Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way home from work this guy was riding my ass and moved to the lane next to me and got to my speed, he gunned it about a second before I did and i passed him like he was barley moving. Same thing again after i put the brakes on, this time i opened it up a little more and he was about 3 cars behind me. I moved over to his lane and put my signal on to turn, and all i could hear was his engine reving and as I turned he passed me. Must have been the 4 Cyl. gs? but i thought it would put up a better fight than that.

· Registered
567 Posts
I thought all the Eclipse Spyder, which is the convertable, were GS-T's, all of them are turbo's. So either he wasn't a Spyder, or he stuck the spyder badge on the back. There's no contest in a GS-T vs. tC.

· Registered
4,327 Posts
Well the 3rd gen Eclipses had Spyders but with trim levels RS, GS, GT (you know this already)...but I think a GS-T would put up a good fight, I remember the 0-60 times in the 6.6 sec range.

· Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IT was a 3rd Gen.

· Registered
567 Posts
Ah, 3rd gen. Thought you were talking about the 2nd.

Those things are tanks. Slow and sloppy. GT is the only one to worry about in the 3rd Gen.

· Registered
268 Posts
rs's didnt come in the spyder, but the gs and the gst did. the gst is 210HP and the gs is 142 or 143HP. i cant remember. my GSX was 210AWD (when it was stock). i think the spyder i has the 2.2 motor while the rest have the 2.0 motor.

· Registered
3,358 Posts
Resist the temptation!

I have today!
A black civic si (prob 05) pulls up next to me and wouldn't leave me alone. I thought it was funny how he was trying everything to get my attention and to signal for a street race.

I resisted the urge to flooooR it and went home happily with my coke

...plus the car was riding on empty xD

· Registered
200 Posts
Break down of the different Eclipses

1st Gen 90-94

Base 1.8L N/A SOHC
GS 2.0L DOHC N/A
GS-Turbo 2.0L DOHC Turbo (FWD)
GSX 2.0L DOHC Turbo (AWD)

2nd Gen 95-99

RS, GS 2.0L N/A DOHC (DCX motor)
GS Spyder 2.4L N/A SOHC
GST Spyder 2.0L Turbo DOHC
GSX 2.0L Turbo DOHC (AWD)

3rd Gen 00-05?

RS, GS 2.4L N/A SOHC
GT, GTS V6
I'm pretty sure there was a Spyder model in GS, GT and GTS.

3rd gens are heavy and don't put up much of a fight. There is a local kid here running a very sleeper GTV6 with a Team Ripp S/C kit putting over 400hp to the ground. I remember rolling with him to a meet a few years ago and that 3rd gen walked my SRT like I didn't know which pedal was for go.

Here is a HUGE pic

· Registered
567 Posts
I like the engine.

The thing wrapped around the engine looks like a tank.

· Registered
533 Posts
Well if it was a gs-T spyder you were racing and if the driver knew how to drive, maybe you wouldnt have won...But the gs-spyders are crap when it comes to taking off...so heavy and no HP to push them...

Ive raced my friends gs-T spyder from a launch and taken him up to mid 3rd gear before he started catching...Those FWD turbo cars are very hard to launch without perfect tires....

· Registered
9 Posts
Originally posted by phungy@Feb 17 2006, 12:57 PM
Well the 3rd gen Eclipses had Spyders but with trim levels RS, GS, GT (you know this already)...but I think a GS-T would put up a good fight, I remember the 0-60 times in the 6.6 sec range.
2gen and 3gen had a spyder model. 95-99 gs n/a gst turbod. 2000-2004 spyder was gs and gt was the v6

· Registered
1,103 Posts
maybe it was a gst with a turbo leak. i'd like to have a GSX to tinker with they were beasts. the super ghetto skyline.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
turbo engine with significant boost leak << NA version of the same engine.

BTW, few turbo engines are completely free of boost leaks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.