Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As everyone know by now, the tC door swings open fast and hard.... sucks for neighbors and friends that park next to us, tC owners. I've had this car for almost 3 month already and scraped off some paints from two different cars. i try very hard to open my door slowly, but it always swings open... and for some reason, makes a big scrape on other cars! but not a scratch on my door!.... well, i was fortunate enough to have good neighbors that told me to forget about it... but, anyone... find any door pad or anyway to avoid these accidents???..

yes, i try to park away from cars... yes, i try to open the door slowly, but the damn door swings open everytime!... and makes a huge scratch on other cars...

any thoughts??

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a thought - please don't park next to me. No offense but if you can't manage to open your door with out putting a "huge" scratch on someones car your pretty careless. I've had my TC 6 months and my door has never touched anyones car when I opened it. , and luckily no one has scratched my car.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yeah if you hold the handle, it should be fine, dont push it open slow and im sure youve got some muscle to hold onto it

To answer your question though, I bet any doorguard would work from autozone or murrays or whatevers around your area, just dont know how nice itd look.

·
Registered
5 Posts
you must be too strong or you are assisting the door swing with a push from your leg/forearm because there are no hydraulic assists in the door hinge to make it swing open wildly. if you unlock and JUST pull the door handle see what happens...... nothing, the door just pops open a few inches.

oh yeah, please don't park next to me either...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by mikebb@Jun 23 2005, 06:15 PM
I have a thought - please don't park next to me. No offense but if you can't manage to open your door with out putting a "huge" scratch on someones car your pretty careless. I've had my TC 6 months and my door has never touched anyones car when I opened it. , and luckily no one has scratched my car.
i have a thought, what a great fricking waste of words.....no offense.... but next time, don't bother to express your opinion.... answer the damn questions.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Originally posted by mikebb@Jun 23 2005, 06:15 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. Rather than looking to buy something to solve the problem, just be more careful when opening the door.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Originally posted by armyguy+Jun 24 2005, 06:20 PM-->QUOTE (armyguy @ Jun 24 2005, 06:20 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-mikebb
@Jun 23 2005, 06:15 PM
i have a thought, what a great fricking waste of words.....no offense.... but next time, don't bother to express your opinion.... answer the damn questions. [/b]
Nice additude.

Don't park next to me.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by armyguy@Jun 23 2005, 05:44 PM
As everyone know by now, the tC door swings open fast and hard.... but, anyone... find any door pad or anyway to avoid these accidents???..

yes, i try to park away from cars... yes, i try to open the door slowly, but the damn door swings open everytime!... and makes a huge scratch on other cars...

any thoughts??
Yep. Be more careful opening the door. It's long, it's heavy, and it gets inertia really easily (remember that law Newton arrived at - an object in motion tends to stay in motion?).

I have actually accidentally tagged another car, but I was on the top of a 6 story parking structure and the wind took the door as I opened it. Only a Terminator could have stopped that door!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Don't encourage him mr lance.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm not defending armyguy, but I did notice that I need to be more careful when opening the door on my tC than with my 90 Eclipse. I think the problem is that the only handle on teh door is so far forward on the door. Shortly after I got the tC, I thought about adding a recessed handle further back on the door. Then I got used to it and forgot about it. But if Scion is listening, it might be a nice improvement. My $0.02.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"did anyone purchase a door protector or some accessory for the door?"
if you're confused with this question, please move on... stop adding unnecessary comments on this board. thank you.
stop repeating the same thing over and over again.. please~ it is very annoying... Stop repeating, "open it slowly, don't park next to me,.. blah blah blah..." .. thank you

·
Registered
15,001 Posts
i agree with you, but this is the internet...youre gonna get the "wannabe comedians" or "post whores" or even the occasional person offering the obvious advice. dont worry bro, those normal folks arent sweatin' ur question, and try hard, as i know it can be, to ignore em. its easy for people to be like that when theyre behind a screen.

as far as the door goes, im strong, extremely strong and i still occasionally have the door get outta control if im not paying attention. i doubt there is anything for sale to help, but i do try parking away from people for my own sanity and to protect my door.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Originally posted by armyguy@Jun 25 2005, 11:21 PM
thanks... i've seen those thin rubber pad, i think, on some car doors... i wonder where they sell them.
Yes TBova is right. Get door guards. I think that is what you are referring to when you said "the thin rubber pad". It will not only protect your door but the cars parked next to you as well. I got em after my mom let the door swing open when she got out and it scratched the car next to us
I got them from the dealership but you can get them at any auto parts store.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Maybe it's because my first car was a 95 z28 camaro that I'm confused as to how people are calling the tC's door heavy. Now that camaro would get away from you in the wind.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.