Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEY GUYS! I just started to drive a stick shift and I have some questions that I wanna ask. How come wen I switch from 2nd to 3rd.... 3rd to 4th....4th to 5th gear... my car shakes like crazy? I tried releasing the clutch slowly.... den faster... den moderate.. I cant see to find the "perfect point" where the car will change gear smoothly. Any suggestions?? THX guys!

·
Registered
243 Posts
shouldnt this be in the transmission section? also, i drive an auto so i dont know.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
It seems to be ok to me, you just have to make sure that you apply equal pressure to both pedals one coming up and one going down and visa versa, otherwise I don't notice any shake at all, and if you are a first timer it takes some getting used to

·
Registered
14 Posts
Because your engine has slowed down too much for the next gear. Try giving it a little gas as you let the clutch out to rev the engine to the right speed. I've been driving my tC for 2 weeks and it's my first 5 speed, so I'm still learning. This is something I had some trouble getting used to, but once you figure out the right amount of gas to give it as you shift, it'll get a lot smoother.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Make sure you're shifting at the appropriate speed for the gear you're switching to. There's a recommended shift point list in the manual.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The only time my car ever does something I'd refer to as "shaking" is when I give it too much gas shifting into third (and shifting at too low an rpm). The shifter and front of the car vibrates and makes a rattle for a second.

If the car is lurching forward, ceasing to accelerate, then lurching forward again, you're probably re-engaging the clutch too soon. It's (I assume at least judging by what it feels like) skipping on the flywheel.

If the car decelerates sharply when you re-engage the clutch, you're doing it too late.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Originally posted by 2006tC@Aug 21 2005, 06:08 PM
HEY GUYS! I just started to drive a stick shift and I have some questions that I wanna ask. How come wen I switch from 2nd to 3rd.... 3rd to 4th....4th to 5th gear... my car shakes like crazy? I tried releasing the clutch slowly.... den faster... den moderate.. I cant see to find the "perfect point" where the car will change gear smoothly. Any suggestions?? THX guys!
You may be lugging the car, which is REALLY bad; this is when you upshift too soon into too low an RPM and then hitting the gas hard to compensate. It cna very quickly cause permanent damage to your engine. What rpm does the engine dive to when you fully engage the next gear?

-Ed

·
Registered
106 Posts
practice with the catch point... and if you have a friend with a diff car that is stick try and drive it... when i learned how to drive stick i had a had "shaking" problems with my VW.... my friend let me drive her honda around for a little and when i got back into my VW i noticed improvement..... good luck.... STICKS ROCK!!!!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
you are probably shifting at too low of an rpm to get into the next gear

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
It's all about timing. I've been driving the tC for over a year, and some days I'm all nice and smooth, other days I just keep missing the "perfect moment" and jerk a little.

Shaking like crazy does look like lugging, though. So shift at higher RPMs - I can't force myself to shift below 3K anyway, so I wouldn't know much about lugging.

·
Registered
107 Posts
also make sure you are pushing the clutch all the way to the floor when you shift.i had problems with this too.only been driving a stick since may.hehe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well today I was driving it and the car felt much more smooth than the other days I drive it. Maybe i just gotta give it some time until I fully get used to the car. When I practiced with a stick 10+ yr old truck, I had no problems. Thanks guys for the help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.