Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If not, I want to deem this car a lemon and return it. I'm tired of the hatch rattles and the radio squeak and the creaking sound from the passengers side rear view mirror.

Those of you living in cold climate areas or playing music constantly may not notice any of the above. But for the rest of you, what are you doing about the rattles, squeakes and creaking noises?
 

· BOOST its what I do!
Joined
·
6,530 Posts
Cold climates will hear more rattles then a person living in a warm climate. Oh and my dads 2005 Subaru Doesnt rattle it is solid as all can be. But then again it shouldnt cause it is an Expensive car.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,498 Posts
[OT]It made me laugh to hear someone refer to a Subaru as "an Expensive car." Don't get me wrong -- I'm aware that some of them cost a pretty penny these days; I just find it funny that anyone would pay "expensive car" dollars for a funny-looking discount car brand. Flame on, but don't feel the need to tell me that Toyota used to be a discount car brand, which I know, or that Scion is one currently, which I also know.[/OT]
 

· Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Originally posted by rosskoss@Dec 6 2005, 07:01 PM
If not, I want to deem this car a lemon and return it. I'm tired of the hatch rattles and the radio squeak and the creaking sound from the passengers side rear view mirror.

Those of you living in cold climate areas or playing music constantly may not notice any of the above. But for the rest of you, what are you doing about the rattles, squeakes and creaking noises?
No, it does not fix the rattles.

Just because the car was inexpensive does not mean that we should expect rattles, that's just BS.

The 11 year old Mazda MX-3 that I traded in for my tC rattled less. As soon as this holiday season is over, the dealer will be hearing from me; and hopefully fixing the problem.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,498 Posts
Yes, the fact that the car was inexpensive means that you should expect less. Cars, like all consumer goods, are imperfect, and the less you pay, the less perfection you can reasonably expect.

Those of you who are so bothered by the rattles should trade your cars and be done with it. That is, unless you've found a way to convert complaints into nanites that will get inside the car and fix the rattles.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,498 Posts
Of course, I understand that people want perfection when they spend good money on a new car...but then it wears off and you get reasonable.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4@Dec 7 2005, 11:10 AM
Of course, I understand that people want perfection when they spend good money on a new car...but then it wears off and you get reasonable.
LOL. I mean it. So every three months when the windows and headlights failed, I can get a new VW.


In another word, I am fine with tC the way it is, hopefully no rattles for me, not yet at least.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
I have rattles too, but you can't expect perfection from a car whos base price is in the teens. come on, its not a lexus ls430. now that, is perfection.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,144 Posts
Originally posted by We11Spring@Dec 7 2005, 08:36 AM
No, it does not fix the rattles.

Just because the car was inexpensive does not mean that we should expect rattles, that's just BS.

The 11 year old Mazda MX-3 that I traded in for my tC rattled less. As soon as this holiday season is over, the dealer will be hearing from me; and hopefully fixing the problem.
I agree completely.

The '89 BMW I had before the tC was valued at $3k and rattled far less. My brother's Altima doesn't rattle at all. My dad's $16k Dodge truck doesn't rattle either.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
The '89 BMW I had before the tC was valued at $3k and rattled far less. My brother's Altima doesn't rattle at all. My dad's $16k Dodge truck doesn't rattle either.

tC is fairly new and the hatch+roof are not long-term tested. I know someone who had a 2005 tC that rattles like crazy and he's for ways to getting rid of it.

I guess that's the chance you take for buying a new model car. And of course a lot of people are going to say it's worth it or it's ok simply because it's by a car company they happen to like.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Don't think that they are not working on repairs for these rattles also, I'm having some stuff done for my roof, if I see results I will post what they did, so far it seems to be a very basic easy fix if it all works out. I'll let you all know,

~Ben~
 

· Ironhead
Joined
·
12,859 Posts
rattles? yeah, i got rattles. and i know that it comes with the territory. i purchased a first MY tC, with a production number under 4000. a vehicle with new designs, untested. it happens. it certainly doesnt qualify for a lemon, so dont go throwing that around like you actually know the lemon law.
people seem to think that toyota just doesnt want to fix this for you. or that they put out a car with this issue knowingly. i drive an 05, and i drive 06's every day of my life. and not one of them rattles before it leaves the lot. not a single one. then you get out on the road. and the road sucks. and potholes suck. and speed bumps suck. and driveways and parking lots and just about everywhere you take your car except a track. and you drive fast, and go over railroad crossings fast and get pissed and slam gears and drive fast and brake hard and all that #### that happens when you own a car. and things pass their limits. hatches rattle. a moonroof creaks.
sorry bout it. we will continue to improve the vehicle as we produce them. we will fix anything that we can reasonably fix. if your dealer sucks, dont blame toyota. if they dont want to fix things, take it somewhere else. find someone who will.
or get over it. and realize that this kind of thing can happen, it wasnt on purpose, and people are aware of it and trying to help. /rant
 

· Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4@Dec 7 2005, 09:51 AM
Yes, the fact that the car was inexpensive means that you should expect less. Cars, like all consumer goods, are imperfect, and the less you pay, the less perfection you can reasonably expect.

Those of you who are so bothered by the rattles should trade your cars and be done with it. That is, unless you've found a way to convert complaints into nanites that will get inside the car and fix the rattles.
Sure it was cheap, but for a car to start rattling after less than 1 year of usage...is that too much to ask?

However, after experiencing the rattles like this in my tC, and the complete lack of defects in my friend's Mazda3 (comparable price). Ironically, the idea behind Scion was to get people started early on purchasing Toyota products. This tC has had the opposite effect upon me, and I probably will never buy another product from this brand. Oh well.

I'll live with this rattling for a few more months until I get my company car.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
834 Posts
Just so you know not everyone is squawking about their rattles, I've been very easy to get along with even though My car has been a rattle trap since about 1000mi were on the clock. It's true I've blown off a little steam on here once or twice, but when a buyback was offered, I declined because I like my car!
I can't see how some folks think it's unreasonable to expect a new car to seem new for more than a month or so. I don't remember ever saying Toyota isn't trying to fix the problem, But I will say as far as I've seen they have yet to succeed. The past few weeks since I got my car back from its extended visit to Wilson Motors, I've simply kept the radio turned up and tried to ignore the noises.
The amount of effort that has been put into this car and I'm sure many others is rediculous. If they can't fix it after I drop it back off Monday, I'm doubtful they will ever be able to. Headliner number five is currently in my car as apparantly they don't come out without creasing someplace. I'm sure my dealer has several thousand dollars wrapped up in my car and it's still not fixed. If you ask me that's not fair to me or to them. I don't get the impression that Toyota will be footing the entire bill and that is dissapointing to me.
Okay. Enough out of me.
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top