Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just installed my cold air intake and I'm waiting for the filter to comein. Should I reset my ECU after i get the filter? or now? Also is it 5 minutes? or 10minutes? or 20 minutes to reset it? Ive been told a lot of times. Thanks guys.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
(a) Perform either one of the following operations.
(1) Disconnect the negative battery cable for more than 1 minute.
(2) Remove the EFI and ETCS fuses from the Relay Block (R/B) located inside the engine compartment for more than 1 minute.
NOTICE: When disconnecting the battery cable, perform the INITIALIZE procedure (see page 05-1).

Resetting is usually a good idea after any mod. It lets the engine start at factory base numbers and then it learns from there. Once you've given it a few key cycles to relearn what normal is, it's a good idea to use a scan tool and check for codes and any other information your tool provides.[/b]
Thanks lance; sorry aboutn ot seraching.

Where can i get one of these scan tools, and how much would it cost? Would I be able to understand it? Does that mean That resetting the ECU too many times isn't a great idea?

Thanks for the link.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Reseting the ECM isn't a great idea because it learns about the engine and makes adjustments to work better. There's a LOT to this, and I'm not going to type it all again.

A scan tool can be cheap if you just want to scan for DTCs, or it can be very expensive if you want to do more extensive testing and diagnostics. The cheapest scan tools I have seen are a little under $100. Search on scan tool, there should be some hits since we've also discussed this before.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the ECU = ECM? It isn't a good idea because it might learn to make the engine work better; so it could make it run slower because it might be better?

I guess I'll wait for my filter to reset my ECU.

Does it matter how long you wait after the mod to reset it? will that effect anything?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.