Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Yes there are laws saying you can't remove it and yes, it is there. It is part of the mandatory passive restraint system (airbags) which is illegal to remove or modify according to federal law.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
over in europe they use them to track your mileage, which you are then taxed on. at least it isnt like that here (yet).

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by richcali1@Jan 9 2006, 10:10 AM
So what law states that we are required to have a black box that determines our speed in an accident?

This same black box isn't just an airbag notification system.
Its an integral part of the airbag ECU, it cannot be separated from it. Removing the airbag ECU will get you in trouble with the Feds and your insurance company. This doesn't mean people haven't done it, but it does mean if you get in an accident you'll have a lot of explaining to do and probably some fines to pay on top of anything else you might get from the accident.

FWIW, the data from the boxes has been used in the US and Canada to provide evidence against drivers in a number of states, including a drunk in Florida who killed a young woman backing out of her driveway onto a residential street. The data recorder indicated his speed at greater than 100 mph. They have been on the road since the 70's when they first started collecting live crash data.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its an integral part of the airbag ECU, it cannot be separated from it. Removing the airbag ECU will get you in trouble with the Feds and your insurance company. This doesn't mean people haven't done it, but it does mean if you get in an accident you'll have a lot of explaining to do and probably some fines to pay on top of anything else you might get from the accident.

Not exactly. Show me where a person has gotten in trouble for removing it because he felt it was an invasion of privacy and also show me where the insurance company has a legal right over your black box but you own the vehicle? Does the DOT approve this and where is the standard to collect and gather information on these black boxes? These black boxes can be used for good and also the bad of trial lawyers.

This is not about safety as you are led to believe but more of a choice as a consumer if you want your vehicles to have these boxes that let people know beyond your control if we had our seat belts on, our speed, breaking position, etc...

Also what fines do you pay if you remove the black box? Who do you pay them to?

Just my opinion.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4@Jan 10 2006, 06:45 AM
Too bad there's no law against making people pay for safety equipment they don't want.
too bad there is no law against trolls.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by richcali1@Jan 10 2006, 11:06 AM
Show me where a person has gotten in trouble for removing it because he felt it was an invasion of privacy and also show me where the insurance company has a legal right over your black box but you own the vehicle?
I don't know what you mean by "legal right," but if the insurance company issues you a policy for a car with such a "black box" and you subsequently remove it, the insurance company might well deny coverage on a claim if the insurance company finds out that the box was removed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Why would you want to remove it IMO it should stay god forbid there is a mechanical error and something happens that little black box could tell the whole story and save you from a crap load of insurance bills and from suffering a crap load of trouble from the local authorities.. Thats just IMO..

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
The reason some people want to remove it is because they don't want the police or an insurance company to be able to use the information the box records against the car owner himself.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well see that I understand but then on the flip side of things what if there is a manufacturer defect (Saturn Vue for ex) and the car goes out of control and it gets blamed on you having that box with save you a load of aggravation...

The way I see it is if your not acting up behind the wheel and driving like a normal person then you should have nothing to worry about right? IMO

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Then install one yourself. Like rich said, it's a privacy issue. These things are to protect manufacturers and insurance companies, plain and simple. If it happens to help an individual, it's an accident, not an intended consequence.

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,604 Posts
So um how is it an invasion of your privacy? Airplanes have black boxes, is that an invasion of your privacy too since you are riding on the plane. The reason why the black boxes exist from what i have read about them, is that they are used to help understand what exactly happens to the vehicle and its ocupents during a crash. It is so the manufacturer of the vehicle can make improvments on there future cars are make recalls on there current vehicles. So if you think this is an invasion of your privacy think again, it is there to help you and future people from geting hurt.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you read the article up above on the first page then you would understand what I'm talking about.

Let me repost it:

Black Box Article

As far as having a black box on a plane who would be foolish to think it's not a good idea to have one? Not a very good comparison.

Another question don't you think overzealous Trial Lawyers would love to get their hands on these little black boxes for either the good or bad of lawsuits?

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
This all makes sence. I did not know that cars had a black-box kinda thing in the ECU. But it makes perfect sence to have that in there. If you are in an accident, then the police or accident investigators can tell what exactally happened to the car.

One question for Lance and/or Marty: Where is this black box located? Is it next to the ECU or actually part of the ECU?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.