. (Getting er ready for surround sound and subs!) In dynamat this would cost me a small fortune! I can get the same amount of fat mat around $100-$150. I am not looking to sound proof the car. Just looking to doo away with raddle and a little of the street noise while making the speakers sound clearer. (I know I can do this with high quality aftermarket speakers too! Which I plann on doing! Got me 4 bose (expensive little buggers) 6 1/2" component speakers and 2 6x9" components. As well as a couple of different size tweeters. I have 2 12" audiobahn subs for the back, and a couple of amps!) All in all I will be running around 4000watts of power in this audio system and do not want to waste money were it does not need to be wasted! But I would like to save money were I can! And if this stuff is even descent I would like to get it!

Let me here your reviews on it!

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I am not a believer in brand name soundproofing products. Last year I bought a 50' roll of this guys's stuff ( http://www.raamaudio.com ) for $90 or so and it worked great. So why pay 4x as much for dynomat - no idea.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also don't care about brand name! I just know dynamat works! Used it before. The problem is that one of my friends bought some sound dedener(<spelling?) last summer for his xB and come to find out it was really roofing insolation that lays under the shingles. This might have actually worked fine except that the sticky backing was that aspholt based stuff and when his car got hot in the sun it peeled back and would not stick. I am just trying not to get the same crap! Learn from others mistakes! Hehe!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Originally posted by cmlloveless@Feb 16 2005, 12:13 PM
I also don't care about brand name!  I just know dynamat works! Used it before.  The problem is that one of my friends bought some sound dedener(<spelling?) last summer for his xB and come to find out it was really roofing insolation that lays under the shingles.  This might have actually worked fine except that the sticky backing was that aspholt based stuff and when his car got hot in the sun it peeled back and would not stick.  I am just trying not to get the same crap! Learn from others mistakes! Hehe!
I hate to say it, but many of the brand names as well as the no-names use that same type of stuff in their entry level sound deadening materials. You have to spend a bit more money to get the good stuff that will stick. There is a cheaper alternative you may want to persue. You can try this product:

http://www.dhcsupplies.com/buildingpapers/bt20.htm

Yes, it is a roofing/flashing product as well. But that's ultimately where these sound deadening products came from in the first place. It is not asphault based. It is a butylized rubber adhesive based product, a similar compound compared to Dynamat Xtreme, however, it is not as thick. It does have similar sound deadening properties, is very easy to apply and won't fall off in the heat. Just be sure the surface is clean and dry before the application and use a roller to remove air bubbles. It is also polythylene (plastic) backed instead of aluminum but the backing is just going to prevent it from sticking to other surfaces. This stuff is much more affordable and will do a better than average job. Hell, you could even afford to double layer it to increase it's effect. It comes in 12" widthd, which is actually easier to work with than the large sheets on Dynamat. A 100' roll should cover both doors inside and out with a little left over. Two rolls should cover the entire vehicle.

Any car audio retailers reading this are not going to be happy with me cause I just killed a HUGE profit center for them!!! But it's for the benefit of the community, so sorry!!! The secret has been kept for long enough.

Hope this gives you a new perspective on sound deadening.

PS - Here's another tip. Line this stuff on the inside of your sub box to reduce enclosure resonance. It'll help "tighten" your bass response.

EDIT - Sorry, to answer your original question, Fat Mat eXtreme is practically identicle to Dynamat Xtreme, but remember, you could buy three 100 sq ft rolls of the abouve for about the same price as the Fat Mat.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Rock on Alpman! You just saved me a bunch of cash!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know this is an old post but after searching the internet and tearing my hair out trying to decide which dampener to buy, I do a simple search here and of course Alpman comes with a solution. I was actually considering spending over 200 bucks on second skin spectrum, but now Ill get all the dampener I need and then some, for about 80 bucks.
thanks again Alpman,
Adam

·
Registered
730 Posts
Glad to see you using the search feature. This stuff really is great for the money. I still suggest to double layer it cause it's only half as thick as the real stuff. It's cheap enough!

·
Registered
742 Posts
First off, I own a sound deadening company and sell alot of material to thousands of enthusiasts all over the world but you have not seen me here trying to sell my products, I am here as a Scion tC owner.

Butyl is the way to go for the base material, polyethelene is a good reliable cover to seal it but will not enhance the deadening capabilities of it, the best products all have aluminum for the surface layer for a reason;)

20mils is far to thin, two layers would be a bare minimum in some areas and not effective enough in most. Three layers would really be needed in most areas and still may not be as effective as other products on the market.

Do as you wish of course, just realize the true cost of what you are getting if you want to do the job right.

Again, not here representing my company, I am stating the above because some of you may not realize the importance of using the best products you can get(for a good price of course) and how they really compare to inferior substitutes of which there are many things you can chose from.

Rick

·
Registered
730 Posts
I never stated this was as good or better, just merely an alternative for those on a budget. Nor am I trying to sell a product. For the record, I do not know anyone who sells or represents this product in any way so there really is nothing in it for me. I simply found them on the internet using a search engine.

I have used this product personally many times and it works well. I do not use it in my tC, but that's only because I can get deals on the real stuff. I used Dynamat Xtreme in my tC and that is why I compared this product to the Xtreme.

The Protecto Wrap flashing tape is also made of a Butyl base, thus the reason I stated it was similar to Dynamat Xtreme. The Dynamat stuff is 40 mils thick, exactly twice the thickness of the flashing tape. So, two layers of flashing tape should suffice for most applications, but even if you did use three layers, it would still be less expensive than the Dynamat.

I do not know what company you represent or own, Rick, and I don't wish to step on any toes. I'm sure your product is top notch and may have some advantages over this product. I just wanted to help some of those who may not be able to afford "the best products" and provide them with a cost effective solution.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Dynamat Extreme, the kind with the Aluminum top layer, is almost the exact same thing as some sort of gutter repair/sealant that a friend of mine found for like 1/5 the price. I compared it to the Dynamat I had (I only paid 1/4 the price anyway for the dynamat, go go best buy employee discount at the time). If I can find a link to it again, i will post it =)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.