Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,313 Posts
I think this is a little much pessimistic. Although I have to say I agree completely.

The aftermarket turbo kits out there are probably as safe as the next aftermarket turbo kit; read, not the safest thing in the world. 8 psi is probably a good compromise between all out power and moderate boost levels. The internals on the 2AZ are very sturdy and should handle some pretty insane abuse; the catch 22 is that no one knows for how long the engine will last with aforemention insane abuse. Consider this, the piston rings are probably the weakest link next to, before, or just after the axles. It took 14 psi to shatter the rings regularly across all four pistons, which is a bad thing, to be sure, but at 14 psi the tC is out raping just about every luxury sport compact out there. Leaving the psi at 10 will yield an STi killer that will be "reliable" with a "safe" tune. I quote those words as no one has actual real world mileage past 50k miles. It's anyone's guess when problems arise in waves. Or, as I predict, this wave of problems may never even come! I personally wouldn't bet on it though.

8 psi, in the general opinion of the enlightened folks at Scionlife, is a pretty far cry from "insane abuse." Here though, the general opinion is "don't put a turbo on a daily driver." I think the truth is somewhere in the gray area, as it almost always is.

Anyhow, a safe tune will solve the problem with torque and axles. Since the Dezod tC snapped its axle, they've pulled some timing and it's now pretty safe in Florida weather. Unfortunately, in AZ, the guy running the Dezod kit on a Florida tune got bogged to hell by the super rich mixture in AZ dryness and heat. That's another thing to consider. The "safe" preloaded tunes are in different climates and can result in adverse effects related directly to the weather difference. Other than that, the engine management systems run in these aftermarket cars generally come with a plug-and-play harness as an option which eliminates the splicing. ZPI's harness is a pretty good deal as no one has had any problems. The Dezod harness fried one Emanage. But so long as these, almost purely quality control, problems are defeated (most of the kinks should be worked out now, unless you want to order a kit and find a new one to be squashed..
) than you'll have a working engine management that'll produce a safe running.

Basically, I'm more optimistic than inevitablegod but I agree with him. I'll be waiting about a year for the first few turbocharged cars to hit 100k miles before I decide to go turbo.

· Registered
1,313 Posts
I think he's more around 6 or 7k on performance.

But honestly, 20k miles isn't enough to prove very much. The whole point most people here keep coming to is that even with a 'safe' tune, the turbo WILL eventually cause problems with the ECU. I'm one of the few that believes otherwise but it's not a testable theory at the moment. We're just waiting for you to hit at least 50k miles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.