Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Yeah, I love that term. I still wonder which magazine thought that one up. It's not a snap anything, it's compression braking on a FWD with a manual gearbox.

You really need a different attitude about driving to daily drive a manual. If you are annoyed by having to constantly think about what you are doing and why, stick with the auto. If you don't like the car slowing very quickly and possibly dramatically when you just lift off the gas, don't get a manual.

If you're a control freak and feel that no automated system created so far can accurately anticipate your needs, then you are the ideal fit for a manual.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
I drive stick with a phone without issues. But I've been driving manuals since I was 6, and that was 39 years ago. The only time it's a problem is when I have Starbucks in my left hand and the phone rings while I'm at a light. Then it gets dicey. Still I usually have my BT headset on anyway, so I don't have to waste a hand holding my phone. With the headset, the phone is no more distracting than having a conversation with someone in the car.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
I have yet to have a woman believe that one...

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Everyone knows women aren't dense. They float much better than men do. How could he be so wrong?

My wife has no real desire to learn to drive a manual. She's tried it, but it just doesn't make sense to her, and for her attitude toward driving, she's better off with an automatic. If she had the choice, she'd be chauffeur driven everywhere. Her comment to me was, "I don't want to think that much about my driving." That isn't because she's female. There are plenty of men with the same attitude.

If it ever becomes important, you'll learn. If it doesn't you won't. Just like anything else in life...

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
I guess you've never driven with someone who can't talk to you without looking at you.

Driving with handsfree is no different than a conversation in the car. Driving with a radio is just as distracting, so they should ban all car audio. And while they are at it, they should make smoking in the car illegal because accidents have been caused by smokers dropping cigarettes in the car, and by smokers using their lighters and not paying attention while lighting a cigarette.

Of course cupholders would have to go, because you can't drink and drive, everyone knows that, and for sure, they should get rid of all those distracting gauges and lights. Lord knows what you might hit if you're watching a gauge instead of the road.

Then too, we need to ban all children from riding in the car, because they scream and yell and constantly ask, "are we there yet?" What could be more distracting that children in the car?

Of course outside the car, we really need to dispense with all the billboads, street signs, and other distractions we are constantly forced to deal with.

See what I mean? You have to manage the driving task, you have to manage your attention, and it doesn't matter what the distraction is, it's up to you to make it work or suffer the consequences. Legislation is not the solution, driver education and training is.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Legislators often do things to "prove" they are "doing something" about the "problem." There are so many examples of this and the stupidity of the general public when they do this that I don't even want to start pointing them out. You get the picture.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Yeah, it scares me too. But I don't think we need to legislate a solution!

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
You guys who would ban cell phones are being foolish. So should we ban cop's radios? I did patrol for a physical security company for a year, and I lived and died by the radio. It took a lot more to manage than any cellphone I've had. Would you suggest ambulance drivers give up their radios too?

This is such a stupid discussion. It's all about attention management. If you get in an accident because you can't manage your attention, you shouldn't be driving anyway. And yes, talking on my bluetooth headset in my car is no more engaging than talking to a passenger. Simple attention management, nothing more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.