Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the pdf for the autodimming mirror installation which shows how to remove the overhead dome light assembly. It says: "With a panel removal tool, carefully remove the overhead dome light assembly. Pull downward to remove overhead console NOTE: Ensure removal of all (3) white plastic clips."

So do I literally just stick my fingernails in there to get a grip on it and then pull? Or is this panel removal tool supposed to help release the clips? I've tried pulling on it a little, but I'm too scared that I'll break it.

Also, is the rear light assembly removed in the same way?

·
Registered
936 Posts
you are removing the whole unit with those directions. But i refuse to give you advice on how to change bulbs until I know you arent putting some stupid blue or red or green ones in there. Someone else might be willing to help you out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by TCrazy@Aug 4 2004, 03:00 PM
you are removing the whole unit with those directions. But i refuse to give you advice on how to change bulbs until I know you arent putting some stupid blue or red or green ones in there. Someone else might be willing to help you out.
i am not putting colored bulbs in the dome lights. i just want to change them to a brighter white.

are you implying that there is a way to change them without removing the whole unit? would i just remove the clear plastic lens cover? i took another look at it, and there seems to be some spots around the clear plastic edge that might be little tabs holding it in?

·
Registered
675 Posts
if you could.. can you get the dealer to show you the shop manual or have them copy it for you? i've had dealers who do that for me before for something like a dome light..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'll try asking them when i go in to pick up my green slip. i'll post information on it if i get it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, so i put in some white led's in the dome lights. i had to figure it out myself....but that makes it all the more satisfying now that it's finally done. just popped off the plastic lens cover (start at the side by the switches.) and make sure not to twist the lights like the little arrows tell you to do. grrr, it took me a while to fish the socket base out after it fell back into the recesses of the housing. yeah, no need to twist, just pull on the bulb. had to use a rubber jar opener to get a grip on the tiny bulb.

so here is the pic i took. the led's are not as bright as i thought they would be, but now they coordinate with the white light around the ignition...which is why i changed them.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Looks good! If originally the light source was from a bulb, how did you get a LED to work in there?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Super Bright LEDs

this site has a bunch of led bulbs to pick from...and pretty cheap. the led is on the regular bulb base. oh, btw, the rear dome light (not shown in my picture) is a festoon bulb, not a wedge like the front ones.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i bought the single led wedge base bulb for the front dome light, because it said that it offers a wider viewing angle.

i used the 4 led wedge base bulb for the two front map lights---the bulb has a more concentrated light for reading

then the 31x10mm festoon base bulb for the rear dome light
...one more note on the rear light, instead of just tugging this one out like the front lights, you push back a little metal clip that's holding it in on one end and it just falls out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh yeah, i think 1157 and 1156 are more common bulb types for tail lights...brake, turn signal, and back-up bulbs

·
Registered
53 Posts
so with the LEDs, do the interior lights still get slowly get brighter? ie. when you unlock your car.

now i understand that LEDs are either on or off and have no stages in between. maybe they light up one by one? just a thought.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by integsrtite@Sep 12 2004, 01:17 PM
so with the LEDs, do the interior lights still get slowly get brighter? ie. when you unlock your car.

now i understand that LEDs are either on or off and have no stages in between. maybe they light up one by one? just a thought.
They will not light up gradually. For that reason, I only used LED bulbs in the map lights.

·
Registered
53 Posts
wow thanks for the quick reply.

on a side note, anyone know which of these would fit the city/parking lights? the manual doesn't show a size for them, just the wattage and bulb type.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
The parking lights (assuming we're both talking about the small bulbs that stick in from the bottom of the headlight housing) are 194s. I put 9-LED cluster bulbs in there and it looks great.

·
Registered
53 Posts
wow... talk about reviving an old thread. anyways, since you have the 9-LED bulbs, how would you rate them, on brightness.

i'm planning on swapping a few of my bulbs to LEDs and now my friends interested. he has an 02 TL which uses 1157 for rear turn signals. he wants to turn these into LEDs, probably the 30 cluster O_O.

so based on what you can see with your 9 LED bulb, would you say that a 30 cluster of LEDs would be bright enough for turn signals?

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
LEDs are a bad idea for turn signals, at least on the tC. Because they draw so much less current than standard filament bulbs, some cars (including the tC -- I have first-hand experience) will not recognize that there is a bulb there. On the tC, the turn signals will blink really fast if you have LED bulbs installed. It gets really irritating -- I tried this for about a month and finally just switched them out for normal clear bulbs.

As far as brightness, the 9-LED bulbs are very bright. Another problem with these LED bulbs, though, is that LEDs are more fragile than the traditional filament bulbs that are manufactured these days. One of my LED bulbs has only about 3 LEDs remaining, and it looks kinda pitiful. The heat from having the headlight bulb so close by may have some to do with it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey, thanks again.

As for using LEDs as turn signals, there are load resistor kits that can simulate the 2 amp laod of a filament bulb. I know someone who soldered a variable resistor into the turn signal relay, and can now control the speed of his turn signals by varying the resistance (turning a knob) since for certain cars, the speed is determined by the resistance.

My friend was actually thinking of using LEDs for his rear turn signals, so heat shouldn't be too big a problem. I was actually thinking of using LEDs for my front signals, but thanks for the warning. You just saved me 20 bucks. :-D

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Hey, glad to be of service. You're right about the load resistors, but that just seemed to me like a tremendous waste of time and money just to change how quickly the turn signal lights up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts