Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Praise f*cking Jesus!

FINALLY got rid of that GAWD AWEFUL stock Pioneer HU!!! I got an Apline 9825, basic, no frills HU that Apline sells. Got the aux input adapter set up and hooked up my ipod from it.

Let me just tell you how freaking BETTER the sound was!!! OMFG!!!! I KNEW the stock speakers could handle more than they did and could sound as decent as they were SUPPOSED to sound, but didn't. But man do they through this HU!!

Words of wisdom,

GET RID OF THE STOCK HU!!!!!!!

-extremely happy Apline customer

·
Registered
71 Posts
way to go, im looking to replace my HU as well thanks for the good words.

·
Registered
453 Posts
amen, i feel ya on that one....long live alpine

·
Registered
256 Posts
I can't say that I know that an aftermarket HU sounds better in the tC, but in my previous experiences with other cars, it's made a huge hell of a difference. But I will say, the stock HU for our tC is DAMN GOOD compared to others that I've seen.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I'm happy for you, Roger, but I'm sticking to the stock fake Pioneer. It's good to have absolutely zero musical hearing

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by zoltiz@Apr 30 2005, 12:11 AM
I'm happy for you, Roger, but I'm sticking to the stock fake Pioneer. It's good to have absolutely zero musical hearing
Its the worst desease I have, is having trained ears!

·
Registered
675 Posts
i think this boy just found what an alpine sounds like, by jeeves i think he's got it.. lol

yeah alpine is a great sounding head unit! nothing else like it.. crisp, dynamic, clean.. the stock pioneer isn't that bad, he should by a ford and see how bad, bad can be! ha ha ha.. that'll give him an appreciaton for the stock pioneer..

but yeah an aftermarket alpine would improve it and make it crisper.. congrats to you on the new head unit..

it's just like anything stock.. they had to make a compromise between cost/performance.. just like the tires too.. they're decent but there are much much better ones out there.. just like the radio too..

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
im getting my Ma Audio equipment for the speakers and subs, but i wanna get the Eclipse navigation system for my HU. it has a dvd and mp3 player built in on it too.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by sciontc_mich@Apr 30 2005, 03:58 AM
i think this boy just found what an alpine sounds like, by jeeves i think he's got it.. lol

yeah alpine is a great sounding head unit! nothing else like it.. crisp, dynamic, clean.. the stock pioneer isn't that bad, he should by a ford and see how bad, bad can be! ha ha ha.. that'll give him an appreciaton for the stock pioneer..

but yeah an aftermarket alpine would improve it and make it crisper.. congrats to you on the new head unit..

it's just like anything stock.. they had to make a compromise between cost/performance.. just like the tires too.. they're decent but there are much much better ones out there.. just like the radio too..
Well,

The SCARY thing is, is that when I had my matrix, I had the stock HU, which was a Delphi (=GM!!), and it was BETTER sounding than the one in the tc!!!!

Now thats scary!!!!

But yes, I understand they have to comprimise, hell we wouldnt have gotten the great deal we did if they added more awesome stuff to this car!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz@Apr 29 2005, 09:11 PM
In all seriousness, I question a lot of people's perception of what is "good". I have a big musical background in my family, and Im involved in music in school, and have been in numerous honors bands... and i think the pioneer sounds awesome.
thats just my opinion, but i would like to think that it carries at least a little weight with it. I guess part of it involves what you are listening to, but from the stuff ive played so far it sounds great. I think theres a little bit of psychological stuff going on, and people just convince themselves that it sounds better when they go out and spend money on a new system. I had like a 2k system in my old car and im just as happy with the stock one on the tC as i was with the one in that car. I'm not criticizing what people have done or anything, im just saying that the stock system delivers plenty of performance and im glad i saved the money i was gonna use for a system and got some other stuff for the car

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
I have also been a few honor bands and chiors in my day. what do you play? (perhaps I should move this to off topic soon)

at any rate, I think the stock system sounds fine. not the "best in the world" but, it really is better than any other stock system out there. other car brands fall short when compared to a stock 160w system. But, they did leave room for improvement.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by tCarola87+Apr 30 2005, 11:24 PM-->QUOTE (tCarola87 @ Apr 30 2005, 11:24 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-zoltiz
@Apr 29 2005, 09:11 PM
In all seriousness, I question a lot of people's perception of what is "good". I have a big musical background in my family, and Im involved in music in school, and have been in numerous honors bands... and i think the pioneer sounds awesome.
thats just my opinion, but i would like to think that it carries at least a little weight with it. I guess part of it involves what you are listening to, but from the stuff ive played so far it sounds great. I think theres a little bit of psychological stuff going on, and people just convince themselves that it sounds better when they go out and spend money on a new system. I had like a 2k system in my old car and im just as happy with the stock one on the tC as i was with the one in that car. I'm not criticizing what people have done or anything, im just saying that the stock system delivers plenty of performance and im glad i saved the money i was gonna use for a system and got some other stuff for the car [/b]
Well, I will just say this. I too have a BIG musical background with my family, as well as I have a degree in music as a trumpet player and have played guitar for years. In music school in theory class when we had to "sing" as HALF of our grade, I litterally got better grades on my aurals than the vocal majors in my class (that all has to do with ear, not singing ability). So, "hearing" the difference is way more than "listening" to the difference. I can't say I know what the pioneer sounds like, but I will agree with you when you say you can tell the difference. Like I was telling people today, when I can hear things in the same album on the same track that I wasn't hearing before, then there's a BIG difference!! Thats all I am saying.....

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just thought overall the stock system was missing balls, or umpf for lack of a better term. Plus there was no definition in what you were hearing, just sounded bland. Now, I can really hear the differentiation in the highs and lows (and mids for that matter), and that (to me) has to do with the sound processor which has to do with the head unit.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Originally posted by r2tc+May 1 2005, 12:08 AM-->QUOTE (r2tc @ May 1 2005, 12:08 AM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 30 2005, 11:24 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-zoltiz

thats just my opinion, but i would like to think that it carries at least a little weight with it. I guess part of it involves what you are listening to, but from the stuff ive played so far it sounds great. I think theres a little bit of psychological stuff going on, and people just convince themselves that it sounds better when they go out and spend money on a new system. I had like a 2k system in my old car and im just as happy with the stock one on the tC as i was with the one in that car. I'm not criticizing what people have done or anything, im just saying that the stock system delivers plenty of performance and im glad i saved the money i was gonna use for a system and got some other stuff for the car
Well, I will just say this. I too have a BIG musical background with my family, as well as I have a degree in music as a trumpet player and have played guitar for years. In music school in theory class when we had to "sing" as HALF of our grade, I litterally got better grades on my aurals than the vocal majors in my class (that all has to do with ear, not singing ability). So, "hearing" the difference is way more than "listening" to the difference. I can't say I know what the pioneer sounds like, but I will agree with you when you say you can tell the difference. Like I was telling people today, when I can hear things in the same album on the same track that I wasn't hearing before, then there's a BIG difference!! Thats all I am saying..... [/b]
Having been a professional trumpet player for about 25 years, I can attest to the value of a good, trained ear (well, two, actually:)). Though I don't claim to be perfect by any means, my ability to hear subtle nuances in music has improved markedly over the years. I have no doubt that a change in HU can produce a noticeable change in sound (for good or bad); I've experienced this myself when noticing two different bass qualities with two different HUs. I also realize that you can have a person listen to two identical musical sources, tell him that the two sources are different, and he will indeed many times be able to "detect" a difference in perceived sound. It's a tricky road when trying to quantify actual differences in sound output.

And let me tell you -- relative pitch is a bitch. But I've won a lot of bets.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by Frunobulax+May 1 2005, 11:19 AM-->QUOTE (Frunobulax @ May 1 2005, 11:19 AM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 1 2005, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by [email protected] 30 2005, 11:24 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-zoltiz

Well, I will just say this. I too have a BIG musical background with my family, as well as I have a degree in music as a trumpet player and have played guitar for years. In music school in theory class when we had to "sing" as HALF of our grade, I litterally got better grades on my aurals than the vocal majors in my class (that all has to do with ear, not singing ability). So, "hearing" the difference is way more than "listening" to the difference. I can't say I know what the pioneer sounds like, but I will agree with you when you say you can tell the difference. Like I was telling people today, when I can hear things in the same album on the same track that I wasn't hearing before, then there's a BIG difference!! Thats all I am saying.....
Having been a professional trumpet player for about 25 years, I can attest to the value of a good, trained ear (well, two, actually:)). Though I don't claim to be perfect by any means, my ability to hear subtle nuances in music has improved markedly over the years. I have no doubt that a change in HU can produce a noticeable change in sound (for good or bad); I've experienced this myself when noticing two different bass qualities with two different HUs. I also realize that you can have a person listen to two identical musical sources, tell him that the two sources are different, and he will indeed many times be able to "detect" a difference in perceived sound. It's a tricky road when trying to quantify actual differences in sound output.

And let me tell you -- relative pitch is a bitch. But I've won a lot of bets.
[/b]
True, very true.

I studied classical and both Jazz while in school (University of Louisville, under Dr. Michael Tunnell and jazz with John LaBarbera).

Can't say I am a professional by any means, but I have a degres....

Oh, btw, I play a Kanstul 1500 series that has the raw copper bell and a Monet B2M mouthpiece for all of my playing. Currentlly I really don't play much but a brass quintet gig every few months, other than that, I sit at home a play whatever jazz comes out of my head. Or I am trying to transcribe whatever Wynton album I have on at the time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
omg,what are u talkin about,the stock pioneer is awful.it sound so ####ty. i took that thing out the first week and put a panasonic in.if u wanna hear good,crisp music, get some memhis highs with an amp hittin them. volume 10 is fuckin loud and so clear and crisp, the speakers that come stock also suck ballz in the tC.i still have them though,when i get some money ill switch them.

·
Registered
453 Posts
speaking from the opinion of a car audio freak (much different froma musically inclined freak) i can honestly say that the tC's stock headunit was the best stock deck i ahve heard in a new car (keep in mind im not comparing it to cars that have upgraded audio packages...i.e. dodge has a infinty upgrade)...but for being bone stock, the deck that comes in every tC out of the factory....this is one of the best decks i have heard, not to mention it had mp3 capability...AMAZING for a stock
unit!!!!

even better i ahve had friends who bought cheap aftermarket decks, and my OEM unit sounded better....

none of this i stated kept me from putting my alpine in my tC the same day i got it, but nonetheless i just wanted to chime in wiht my opinions

and to touch on well known crappy stock units, i can attest to Fords having the ABSOLUTE worst stereos known to man, even their mach 1 systems are garbage

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.