Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just surfing through the web, when i came across this link, hopefully it will work,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Scion-xA-xB...027541992QQrdZ1

what do you guys think, apparently it is an electrical fan, that i imagine would run from the alternator of the car. don't know how effective an electrical fan would be in compressing air enough to see significant gains. I just wanted to hear what your opinions where of this electrical supercharger.

If it does indeed work, which i doubt it would, around 12 hp gain for 100 its not bad.

P.s. sorry for my misspelling i am horrible at spelling.

[edited for spelling
]

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
It will do something. Whether it flows enough to be beneficial is another question. It's also going to suck power from your alternator which is driven by the engine, so there's going to be a trade off of some kind. If I were going to follow this path, I'd look at Kirill's set up. At least it does deliver enough air to make a difference.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Jan 8 2006, 04:37 PM
It will do something. Whether it flows enough to be beneficial is another question. It's also going to suck power from your alternator which is driven by the engine, so there's going to be a trade off of some kind. If I were going to follow this path, I'd look at Kirill's set up. At least it does deliver enough air to make a difference.
Hey Low isn't it true when you draw more power from the alternator, it becomes more difficult to turn the altenator.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Yup. Just like a supercharger, it takes hp directly from the engine, turns it into electricity, then drives the blower. Kirill's setup doesn't directly drive the electrics, but at some point his batteries have to be charged. That takes hp or a battery charger (and an bigger electric bill). There is no free lunch - except a turbocharger.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
If I got the picture right, your setup just uses the batteries in the back to drive, but they have to charge at some point or the whole thing stops working. Either you're charging them from the alternator or the wall outlet in the garage. In either case, you've added 80lbs of battery to the car too. That's what I like best about turbocharging: it uses waste heat so there's no real downside except there's no boost until you have enough waste heat to spool the thing. You could do the same thing you are doing with a turbine spinning an alternator to charge the batteries instead of compressing the air directly the way a turbo does, then you'd get boost electrically using a hybrid drive. It would definitely spool at low rpm, then the turbine would catch up and recharge the batteries while it drives the compressor. There would be losses, but it solves the low rpm boost problem. At a very high weight cost. It's all trade-offs.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Well turbos on the tC spool so fast that they're making full boost long before the supercharger hits full boost. On just about every review for a turbocharged tC (I can't speak from experience about driving impressions for turbo tCs) the driver talks about how boost comes on almost instantly. I don't think a lack of low rpm boost is a problem for the tC.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by PhamKL@Jan 11 2006, 11:04 PM
Well turbos on the tC spool so fast that they're making full boost long before the supercharger hits full boost. On just about every review for a turbocharged tC (I can't speak from experience about driving impressions for turbo tCs) the driver talks about how boost comes on almost instantly. I don't think a lack of low rpm boost is a problem for the tC.
I really doubt any of them make full boost at 1500 rpm. You could easily do that with a hybrid drive system. Full boost is also relative. It would be very impressive to have 12 psi at 2000 rpm. I doubt anybody's turbo will do that and still make 12 psi at redline.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I bet a 14B would make plenty of boost at 100 RPM..

Anyways, I think low RPM is relative too. By low RPM boost I was talking about 2000-2500 RPM. Also, by supercharger I was (accidentally) talking about the TRD one. But relative to the electric supercharger, I don't think that from 0 to 2500 RPM anyone would need to be boosting. Perhaps there are circumstances where one would need to have boost at such low RPM but in my, admittedly, very limited experience, I've never needed a great deal of power so low in RPM.

When I said full boost, I was talking about the ZPI kits with the cute little 16G. They start spooling pretty fast so I'm inclined to believe claims of near instantaneous boost. Even reviews of the Turbonetics kit say the same with their T3/4 turbo.

Anyways, I digress a little too far. I'm curious about this hybrid turbo idea. Has it been done before?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hey i dont know really what you are talking about but about the whole "spooling" thing, there is now way a turbo runing either off your drive belt (supercharger) or from your exhaust fumes being the turbo could ever generate significant pressure. Dont want to sound all physical or anything but you need the fan to be spinning at a certain speed in order to create enough pressure so that you could notice it. You will always be boosting pressure in the car as long as its turned on but hte more you accelerate the more that "fan" will turn forcing air into the turbo shell, thus compressing it due to its shape, then cooling down from the intercooler and forcing it into your engine. Thus fire is caused by oxygen the more of it the more ingetion there will be. So if you have compressed air form the turbo shell, that means more oxygen inside the piston chamber thus more ignetion and more power. I explination may not be too accurate i bet most of yo uknow this better than me but basically this is the function of a turbine.

so anyways going back to the topic about the companies that say their turbos are always boosting, yes offcourse but never that significant boost that makes you really feel it when you are accelerating.

sorry about my spelling but once again i think i am disleksick or how ever its writen.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by PhamKL@Jan 12 2006, 03:30 PM
I bet a 14B would make plenty of boost at 100 RPM..

Anyways, I think low RPM is relative too. By low RPM boost I was talking about 2000-2500 RPM. Also, by supercharger I was (accidentally) talking about the TRD one. But relative to the electric supercharger, I don't think that from 0 to 2500 RPM anyone would need to be boosting. Perhaps there are circumstances where one would need to have boost at such low RPM but in my, admittedly, very limited experience, I've never needed a great deal of power so low in RPM.

When I said full boost, I was talking about the ZPI kits with the cute little 16G. They start spooling pretty fast so I'm inclined to believe claims of near instantaneous boost. Even reviews of the Turbonetics kit say the same with their T3/4 turbo.

Anyways, I digress a little too far. I'm curious about this hybrid turbo idea. Has it been done before?
This is as close as we are getting to the hybrid idea. So far anyway.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.