Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new owner of a 06' tc..i want my car to go fast but dont know how..i also rely on my car..dont want anything to go wrong with my engine..my friend tells me to rebuild my engine for the "safest way" which increases up to 300 hp. my mechanic prefers a turbo (8 psi)...i need major help people..

·
Ironhead
12,859 Posts
i am curious how your friend figures you can get up to 300 without forced induction.
that much HP and the torque increase will leave you with more problems than a blown engine. your mechanic needs to do a little more research before he recommends a blower for you.
there is no absolute safe way to boost your tC. the safest would be the TRD supercharger. the leat safe would be one of the aftermarket turbos that fail to consider all issues one may have down the road, and not even that far down the road. first thing i can think of is the axles. one word - twist. there have already been reports of problems there running too much torque from a turbo. then think engine management - someone is going to be doing some cutting and splicing to get a management system in there, or your ECM is going to choke your motor to death.
if you want to use it as a daily driver, with minimal problems and upkeep costs, stay away from the turbos. not only will things go wrong, but nothing will be warrantied any longer. for a solid, spirited daily driver, the real answer out there is the TRD s/c.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I think this is a little much pessimistic. Although I have to say I agree completely.

The aftermarket turbo kits out there are probably as safe as the next aftermarket turbo kit; read, not the safest thing in the world. 8 psi is probably a good compromise between all out power and moderate boost levels. The internals on the 2AZ are very sturdy and should handle some pretty insane abuse; the catch 22 is that no one knows for how long the engine will last with aforemention insane abuse. Consider this, the piston rings are probably the weakest link next to, before, or just after the axles. It took 14 psi to shatter the rings regularly across all four pistons, which is a bad thing, to be sure, but at 14 psi the tC is out raping just about every luxury sport compact out there. Leaving the psi at 10 will yield an STi killer that will be "reliable" with a "safe" tune. I quote those words as no one has actual real world mileage past 50k miles. It's anyone's guess when problems arise in waves. Or, as I predict, this wave of problems may never even come! I personally wouldn't bet on it though.

8 psi, in the general opinion of the enlightened folks at Scionlife, is a pretty far cry from "insane abuse." Here though, the general opinion is "don't put a turbo on a daily driver." I think the truth is somewhere in the gray area, as it almost always is.

Anyhow, a safe tune will solve the problem with torque and axles. Since the Dezod tC snapped its axle, they've pulled some timing and it's now pretty safe in Florida weather. Unfortunately, in AZ, the guy running the Dezod kit on a Florida tune got bogged to hell by the super rich mixture in AZ dryness and heat. That's another thing to consider. The "safe" preloaded tunes are in different climates and can result in adverse effects related directly to the weather difference. Other than that, the engine management systems run in these aftermarket cars generally come with a plug-and-play harness as an option which eliminates the splicing. ZPI's harness is a pretty good deal as no one has had any problems. The Dezod harness fried one Emanage. But so long as these, almost purely quality control, problems are defeated (most of the kinks should be worked out now, unless you want to order a kit and find a new one to be squashed..
) than you'll have a working engine management that'll produce a safe running.

Basically, I'm more optimistic than inevitablegod but I agree with him. I'll be waiting about a year for the first few turbocharged cars to hit 100k miles before I decide to go turbo.

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,530 Posts
Super Chargers have problems they arent problem free. Turbos and Super Chargers both break its due to wear and tear every thing fails. The reasons the axels are breakeing and twisting is because they are using straight up drag slicks. If they use drag radials there would be alot less chances of this. So you being a dealer of course your going to want us to go SC but others we just want something different. The super charger just brings us in the "main stream" the complete opposite of what scion stands for.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Originally posted by bluesciontc@Feb 2 2006, 11:02 PM
Super Chargers have problems they arent problem free. Turbos and Super Chargers both break its due to wear and tear every thing fails. The reasons the axels are breakeing and twisting is because they are using straight up drag slicks. If they use drag radials there would be alot less chances of this. So you being a dealer of course your going to want us to go SC but others we just want something different. The super charger just brings us in the "main stream" the complete opposite of what scion stands for.
Most of the people on here recommend the SC because it keeps your factory warranty intact and if the engine blows (assuming they can't prove you mucked with it), Toyota will fix it. Along those same lines, the majority of us have our tC as a daily driver so we can't afford to be blowing the engine on some whim for a little more power. If it were me, I'd probably take the 3-5k you'd spend on the S/C or a turbo and get an S13/14/15 or something along those lines.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Oh snap! It's on kid!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I think he's more around 6 or 7k on performance.

But honestly, 20k miles isn't enough to prove very much. The whole point most people here keep coming to is that even with a 'safe' tune, the turbo WILL eventually cause problems with the ECU. I'm one of the few that believes otherwise but it's not a testable theory at the moment. We're just waiting for you to hit at least 50k miles.

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,530 Posts
BOOST is BOOST. Turbo if i set my turbo set up to 7psi the same as the SC then whats the diff. The supercharger actually puts more strain on the motor then a Turbo. Why do i say this you ask well it is belt driven. Also my car is going to be a daily driver and i am probably going to turbo it if i do moderate boost say like 7 or 8 i dont see a problem. I also dont see a problem trying to get the ECU refalsh too i bet that would help HMMMMM. I just think all of you guys are scared to turbo cause it really hasnt been done on this car. Ok be scared but the other ones of us are probably going to do it and find ways to make it work. In the end a Turboed tC will out run a TRD SC.

·
Registered
268 Posts
the S/C does put more strain on the motor cause it uses a belt. and i put $6,450 in my TC above purchase. $2400 more than a toyota installed S/C, but about 150 ho more as well. and i trust my work over a idiot that works at toyota, who overtightens lugnuts, and uses oil filter wrenches to put oil filters ON. ho and BTW, in that almost 20k miles of boost, it includes :driving back home to pa (from utah) and back, driving to baltimore, to north carolina, driving to cali recently. not to mention the runs up the canyon redlining every gear, taking it to the drag races this past summer. so no they havent been the most easy miles for the car. my compression is the same. no oil leakage, jacked up axles(which BTW only comes from people using drag slicks). so to ME the extra $6450 (which still puts me under 25K for the car) is SOOOOO much worth it, when i can go out and hand a 350Z his ass on a silver platter. then go bitch slap a STI. with a car that cost half of theirs (before modding)
josh

·
Ironhead
12,859 Posts
Originally posted by bluesciontc@Feb 2 2006, 11:02 PM
So you being a dealer of course your going to want us to go SC
please. my opinion has nothing to do with my being a dealer, and everything to do with several discussions with knowledgeable people. that's like saying my being a dealer is what makes me want people to buy a tC.
right, i give a damn about you purchasing anything from anyone but me. keep thinking that.
unless you have some real insight to how i really operate, you have no business telling me why i do the things i do. and you dont know me from adam.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
^^JDangle^^Why wouldn't you use a filter wrench when the manual specifies a torque for it?

What you did cannot be done by 99% of the people who own these cars for the same money. Just like my flywheel install cost me practically nothing, but everyone else not in NorCal has to pay about the same money they paid for the flywheel to get the install done.

And if you move to California, you will be restoring the car to stock or selling it out of state. You will not be able to continue cheating by registering out of state because the CHP keeps an eye on that stuff, and has for years. I know lots of guys who tried to register their Supras in Oregon or Nevada to bypass smog and got cited or impounded. Smog inspection is fundamental to registration, and you will not pass smog with that configuration. There's a reason I've been looking to leave CA for some time now...

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
I heard superchargers last the life of your car. If you want a daily driver that is reliable, why not just go with the TRD supercharger? It has 1 less PSI than you want and it is under WARRANTY! How much of a better deal do you want? Turbo's will only give you a worry wart on your FORE HEADD. rebuilding -the engine..? eh nah. Daily drive + some nice boost = trd supercharger. I think you really just want a car oyu can street race and use as a daily driver at once. You will end up ####ing your car up

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.