Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K so not including the SC (for obvious reasons) what increases HP the most?

It's my understanding that cold air intakes usually adds only about 1-2 HP.
So is it mostly just for sound?

Does exhaust add much horsepower? or is it mostly for sound too?

And finally....I don't even know what headers are....if anyone is kind enough to kinda touch on all of these I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Eventually i want to get the S/C, but that's one of the last things im gonna do due to the cost. I wanna add a lil growl to my car, while increasing performance. What i DONT want is the riced out stupid high pitched sound I always hear from **** riced out civics. Ugh i can't stand that REeeeeeeeeeeeer.
Sounds like an effin toy car. Anyways, whats a nice way to add some grrrr to my car, without having it high pitched, or really LOUD ?

· Registered
193 Posts
Not to loud. Sound's real good IMO.

If your willing to buy both the trd exhaust and intake; I'll probably say $595, plus the labor lol.

· Ironhead
12,859 Posts
if you run the I/H/E set up, you are going to be loud. might as well go hi flo s pipe and full exhaust. check out the info section in this forum, and read up on the back pressure thing, it will address the header issue. also, good header info in this forum, just scan through topic titles, it has been dissected recently.
intake = unmeasurable power gain, good noise increase and a bling factor if thats your thing.
exhaust = good sound if you do it right, paul walker sound if you dont. gains? not on an axle back.

· Registered
111 Posts
I have an Injen CAI, a DC Header and a Blitz Nur-spec axle back exhaust and I've noticed some gains. I'm running 15.2 sec 1/4 miles right now (with stock tires I might add
). But the set-up is pretty damn loud.

· Registered
126 Posts
Originally posted by th3kill3r@Dec 28 2005, 08:44 PM
TRD Exhaust with INJEN CAI = Sexy sound. Headers are useless IMO.
Just out of curiousity, why do you "think" a header is useless?

Not trying to be mean or anything, but a header is not useless, the stock header is one of the most restrictive engine parts on our cars, along with the stock s-pipe, I'm currently running the Megan Racing header, ZPI s-pipe and Injen colad air intake and I'm loving the combination, all i need now is a custom catback system.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
It'll run. You don't want to be anywhere around without ear protection, and you surely don't want to suffer the consequences of running under load without any exhaust, but it will run. Briefly.

FWIW, the OEM header isn't restrictive. The OEM pre-cat is restrictive. Removing it violates many state laws and undeniably violates Federal law. So, there's no way for Toyco to compete with the aftermarket on a level playing field. The OEM's list of requirements includes compliance with state and federal laws. Guys making headers for smog controlled vehicles that are not smog compliant are the guys making it hard for SEMA to maintain a good reputation with the EPA and other Federal automotive groups.

· Registered
1,685 Posts
I have a Injen SES exhaust... and it sounds amazing! Real low and not too loud but deffinitly not too quite. I recommend it!!

· Registered
126 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4+Dec 29 2005, 11:20 AM-->QUOTE (basilisk4 @ Dec 29 2005, 11:20 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-gwtc
@Dec 29 2005, 03:14 PM
all i need now is a custom catback system.
...and earplugs!
[/b]
Not if done right, I'm sure you guys have heard of glass pack resonators right? they will work wonders

· Registered
126 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Dec 29 2005, 12:58 PM
It'll run. You don't want to be anywhere around without ear protection, and you surely don't want to suffer the consequences of running under load without any exhaust, but it will run. Briefly.

FWIW, the OEM header isn't restrictive. The OEM pre-cat is restrictive. Removing it violates many state laws and undeniably violates Federal law. So, there's no way for Toyco to compete with the aftermarket on a level playing field. The OEM's list of requirements includes compliance with state and federal laws. Guys making headers for smog controlled vehicles that are not smog compliant are the guys making it hard for SEMA to maintain a good reputation with the EPA and other Federal automotive groups.
I know the precat is restrictive, but even if the it was not there the header would still be the most restrictive part of the motor, have you ever seen how tiny the pipes on the stock header and how crappy the bents and welds are on it? and yes it is not street legal, so buy it at your own risk
. Oh! not trying to be a prick or anything, just trying to be more clear, thanks.

· Registered
193 Posts
why are you triple posting? It's called 'edit' button. I'll leave my headers stock, won't void warranty.

note: headers are useless. k thankz

· Ironhead
12,859 Posts
Originally posted by gwtc+Dec 29 2005, 06:21 PM-->QUOTE (gwtc @ Dec 29 2005, 06:21 PM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 29 2005, 11:20 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-gwtc
@Dec 29 2005, 03:14 PM
all i need now is a custom catback system.

...and earplugs!
Not if done right, I'm sure you guys have heard of glass pack resonators right? they will work wonders
. [/b]
yeah, like the exhaust isnt enough of a CARB violation. glass packs are needed to really increase the fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.