Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm at my final decision process before I make my order tonight but I had one other question I wanted to toss out to you guys since you have a much better history than I do with Toyota. Should I buy the extended warranty? 3 years-36k miles seems ok but do I really need anything more than that?

I am used to Audi's and knowing they are in the shop more than most Japanese cars, I'm just unsure if it's worth the extra $1,250? That's a lot of mods you know?!

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I wouldn't... Toyotas are a helluva lot more reliable than VW/Audi's.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
And that is just bumper-to-bumper... the powertrain is 10yrs, 100k miles. If you aren't going to do any mods and you want it as a daily driver... sure. It'll be worth it for you. You can use the other A4 (I'm assuming it's a B6?) for all your weekend-warrior needs, I suggest you stop by APR (www.goapr.com) and get some things for your Audi

[/shameless plug]

·
Registered
74 Posts
Contrary to what's been stated above the powertrain warranty is only 5 year/60K miles. But in any case extended warranty covers much more than just the powertrain. Extended warranty is a popular choice even for Hondas because if you plan to keep the car for many years, it could easily pay for itself several times over. It all really depends on the price and coverage. If you can get a 10 year/100K miles with 0 deductible for around $1000 I'd say it's absolutely worth it, because it gives you an extra 7 years of coverage beyond the standard 3-year bumper to bumper warranty and most likely you'll have at least a few repairs in that period costing at least $1000 combined. And you get the peace of mind that if you'll never have to pay big bucks for some major repair job if something really serious happens (and it does happen even for Toyota).

btw, only get an extended warranty offered by the manufacturer, not a third party provider because these compaines are not dependable, could disapear or make you go thru hell to get any claims.

Remeber the dealership is just an agent selling you the ext warranty, so they also make money on that - so the price is negotiable (at least for other cars). Also usually you don't have to buy the ext warranty when you buy the car, you can add anytime in the first year of ownership.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Obike@Jan 6 2006, 10:38 AM
You can use the other A4 (I'm assuming it's a B6?) for all your weekend-warrior needs, I suggest you stop by APR (www.goapr.com) and get some things for your Audi

[/shameless plug]
Been there done that...
We have already put in B&M Short shifter, GIAC X-Chip and Neuspeed Rear Sway. I have a few other plans for this one but we are getting married at the end of the year so all the money is going that direction for now. If you like APR also check out Induktion (Local Shop to the DC Metro area) & AWE-Tuning is another great shop.
(The Silver one) Is our "weekend-warrior"

And mine that we sold..

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
I stand corrected on the warranty for the tC (as I don't much care about it anyways). And for once I didn't want to bash the above's head in for being dense.

*EDIT* Nice... and I'm not a fan of APR, I work for them
I have to say APR's products are hella better than anyone elses I've seen. The amount of work that goes into making each product is astounding, the engineers here truly check every single aspect before making any changes.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
The troll is right on this one. Having had the extended warranty on my last car and not having had to use it, I chose to pocket the $1,000. Honestly, though, even in this context, extended warranties are probably a losing proposition from a purely monetary standpoint. In other words, chances are that you will not need enough repairs that are covered by the extended warranty to justify the current expenditure. If you give them $1,000 for an extended warranty now, and your car needs repairs 4 years down the road, it would have to be more than $1,000 worth of repairs for you to truly break even.

But in reality, the real issue is whether the peace of mind is worth $1,000 (or whatever the price you're offered). The types of things that are covered by an extended warranty but not the powertrain warranty are insignificant to me, so I would basically be paying about $1,200 (what I was quoted for a 100,000 mile warranty) for powertrain coverage from miles 60,001-100,000. Give the number of Toyotas I have owned or known of that needed powertrain work before the 100,000 mile mark was somewhere in the neighborhood of 0, I wouldn't get any peace of mind out of buying an extended warranty.

Some people do, though. As long as you make an informed decision, I don't think there's a wrong answer to this.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh sweet, I'm shocked you don't have an Audi then.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Originally posted by Cheeky@Jan 6 2006, 12:05 PM
Oh sweet, I'm shocked you don't have an Audi then.
I may end up buying one later on down the road, but that is quite a few years down the road (i have no want for being in debt even more than I am by having one car). I already have one car payment, and there's no need for a 2nd (or a 2nd car for that matter). I may have one for a daily driver in the future though

·
Registered
74 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4@Jan 6 2006, 12:05 PM
The troll is right on this one. Having had the extended warranty on my last car and not having had to use it, I chose to pocket the $1,000. Honestly, though, even in this context, extended warranties are probably a losing proposition from a purely monetary standpoint. In other words, chances are that you will not need enough repairs that are covered by the extended warranty to justify the current expenditure. If you give them $1,000 for an extended warranty now, and your car needs repairs 4 years down the road, it would have to be more than $1,000 worth of repairs for you to truly break even.

But in reality, the real issue is whether the peace of mind is worth $1,000 (or whatever the price you're offered). The types of things that are covered by an extended warranty but not the powertrain warranty are insignificant to me, so I would basically be paying about $1,200 (what I was quoted for a 100,000 mile warranty) for powertrain coverage from miles 60,001-100,000. Give the number of Toyotas I have owned or known of that needed powertrain work before the 100,000 mile mark was somewhere in the neighborhood of 0, I wouldn't get any peace of mind out of buying an extended warranty.

Some people do, though. As long as you make an informed decision, I don't think there's a wrong answer to this.
first I would like to clarify that I have a right to post here just like anyone else and yopu are wrong about calling me a troll just as you were wrong about there warranty info.

But seriously, there are a lot more things covered than just the powertrain. For example, power window stopped working - it cost me $300 to fix (on my old car), or A/C malfunction - $800. Even on Toyota, in 10 years of use some things may break and it's nice not having to worry about having to shell out money when that happens. Having said that, I agree its really up to you and how you feel about spending money for repairs.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Interesting. I had zero warranty claims on my Supra despite the 7 year 100,000 mile warranty I purchased. The car will be 13 in May, and I have yet to replace a light bulb. Everything that has worn out has been a normal wear item, and everything that broke was my own fault, not Toyota's. Even at 140k miles it still makes 14 psi of boost without complaint, but not 18 like it did earlier in its life.

I would suspect a Supra with two turbos to be far more likely to need an extended warranty (which is why I bought it) than most cars. It turned out to be a bad bet for $710. However, had even one of the turbos failed, the part alone is $2600. Just another reason why it seemed a good bet at purchase time.

About the troll thing. You act like a troll. You shouldn't be surprised at being called one. You don't own a tC, you make condescending remarks about tCs (I did take a look at your post history and found little to support you having a positive attitude about tCs), and you started an idiotic debate about air bags with Marty in which you failed to make even a remote semblance of an intelligent argument.

FWIW, I am firmly convinced airbags have killed more people than they have saved. I can surely point to deaths caused by airbags, but the governments of two nations have not successfully proved an airbag has saved a single life. One of their own analysts has also taken up the cause and determined we could have spent the $3B+ on far more effective technologies to save lives than air bags. It's a marketing victory for the NHTSA, not the consumers, not the driver, and definitely not for the people killed by this less than ready for primetime technology.

Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey let's not rehash the side airbags argument here, suffice to say that it's everyone's right to think what they want (even when there is evidence to the contrary) and have their own opinion (even if the majority have a different opinion)

Im quite impressed with the supra not needing any warranty repairs for 7 years.... my saab needed serious repairs even within its first two years

·
Registered
372 Posts
<thread hijack>

Saabs were like that though. Two of the coolest cars I had driven prior to Toyota and Nissan becoming prevalent were a Saab and Merkur (both turbo'ed). Two of my good friends had them and I was sooo envious, until they started to tell me about their repair history. Funny thing was, the repairs had nothing to do with the turbo. But they drove like they owned the road and perhaps at that time, did!

Oh, and I won't really mention the SAB stuff because you made my point for me.

Cheers!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.