Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Probably because they suck. Seriously, though, I have no idea why Scion chose to leave them off, but I'm really glad they did -- I hate having lights that can't be turned off.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Just another gas wasting "feature." Glad they decided not to include them.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4@Mar 11 2005, 09:19 AM
I hate having lights that can't be turned off.
They can be turned off on my dad's 02 Camry.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Love it how on the boards of the cars that have DRLs standard everybody is bitching that they suck, but when they are gone - people start to miss them.

I personally don't care. If they are there - good, if they are not there - still good. Bulbs are cheap - I can keep my lights on all the time if I feel like being safe.

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
i found drls to be a pain in the ass when I was trying to get on the navy base. they like the lights off or on parking mode when you roll up to the security check point.

now, if i want drls I can turn the lights on. or not.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by Plissken@Mar 11 2005, 03:42 PM
I was a big fan of my lights coming on automatically on my Corolla.
Lights coming on automatically and daytime running lights are not the same thing. On my 1999 Corolla, the daytime running lights were always on, and the headlights would also come on (in other words, the same bulbs would get brighter, and all the other lights on the car would come on) when the sensor believed that it was dark enough to warrant lights.

I liked the auto-on feature, but would have liked to be able to turn it off like my dad could on his Avalon. However, even on my Dad's 2000 Avalon, turning off the "auto-on" lights would NOT prevent the daytime running lights from coming on.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have 2001 corolla with DRLs. I got tired of not being able to turn the lights off when I was parked at night, so I cut the wires connected to the relay and soldered a toggle switch to them so I could turn them on and off.

So, I think they should have done something similar to that for the tC. DRLs can be useful since during the day, the lights aren't as bright as the lights you use from your regular non-DRL lamps.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
i like marty's answer, because THEY SUCK!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
The tC does have DRL's, in a sense - the parking lights. It's the first car I've ever seen that turns on a set headlights as parking lights. So I'm using the parking lights as DRL's, just that I have to manually turn them on.

Steve

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah, on the Air Force Bases the security forces dudes hate lights on when you roll up to the gates...they can't see shiiii.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I drove a 04 corrola once and it had drl. I so wanted to smash the dashboard becauseI CAN'T TURN THEM OFF!! If I can't see, I will turn the lights on. If I can see, why did some dumb wit guy behind the toyota gates decided that others are too dumb to turn on the light?

I just can't stand designs that appear to be clever but just plain dumb. drl is one of them. What makes these people think that people don't know how to turn on their lights anyway?

Besides, many might be confused and thinks that drl are normal lights, so they don't bother turning on their normal head lights even when its dark, in effect, drl makes it LESS safe to drive then cars without.

I heard there are auto swipers. Imagine your car got a bit of water drops and the auto swiper turns on and scrach sands and dust all over your windshield.

I for one was very happy to see that tC has no drl.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Yeah, give ME the option of having my lights on or not. If I need help deciding when to use my lights, I'll ask for it. My lifted 98 GMC has DRLs and I'd like to turn them off especially in a drive thru when I'm tanning the heads of the people in front of me. The only way to turn them off when the engine is running is to put it in park and apply the E Brake. I'm glad the tC doesn't come with them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It depends on the car, I guess. In my other Toyota, the switch allows me to set to Auto which will have DRL on and automatically turns on the full head lamp when it's dark.

I can also set it to off in which nothing will come on.

I guess in some cars like the Corola, Toyota is trying to save some money.

And, oh, shifter, don't worry about the auto wiper. It's hard to scratch the windshield. Glass is not easily scratch by some dirt. However, your blade may be bad, though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.