Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
extended warranty worth it? i know the scions come with 3 year basic and 5 year powertrain, both same coverage but extend just goes longer???

pls help me out, i already purchased a platinum warranty for 6 years 100,000 miles for 1,695 but on the scion website they are supposed to offer it for 1,125 i have 30 days to cancel the orginal warranty. going to try talk to the dealership to give me the warranty at the price listed on the scion site. Did anyone overpaid??
i called scion toll line and they side that price should be the same except in the southwest, well i am here in ohio.

any help would be great!

Liz

·
Registered
936 Posts
hmmmmmm its all up to you. If you are the type of person who will be doing extensive mods to your tC over time, then dont get the warranty as it is to much trouble trying to get a modded car worked on (yes guys im well aware of SEMA laws). Dont ignore the fact that youre buying a tC based largely on the fact that its a sibling of a Toyota and therefore means unreal reliabilitiy........im sure you might be able to spend the 1100.00 elsewhere? JUST MY OPINION. -t

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually i am not going to be doing any mods but i wouldnt be suprised if my boyfriend does. according to the dealership, even if you #### up your own car doing mods, they can fix it no matter what. let me tell you something i heard, this girl had a matrix with 36,000 miles on her car when the engine blew. She brought it in and they couldnt figure out why it blew. So they came back to her and ask her if she did any regular maint on the car...she goes *raised eyebrow* whats that? they told her oil change tune ups etc, she said no. well guess what? they put a brand new engine in her car free bc of her platinum warranty.

you know what i told my boyfriend? in five years we are going to kill the engine before its paid off and get a brand new one in for another 5 years! lol

its not like i am not going to do oil changes etc, i just thought maybe i should get it for the peace of mind even if i take care of it what are my chances? i know toyotas are super reliable, i am coming from being a honda owner for 7 years and i know how hondas are, i just have to see if toyota is the same.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by bizzyliz@Jul 27 2004, 02:35 PM
actually i am not going to be doing any mods but i wouldnt be suprised if my boyfriend does.  according to the dealership,  even if you #### up your own car doing mods,  they can fix it no matter what.  let me tell you something i heard,  this girl had a matrix with 36,000 miles on her car when the engine blew.  She brought it in and they couldnt figure out why it blew.  So they came back to her and ask her if she did any regular maint on the car...she goes *raised eyebrow* whats that? they told her oil change tune ups etc,  she said no.  well guess what? they put a brand new engine in her car free bc of her platinum warranty.
you know what i told my boyfriend?  in five years we are going to kill the engine before its paid off and get a brand new one in for another 5 years!  lol

its not like i am not going to do oil changes etc,  i just thought maybe i should get it for the peace of mind even if i take care of it what are my chances?  i know toyotas are super reliable,  i am coming from being a honda owner for 7 years and i know how hondas are,  i just have to see if toyota is the same.
Peace of mind is important. Please dont let your friends experience with her Matrix, be even the slightest bit of a deciding factor in this case. Dealerships hate mods, and are rarely as compliant as your friends dealership was. I would say that you are pretty convinced already on getting the warranty, so it sounds like a good option for you........at least you will be covered many years down the road Also, and this is verrrrrry important, read the brochure on the warranty and get DEFINITIVE ANSWERS on what exactly is and is NOT covered........TRUST me on that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone can modify thier car but if there is a problem with axles, tranny, engine anything the dealer but show the "aftermarket" piece that was installed caused the car to break, If they can prove that they can totally refuse to pay for anything. Now you may get a mod friendly dealership but take it from me and my friends this is very true.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Scionlife folks call the Scion extended warranty a joke. I guess aftermarket is better. Or I read that one of them got extended warranty of Toyota's rather than Scion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts