Scion tC Forums banner

driving w/ e-brake

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  lo bux racer 
#1 ·
so today when my mom was driving me in my tC, she had the ebrake up. I didn't noticed it till about 1/2 a mile of driving. could this have cause any permanent damage?

i was told it damages the brake & discs
its been bothering me all day

#2 ·
Originally posted by jeetdialer@Mar 21 2005, 04:36 PM
so today when my mom was driving me in my tC, she had the ebrake up. I didn't noticed it till about 1/2 a mile of driving. could this have cause any permanent damage?

i was told it damages the brake & discs
its been bothering me all day
why would you let your mom drive your car?

#3 ·
I doubt it would damage it too much. Im sure there are so many people who have done this. I accidentally went like 10 feet in reverse with e-brake but i realized it when i was revving increidbly high.

#4 ·
1/2 mile isn't 10 feet though. Driving for prolonged time with the e-brake up used to burn up drum brakes in older cars (from what i have heard...I expect to be corrected by lo-bux
)....as for what it would do to disc brakes...I'm not sure. I've heard it causes the brake fluid to boil from the excessive friction.

#5 ·
It happened to me once not too long after I got it and since it's my first manual car, I didn't really have a feel for it at the time, so I went in reverse with it for about 10 feet too, I guess.

Hello. My name is Ali, and I'm a Car Beater...

#7 ·
Originally posted by Pharohz@Mar 22 2005, 12:15 AM
It happened to me once not too long after I got it and since it's my first manual car, I didn't really have a feel for it at the time, so I went in reverse with it for about 10 feet too, I guess.

Hello. My name is Ali, and I'm a Car Beater...
You've just completed the first step
I'm so proud!

#8 ·
It's probably fine, but I'm sure it got plenty hot. If it still works, and the brakes don't feel weird, you're likely just fine.

#11 ·
Originally posted by Labfish@Mar 21 2005, 10:18 PM
So does it cause the fluid to boil off? Or does it just scorch the rotors. Now I'm curious.
Neither. It scorches the drum brake inside the hat on the rear discs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.