Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The manual said while breaking the car in, not to drive slow in a high gear. (ie 40-50mph in 5th gear or even slower in 4th gear)

I sometimes do this, letting the car coast a bit if traffic is slowing down. Is this a BAD habit even after the car is broken in?

·
Registered
34 Posts
My friend realy F'd up his truck grinding up hills in high gears... (keep in mind i'm a computer guy not a mechanic) i am fairly sure coasting is not a problem. I think it has to do with the engine having to realy work to move the car at the higher gear ratios.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Just don't let the engine "lug".

45 in 5th is ok, but don't try to accelerate from 30mph up when you are in 5th. Simple as that.

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
you'll know when you are coasting too slow in 5th... I think a car that is jerking and surging might be a good indication that it may be time to shift.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Originally posted by moriarty@Oct 11 2004, 03:13 PM
you'll know when you are coasting too slow in 5th... I think a car that is jerking and surging might be a good indication that it may be time to shift.
yet another good piece of advice. yes, if you're in too high of a gear for your speed, first the car will be very slow to accelerate and will probably putter and jump a bit... almost feels like its gunna stall. Coasting in gear is fine, as long as if you slow down alot... that you downshift to accelerate again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts