Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I'll get the warranty if I decide to keep the car over 3 years / 36K. Till then - we'll see.

If you get the warranty without deductible (and this is the only kind that you should get), then it will pay off in *maximum* 10 visits to the dealer - and that's if no repairs were performed.

·
Registered
614 Posts
i didn't get it. you can buy it at any time if you find that you want it. i found it to be a waste on my last car. i had no idea how long i was going to keep the car so i got it. i ended up keeping the car for 2 years. i traded it in for the tc and got a refund for the "unused" portion of the warrantee, but it wasn't as much as i paid for it. my advice: pass on it. like i said, you can always get it later at any time.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I say the extended warranty service is a ripoff. Out of six Toyotas my family has had in the last 15 years, not including my tC, only one of them has *ever* gotten warranty repairs done, and that was because of a dealer-installed option that wasn't installed properly (which isn't covered by the manufacturer's warranty anyway, but rather a dealer warranty, which doesn't necessarily run the same length as the manufacturer's warranty).

·
Registered
223 Posts
I didn't buy it because it is a toyota product. ha This car should last a million miles, if you don't rag on it.

late

·
Registered
614 Posts
remember, at least enginewise, we have a camry engine. nothing new

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I *almost* wished I had exteneded warranty on my previous toyota, but the problem was more my fault than the car's - trying to squeeze out every pony out of the supercharger can lead to some weird side effects

Good thing the techs at the dealership knew me and wrote off the repairs as "reported before 36K". Otherwise, I would have been out $1-2K...

·
Registered
614 Posts
what kind of car and what exactly happened to it?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by Kwiksilver@Oct 18 2004, 09:04 PM
what kind of car and what exactly happened to it?
2003 Toyota Matrix automatic with TRD Supercharger on it. Was running it with a TRD CAI (not recommended by TRD), separate 5th injector controller, custom header made for supercharged 1ZZ, custom midpipe with high-flow cat.

Basically by the time the problems started everything besides the header and supercharger was taken off - wanted quiet exhaust, etc.

So one day I get a CEL - read the code - oxygen sensor in the header is dead. 2 weeks later one more CEL - catalytic converter efficiency below threshold.

To replace the cat on corolla/matrix you need to swap out the entire midpipe - dealer price $1000+, dealer diagnostic fee $90, oxygen sensor $100 plus another diagnostic fee. All this happened after 36K was up, so if not for the techs knowing me, I'd be in the world of hurt.

·
Registered
409 Posts
man i wish i knew the dealership ppl around my area, id feel a bit safer, but allt he ppl around my area were shady bastards with trying to sell me stuff i didnt want or not telling me the exact options to get me to come to them.... god =) zoltiz ur lucky

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hey guys, i got the extended warranty. Figuring i was gunna hold on to this car forever, and it is the first model for the car......figure even if i use it 2 or 3 times.......... itll just about pay it off, if you get it right when your guying your car toyota pays for a good chunk of it, i think it was only about 800? ..........could be wrong. I was gunna pass then purchase it later if i wanted it, but you cant do that and have toyota give you the price break........happy driving

·
Registered
614 Posts
zoltis, that's pretty lucky man. good deal. but i thought replacing headers are illegal. or maybe that's just in CA.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I got the extended warranty. I had it on my last car, which was a '97 Cavalier convertible, mainly for the fear that the motor in the top would blow out and would have to replace. But it came in handy. I had a power window motor blow (550$) and my power steering pump developed a leak right near the end of it (450$) So those items were not covered by a basic warranty, powertrain or otherwise (plus it was a Chevvvvy) haha. So mine paid for itself. All the warranty is is piece of mind. Many of the major items are covered, but you might get the car made on a Friday when they're all drinking saki over in Japan and you get something that breaks after the initial 36k.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by Kwiksilver@Oct 19 2004, 12:36 AM
zoltis, that's pretty lucky man. good deal. but i thought replacing headers are illegal. or maybe that's just in CA.
15% tint is also illegal.

We don't have CARB in GA - hence as long as my car passes *not-so-strict* emissions inspections, I'm legal in GA.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I got it... 72/100 for 975. I only got it cause the car is a new assembly. Plus I have a habit of driving them kinda hard and playing in the winter when it snows....

I did the 72 month cause I financed it for 72 months. I would rather pay 14 bucks per month extra rather than pay 400 chunk if something like the window motor goes out (happend on my accord).

I would never have bought it if I would have bought the camry or the corrolla.

I would have gotten it on any american car I would have bought though... sad but true

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I was a little matter-of-fact in my first post -- the fact is that you guys are all right -- this is a matter of personal preference, of whether it makes you feel better. If you're worried enough about problems that the price of the extended warranty is worth it for the peace of mind you get in return, then get it. If not, then don't. It's a personal choice, and no one but you can tell you what you should do on this.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Originally posted by Shep@Oct 18 2004, 06:31 PM
Hey guys, i got the extended warranty.  Figuring i was gunna hold on to this car forever, and it is the first model for the car......figure even if i use it 2 or 3 times.......... itll just about pay it off, if you get it right when your guying your car toyota pays for a good chunk of it, i think it was only about 800? ..........could be wrong.  I was gunna pass then purchase it later if i wanted it, but you cant do that and have toyota give you the price break........happy driving
Yes..My no deductable extended warranty was in the upper $700 range as well. It is no doubt cheaper when you buy the car than if purchased later. I kind of hope I never need it though. I never usually purchase those things because there is a significant profit for the dealer in the sale of the extended warranty. Often baulking at the first time it is offered will cause a price reduction on the warranty because there is so much of a "cushion' in dealer profit. The dealer originally showed me a price sheet that listed it at about $1400. I did not bite at that price and he of course reduced it to the $700 range. They would. of course , been happy to take the $1400..if I had bit at first. Makes you wonder what they really make on the sale of the Toyota extended warranty?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts