Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
ive been interested about learing more of this mystery intake myself. ive seen a couple of adds for them buy have yet to see or hear anything good or bad about them or what performance gains they give.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I am pretty sure 9 times out of 10 an intake is an intake...the best intake that I have done would be get a K&N filter its cheaper and it gives you the gains...all you will gain in an aftermarket intake is engine noise

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
there is no downside to a k&n filter that i know about.

mrbrace is right, it really doesnt matter what intake you put on as far as hp gains are concerned.

·
Registered
109 Posts
are you sure about that? people on SL were saying a dyno comparison to the injen and k&n were very noticeable.

everyone was also talking about making their own ghetto intake out of the stock unit, anyone have pictures of know where the information for this is done? just as information wise.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
EddNog had that done. Stock pipe and put on the Umnitza CF Intake on it, but he changed it to Dr Isotope's GFI pipe.

SL has some dyno comparisons done. K&N filter seems to actually make your car LOSE some power. K&N intake's power gains seemed fairly superficial. The ONLY intake that showed true gain was the Injen.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Dyno tests on intakes are a complete waste of time. The intake isn't seeing the same air movement it sees when the car is in motion, and most dyno testing I've seen, the hood is open and fans are blowing on the car to move air through the radiator. That's NOTHING like what happens in service.

There is only one useful test for an intake. Trapspeed on a measured course before and after the change. The whole point of the dyno is to show you made a change that results in more power, and more power implies the car is faster, except the car isn't moving on the dyno, so unless the dyno test is in a wind tunnel with the hood in its operating position, the test is absolutely pointless.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Nov 27 2005, 04:34 PM
Dyno tests on intakes are a complete waste of time. The intake isn't seeing the same air movement it sees when the car is in motion, and most dyno testing I've seen, the hood is open and fans are blowing on the car to move air through the radiator. That's NOTHING like what happens in service.

There is only one useful test for an intake. Trapspeed on a measured course before and after the change. The whole point of the dyno is to show you made a change that results in more power, and more power implies the car is faster, except the car isn't moving on the dyno, so unless the dyno test is in a wind tunnel with the hood in its operating position, the test is absolutely pointless.
not to forget all the other factors that go into a dyno's results. people think an inertial dyno is accurate down to .1 HP. but the same day, the same car, the same mods, the same tech will result in different readings. i am seriously about to go blow the dollars on 10 runs on the dyno just to settle this.

weapon r has a dyno somewhere that plainly shows an increase of 13whp from their intake. people are still skeptical, even though its shown on a dyno, which apparently to a lot of people is the end of all things. they are right to be skeptical. and you should be, too. if it was that easy to get 13whp...

buy what you buy, believe the hype. people on scionlife, and socaltcclub and even here have all discussed the UR pulley swap, and everywhere you read says its a great idea. cause it works and this and that. and you shell out your dollars, and you snap the chain on the oil pump, and all goes to hell. but, i read on the internet that it wouldnt hurt my car. the guy at the store said it would be fine.

the people at toyota have been building this stuff longer than, and at a level much higher than, some guy with a cnc machine and a plan to make some money off you in the aftermarket world. but what do i know anyway?

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Originally posted by Zygote55+Nov 27 2005, 09:26 PM-->QUOTE (Zygote55 @ Nov 27 2005, 09:26 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-inevitablegod
@Nov 27 2005, 08:14 AM
there is no downside to a k&n filter that i know about. 

mrbrace is right, it really doesnt matter what intake you put on as far as hp gains are concerned.
Actually, it might.

Read this - http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=92108 [/b]
what am i looking at that is supposed to settle the intake thing? he did a bunch of inertial dyno runs? with some intakes installed? and the most he got for his time and trouble was what?

i can get a 7hp "gain" by waiting until sunset to run the test. my best mod ever, colder ambient temperature.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
^^^ plus shipping. and, cold air has to be refrigerated. otherwise, by the time you open the box, you may as well have just used your OEM air.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.