Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Looks like they're aiming for a mini-Magnum. Name and design lead me to believe so. I think it works. Looks pretty good. They'll probably sell a few.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Not my cup o' tea.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
^^^ but, it could be so much better.

looks like the vibe hit the gym. and the 'roids.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4@Nov 18 2005, 11:18 AM
Looks like an uglified Matrix.
its an uglified matrix/vibe w/all toyota engine choices (1ZZ-FE, 2ZZ-FE/GE possibly redesigned to get 2.0 liters, and 2AZ-FE) judging from this:

The best engineering minds from around the globe [aka, we hired engineers from Toyota Motor Co. in Japan] were brought together to design the Caliber's powerful new engines [which we bought from Toyota]. The World Engine family is a series of advanced four-cylinder engines with dual variable valve timing (VVT) [which means we got the Toyota engines that are VVTL-i, which we also added to the 2AZ-FE] in 1.8. 2.0, and 2.4 liter displacements that deliver world class power and efficiency [we just thought that restating what Toyota has done with these engines for the past seven or so years to make them look like it was our idea in the first place was an excellent marketing strategy].[/b]
IMO i just think that they are sick and tired of being labeled with having poor gas mileage on their cars that have balls (ask uberingram about his srt4s gas mileage). i look at that page and what is typed on there, and i just cant see how dodge can take any ownership of this, it looks like it was all taken from Toyota... the VVT, CVT2 (which are on the prius hybrids), AWD... and the fact that the body resembles a matrix is all too coincidental...

over the past decade ive started to notice (and probably even before i started to notice at first) that american automotive corporations are starting to get the picture that their cars just cant hold up to imported cars (and im not just talking about japanese, but also european, thus why dodge owns mercedes and maybach; ford owns mazda, jaguar, and aston martin; and gm owns saab, opel, volvo, and vauxhall) and why their resale amount on their cars drops significantly more than say a honda, toyota, etc. when the car is driven off of the dealers lot. im not saying that the american companies should change what they are trying now and go back to their old, gas guzzling ways; im all for their initiatives to change the way consumers look at their products and every motor company in the world's ultimate goal of finding an alternative fuel that delivers the same amount of flexibility and power that oil does for the current internal combustion engine.

it just really pi$$es me off when i hear die-hard american motor fans brag on and on about how much better an american car built by the average joes of this great country of ours is vastly superior to those "ricers" or [email protected] euro-trash cars (sarcasm not intended for great country of ours). when part of the reason why we are running out of oil is because of those american muscle cars that drank gas left and right, causing the owner to fill up the tank after 2 or 3 days of normal driving...

just my $.02

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Horsepower comes from your gas tank. Period. There are no exceptions. Let that sink in for a minute.

·
Registered
15,001 Posts
im sorry but the only thing i think of when i hear magnum is my condoms...and caliber i think, not up to the caliber of its competition..malibu maxx-like, i like the direction of dodge's products, however this time not so enthused.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Lets not leave out the fact that SRT model is slated for release at the end of it's initial model year. F that ***** NA garbage you posted. Cast iron 2.4L of boosted goodness. And since it will be a shared platform with the newly redesigned Lancer then there are AWD possibilities. 230 WHEEL horsepower is nothing to scoff at for a 20K price tag even for being so ugly lol. MOPAR or NO car. Built on the race track and tested in real life.

A couple of other things I would like to point out...

Number one, I did NOT buy my car expecting nor wanting good gas milage. If someone buys a specialty car wanting that then you're just an idiot, pure and simple. She isn't the greatest but I average about 22 mpg with spirited driving. If my gas concerns get too high I'll just fork over for a tC as my daily beater.

Secondly I don't know where people get off saying domestics are built cheaply. I have regularly beat the living #### out of my SRT-4 since I owned her. I wiped the floor with a Mustang GT leaving the lot after buying her and less than 10 miles on the ticker. Break in? Pffft. I strapped her to the rollers and cracked off 220 wheel on a bone stock 03 (smaller injectors) with 20k miles of abuse on it. She gets regular track visits. Hell, she's been spun off the freeway into gravel at 60+ miles an hour and the only thing that happened was a scuffed rim.

Thirdly, form follows function. Bench race interiors at the car show...that's where the diaper-wipe queens go. My A/C works, my radio plays and my Viper style seats keep my white ass planted while in the twisties.

My take on the Caliber? It's ugly as sin but the SRT model is going to keep whooping ass on the track. I'm just glad Dodge (and affiliates) have gotten back to their performance roots eye sore or not.

/tired-too-early-for-a-Saturday-rant

·
Registered
202 Posts
Originally posted by Ryan'sTc@Nov 19 2005, 07:51 AM
Sorry I posted that ***** ass garbage. Next time I will get your permission before I post uberingram. I was just posting the press release info not your sacred srt info. And if you wana go there the srt model looks like a mini van with a hood scoop.
Don't take me too seriously, I do drive a Neon after all. I hate the stupid thing. Hell, most of it isn't even American built. The rolling chassis and SRT motors are built in Mexico. The VVT motors are Hyundai built (www.allpar.com World Motor) with Chrysler funds.

Viva la Korea!

I just like giving a Josh a hard time.

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,604 Posts
Dodge=Garbage. The neon SRT-4 yes it is fast but yet stilla a neon at heart. I cant really say to much bad about it but i wouldnt drive one. I respect how fast it is. But finally something good came out of dodge besides the Viper. I have test driven one and I wasnt impressed. I drove an STI thats impressive i have driven a 1999 Impreza 2.5 Rs with a turbo running 9 PSI and 320 to the wheels thats impressive. But there is something about american cars these days that i just dont like and i think it is the quality of how the car is made. Made cheap price jacked up and crapy customer service id rather own a Japaneese or a European car I will never own an american car unless it is one of these noted right here. Ford GT (ill never get one), Dodge Viper SRT-10 Coupe (ill never get one), Corvette C6 Z06 (possibilty but i will never get one), Saleen S7 (never get one), Jeep wrangler (I know what you are thinking where the hell did that come from i just love jeeps and i will probably get one), Shelby 427 Cobra (never get one), And last but not least a 1967 Shelby GT 500. Thats it anyhting i leave out Nope i didnt.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Dodge=Garbage[/b]
...and yet you want a Viper. Pot smacketh kettle!

The neon SRT-4 yes it is fast but yet stilla a neon at heart.[/b]
2 door Camry with factory installed rice?

I cant really say to much bad about it[/b]
Too late. lol

But finally something good came out of dodge besides the Viper.[/b]
You are just full of contradictions, aren't you?

I drove an STI thats impressive[/b]
For 30,000 dollars it had damn well better be.

i have driven a 1999 Impreza 2.5 Rs with a turbo running 9 PSI and 320 to the wheels thats impressive.[/b]
RS's have weak trannies. Unless treated and/or replaced outright I would consider it trashed by now.

But there is something about american cars these days that i just dont like and i think it is the quality of how the car is made. Made cheap price jacked up and crapy customer service[/b]
How so? All of my domestics have held up damn well. My dealer service is also way above par when considering the imports I've owned. I've taken my car back twice for snapped half shafts (wheel hop pwns me) with obvious mods to the car and the dealer replaces them no problem. I took my Mitsu in for a leaky water pump and they tried to tell me that my cat back exhuast caused the water pump to fail. Fu.cking please. My DSM's interior fell apart fast. It was by far the cheapest interior I have ever owned. My POS Dodge as you call it is fantastic. It has survived my daily abuse day in and day out without a single complaint or hiccup or major recall. Not bad for a first run car. At least our 04's didn't have moon roofs that exploded or fell apart.

I will never own an american car unless it is one of these noted right here. Ford GT (ill never get one), Dodge Viper SRT-10 Coupe (ill never get one), Corvette C6 Z06 (possibilty but i will never get one), Saleen S7 (never get one), Shelby 427 Cobra (never get one), And last but not least a 1967 Shelby GT 500. Thats it anyhting i leave out Nope i didnt.[/b]
Good choices.

Jeep wrangler (I know what you are thinking where the hell did that come from i just love jeeps and i will probably get one)[/b]
Love 'em. Me and my father restored a 46/47 Willys with the original 4 banger.

I can dish out biased crap just as well as the next guy. Lets agree to disagree.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My girlfriend has a 2005 chevy aveo. The thing, for the most part, sucks ass. But then again, it cost 10 grand new, and it gets her/us from place to place in an ok manner. However, it is mostly a daewoo (which I dislike), and so far its only saving graces have been the kuhmo tires and the shift knob.

I dunno, I like american cars because they are damn strong (better be with how heavy they are), and because they are a part of our culture.
But I also like foreign cars because a lot of the time they have a more unique design than domestics, and seem to be good at staying alive after long bouts of 'teenager' driving.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Huh?

tC curb weight = 2905
SRT-4 curb weight = 2870

Or are we talking V8's and minivans here?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.