Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing a lot of research on a cat-back exhaust for my car. I have read that Megan and Blitz cat-back exhausts decrease low end torque. So, do aftermarket cat-back exhausts decrease low end torque?

· Registered
5,132 Posts
Originally posted by filmnews@Feb 19 2006, 08:05 PM
I have been doing a lot of research on a cat-back exhaust for my car.  I have read that Megan and Blitz cat-back exhausts decrease low end torque.  So, do aftermarket cat-back exhausts decrease low end torque?
No, this is a myth, as dispelled in a recent issue of Sport Compact Car. The cat-back portion of the exhaust system is so far downstream of the exhaust ports that the difference in diameter will not have a significant effect on exhaust gas velocity at the ports themselves. The wrong design header will affect low end torque because it will not maintain sufficient exhaust gas velocity at the port to scavenge exhaust gases as well as one with narrower ports (this is why 4-2-1 header design is better for maintaining low-end torque than 4-1 header design).

As such, wider is always better from a cat-back perspective.

If you need further clarification, feel free to ask.

-Ed

· Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks EddNog,

I still have the stock header on the car. So, if I only switch out the cat back exhaust, I should not lose any low end torque?

I also hear a lot about back pressure build up with a exhaust bigger then 2.25". Is this true?

· Registered
5,132 Posts
Originally posted by filmnews@Feb 19 2006, 08:20 PM
Thanks EddNog,

I still have the stock header on the car. So, if I only switch out the cat back exhaust, I should not lose any low end torque?

I also hear a lot about back pressure build up with a exhaust bigger then 2.25". Is this true?
You should not lose low end torque with stock header and a cat-back swap.

There's no physical way for backpressure to build with a wider pipe.

-Ed

· Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EddNog, I have one more question.

What cat back exhaust would you go with? I don't want to spend more then $400. So, that cancels out the magnaflow exhaust. Thanks for the infor. I want a nice deep tone, not ricey!

· Registered
5,132 Posts
Originally posted by filmnews@Feb 19 2006, 08:28 PM
EddNog, I have one more question.

What cat back exhaust would you go with? I don't want to spend more then $400. So, that cancels out the magnaflow exhaust. Thanks for the infor. I want a nice deep tone, not ricey!
Sorry, you canceled out my choice.

-Ed

· Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will probably go with the Megan exhaust,I just wanted to make sure I would not lose torque.

· Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jdangle,

How far does the exhaust hang down. I read somewhere it was a inch off the ground. My car has not been lowered.

· Registered
268 Posts
my friends is lowered and it hangs about 2-3" off the ground. it hangs no lower than a injen exhaust. a little bit higher than the inside of the rim. ill get a pic as soon as i can. my friend and mine's schedule conflict, but i will try fo you man

· Registered
248 Posts
I have the Magnaflow catback, to bad you're not getting it. Far from ricy with a subtle, quiet throaty sound. I've heard megan on a tc, sounds good. Though I don't like the angled look. It's much louder then a megnaflow. Hope you like it in the end and don't end up being one of those poeple that are forced to like it becuase of the money they spent.

· Registered
268 Posts
go to a muffler shop, get a rubber hangar thats 1/2"-1" longer than the original, and your good. you you can do what i did on my friends for a quick fix just so you can get it installed good until you can make it to a muffler shop. i personally dont really like th magnaflow cause of the welds. not that great of quality (i have seen many) and i just think if a company cut corners on the welds, what else did they cut corners on that will bite me in tha ass down the road? like greddy evos that rust out after a year. (mine and ATLEAST 20 others didp when i had my type-r), not to mention the magnafolw axleback wont give any gains. it doesnt have mandrel bent pipe, and its not stainless (PM and i got into mulitple heated arguements about their mufflers and the quality) im honestly happy for the tc guys who got it and like it, I personaly dont want a exhaust that looks like it got made at mom and pops muffler shop though

· Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Could you possible post a video of the Megan exhaust? I would love to hear what it sounds like.

· Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

· Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the link. Sounds good but a little too loud in the cabin for my taste. I cruise to work at 80+ everyday and I think the constant hum would get on my nerves. Is it mainly because of the larger muffler tip that causes the louder sound? Not sure if you could choose a smaller tip diameter to decrease the sound output.

It might also be there is nothing in the cabin to reference the sound level to.

· Registered
1,860 Posts
Originally posted by JDangle@Feb 20 2006, 08:47 AM
go to a muffler shop, get a rubber hangar thats 1/2"-1" longer than the original, and your good. you you can do what i did on my friends for a quick fix just so you can get it installed good until you can make it to a muffler shop. i personally dont really like th magnaflow cause of the welds. not that great of quality (i have seen many) and i just think if a company cut corners on the welds, what else did they cut corners on that will bite me in tha ass down the road? like greddy evos that rust out after a year. (mine and ATLEAST 20 others didp when i had my type-r), not to mention the magnafolw axleback wont give any gains. it doesnt have mandrel bent pipe, and its not stainless (PM and i got into mulitple heated arguements about their mufflers and the quality) im honestly happy for the tc guys who got it and like it, I personaly dont want a exhaust that looks like it got made at mom and pops muffler shop though
Yeah well the cat-back I was talking about is fully custom I do not like the magnaflow cat-back that comes from magnaflow cause it removes the resonator my setup which will get done soon is going to keep the resonator and be a full new catback. Its tons better.

· Registered
268 Posts
oh ok. cool. i personaly like the stainless look. adds something nice to look at when your behind a car. like seeing a swaybar, and lower link in the suspension. just attention to detail if you ask me. but im glad you like yours

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.