Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know where to put this.

I know you can buy the carbon fiber engine cover. But I really just want it to be dark blue or IIP color. I was wondering if I bought the paint from the dealership, primed the cover and just repainted it if it would hold up or if the heat would melt it off.

I never had a car that had an engine this clean looking so I just want to dress it up.
Let me know of any suggestions or sites with engine dress up parts.

· Registered
112 Posts
I have seen an engine cover painted red I think. It looked ok. From someone who has painted parts such as this before I would take the cover off and degrease it first. Second take a green scotchbrite pad to the cover and scuff it up a bit. Make sure the finish is smooth and not full of scratchs. Make sure you really want to do this before touching it with the pad because you will have to buy a new one. You should be good to paint once its scuffed, but if you want to do it right you should buy an adhesion promoter. It helps paint stick to plastic. As far as getting the IIP paint your local paint store might be able to get the paint code and mix up a batch for you. I'm personally thinking about taking that cover off completely and painting the cam covers. Looks more aggresive I think.

· Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was talking to a friend a little while ago, his shop has a mold machine.

You take the peice and put it on this plate and it drops a hot plastic over it and heats up real quick to make a mold and then they paint that to what ever you want. I might see about doing that first.

I have seen the carbon fiber I might go with that I don't know, maybe that and blue accessories or chrome.

· Registered
1,860 Posts
Yeah that is exactly what I am doing, since my turbo exhaust manifold will be stainless, then I am getting that engine cover off of ebay (carbon fiber) and then I am getting the AEM short ram polished whenever it comes out.

· Registered
4,234 Posts
I could do one. Pre-spray the cover with adhesion promoter, mix the coded paint with Bond-Flex-Tie, shoot that color coat, then over top with clear with flex and Smoothie added. And that sounds like a fine idea... time to see if my shop can do IIP...

· Registered
1,554 Posts
Yeah, the first one doesn't look very good.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Yeah, but it's an apples and oranges comparison. The first one is a painted plastic cover. The second one is painted metal cam covers. I agree, the plastic one looks like it would be better with a glossier paint, but it's not exactly fair to say one or the other unless you mean what does a painted plastic cover look like compared to the cam covers themselves being painted.

(Yeah, I like the cam cover job better too...)

· Registered
4,234 Posts
The cam cover is powdercoated-- so it's not just apples vs. oranges, it's $10 vs. $100. The job on the plastic cover is more satin than gloss, but the craftsmanship is there-- I don't see any obvious errors. Also a really close match to his inexplicable split-loom tubing. What's the obsession with that stuff? Great for bundling cables behind the computer or the TV... but it's presence in the engine compartment is just odd.

· Registered
1,554 Posts
Wow, I didn't even notice all the tubing until you pointed it out. That's crazy.

· Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That powder coat is freakin sweet looking, but I am on a tight buget right now. I think with a glossy paint for the cover it will look decent. I am sure I can find a good deep blue. I need to practice my spray painting before I attempt this though.

· Registered
733 Posts
I would go powder coated or polished, will do one or the other on ours.

Loom, yikes!

I like to strip down the harness and slid on woven nylon loom then heat shrink the ends. Problem is, at least two very long days of back breaking work, but I will do it:)

Rick

· Registered
1,686 Posts
be sure to take pictures and post them

· Registered
56 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@May 4 2005, 06:09 PM
Yeah, but it's an apples and oranges comparison. The first one is a painted plastic cover. The second one is painted metal cam covers. I agree, the plastic one looks like it would be better with a glossier paint, but it's not exactly fair to say one or the other unless you mean what does a painted plastic cover look like compared to the cam covers themselves being painted.

(Yeah, I like the cam cover job better too...)
I wasn't comparing the quality of pic 1 to pic 2. I'm saying the quality of the plastic cover is better than other plastic covers that I've seen painted the same way. I guess I should have specified more...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.