Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know that the best battery is a optima yellow top. But right now funds wont allow. So I wanted to know if the factory battery holds its own. I only have a 250 watt amp but its all I need for the moment.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I don't see how a Marine battery is best for automotive applications. They look cool though. Personally, whenever the OEM battery needs replacing, I always put the biggest Sears Die Hard Gold in the car. You want your system operating from the alternator's output not the battery so it's all moot. All energy to powere your system ultimately comes from the alternator.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by JLTD@Mar 15 2005, 02:04 PM
I don't see how a Marine battery is best for automotive applications. They look cool though. Personally, whenever the OEM battery needs replacing, I always put the biggest Sears Die Hard Gold in the car. You want your system operating from the alternator's output not the battery so it's all moot. All energy to powere your system ultimately comes from the alternator.
That was my thought till i found out the 350 watt bazooka system that is factory is also run off this same battery

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
350 watts isn't much for a decent alternator. The smallest car alternators I have seen are 90A, so there's 1296 watts available before you start drawing the battery down. Even at 350 continuous watts per channel, you still have 596 watts to run the car. That's more than enough.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Four cylinder motors usually have alternators from 60 -90 amps. The vehicle needs 40 - 60 amps to operate. If the Scion alternator is 90 amps and only needs 40 to operate the alternator has 625 Watts to give (50 x 12.5V = 625 Watts). The charge rate of the alternator is 13.8V because it needs to recharge the battery. There needs to be a difference of potential for current to flow. 14.4V does not happen in a car under load.
See signature.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Under what kind of load? Audio or otherwise? I measure 14.4 all the time with no audio (or even stock audio). It also takes a lot less than 40 amps to run the car with the lights off and the battery fully charged. The engine doesn't even take 10 amps under idle load.

Agreed all this changes as soon as you turn on the lights or invoke ABS, turn on the cooling fans, or lots of other high draw items, but none of those are constant loads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.