Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first start my car cold wait about 10 seconds and then take off I noticed that the engine is shaking or I can feel the car shake so to speak.

I am not used to toyotas manual transmission I just want to know if everyones does this, when the engine is warm the shaking goes away but sometimes it can come back even in the engine is warm for that matter..

Not so sure if this normal but I thought I would get some friendly advice before I headed up to the dealer to have it checked out, didn't want them to give me the glare...if you know what I mean.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Do you have the clutch all the way in

Just kidding...or at least I hope...I think the vibration you feel is probably normal, but it is violent or just kind of a light vibration, can you maybe be a little more descriptive?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not violent just subtle...I do have the clutch in all the way all of the time and still the rough vibration I want to say, I use the term rough in a harsh way, its more of a slight shake, but noticeable none the less.

When the engine warms up it complete goes away and sometimes it returns when its warm, could it be oil or something. I watched it the other day while it was supposedly shaking and the motor seemed to sit really still but you could hear it going up and down kinda in rpms, and the a/c was off btw. Not significant rpms but you know that slight engine rev. Kinda hard to explain but maybe I can think of some more clear terms later but for now I hope this helps.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
The engine runs open loop during cold cycle until there is enough heat in the exhaust to light up the catalytic converter and get the O2 sensor up to temperature. It usually doesn't take a long time, but during this time there is no feedback on the a/f mixture, the ECM is just using a value from the fuel map with a correction learned from the last time the engine was operating. This can cause a lope in the idle while the engine is warming up. It could also be a slightly dirty injector, but as new as your car is, it's not likely to be dirty unless you put some bad fuel in it.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
answer me this then, sometimes when I switch gears while driving there is this clunk sound like its engaging everytime I switch gears, does this sound eventually go away or what...cause in my honda it never happened and it sounds like it clicks after engaging the gear when releasing the clutch...

no I don't over rev the engine before I release the clutch, I drive it just like my honda nice and easy when engaging the clutch.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Originally posted by goldenchild@Aug 18 2005, 12:14 AM
answer me this then, sometimes when I switch gears while driving there is this clunk sound like its engaging everytime I switch gears, does this sound eventually go away or what...cause in my honda it never happened and it sounds like it clicks after engaging the gear when releasing the clutch...

no I don't over rev the engine before I release the clutch, I drive it just like my honda nice and easy when engaging the clutch.
a clunk? yeah i heard this when i test drove a couple manual tC's.. it was definitely an issue of either the linkage, or the synchronizers in the transmission.

your honda didn't do it because the syncho's were working properly. When the synchros went bad in my civic, i had that sort of "clunk" noise.. associated with a little grinding too.. but at 103,000 miles I guess something had to give. lol

i would take it to a good dealer and show them.. a lot of manual tc owners with transmission problems have ended up getting a whole new manual transmission installed, no more problems. I think there is a bad batch of manuals out there. unfortunate for you, sorry..

Others may say it's "normal" but any clunking and clicking in a transmission is NOT normal to me.. never.. so try a good dealer to get it fixed..

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
It's not the synchros, it's the counterweight they put on the selector. I seriously doubt anyone has had it "fixed" with a new transmission. I bet they just did a little sound insulation to prevent you from hearing the noise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.