Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if performing your own oil changes can void the warranty, or at the very least make it very difficult to obtain warranty work? How do I record the fact that oil changes were done every 5000 miles? I don't want anyone saying that I just said I did changes every 5k miles and in reality skipped a few. Do I just keep receipts for the oil and filters that I purchase and staple them in the service manual? This seams like it would make dealers and potential 2nd owners weary of the car.

Also, I've never changed my own oil, which I'm actually ashamed to admit. Both my grandfathers, and father changed their own oil and performed their own maintanace (within reason of course) when they were younger, and I feel I should at least do it once so I know how. If it's not that dificult and time consuming I'll keep doing it myself, assuming the afore mentioned warranty issues aren't a problem. Do you guys have any suggestions? Most importantly, where do you guys take the old oil to be discarded?

(by the way, I searched and couldn't find anything pertaining to this...jeez, it seems like every new guy needs this legal disclaimer to avoid unfriendly confrontations
)

Thanks

Lucas

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Don't consider someone offering the sage advice as an unfriendly confrontation. Despite some people's tone, is really all in good fun.

This is a great site with members who contribute a great wealth of information. Its just gets frustrating sometimes (as well as creating a number of threads about the exact same thing) when people drop in and ask a question that has been answered a number of times over.

Regarding the oil changes, it is my understanding that unless you pour sand, Lucky Charms or something else that doesn't belong into the hole that oil is supposed to go in, you should be in good shape. Warranties get voided when you do something stupid and the problem you're experiencing is proven to be your fault.

Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
^ Nice post. Welcome to the site and just like Wolo said, some veteran members naturally have little patients for answering old questions so don't take it personally of someone snaps and writes something that could otherwise be taken as insulting.

In regard to the oil changes, I've been doing them myself from about 3K miles on, it's really easy, and with proper preparation takes no more than 20 minutes to do it all by yourself. I had my dad teach me what to do, and my 2nd and 3rd change got easier and easier. The more you do it, the easier it becomes. This has nothing to do with your warranty, as you are not restricted on where you change your oil, b/c your local mechanic could ultimately do the same thing that you're doing. So yeah, change away!

When I change my oil, I usually pour it out of the oil changing pan into a gallon jug and then my dad has a discarded oil station at his work, so we just deposit it there. I personally don't know where you should discard your oil to be recycled, you'll have to ask your local autostore or mechanic, and they may direct you.

I personally like to do the work myself b/c I know the quality and I dont have a trusted mechanic. My family and I have had some good and bad experiences and if you can do it youself and save a few bucks, why not?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys! I was realy being sarcastic with the whole legal disclaimer bit. It just seems funny that either every newbie has a disclaimer that he searched or a quick reply from a moderator that he needs to. But I do realise that it's all in fun. Thanks again.

Lucas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.