Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On occasion I have trouble getting the car to go in either 1st or R. The clutch is fully depressed and I am at a complete stop when this occurs. Also, there have been time when I have been coasting at under 10 mph and tried to shift into 1st and get the grind. Are these problems with my clutch or is this normal on occasion?

·
Registered
658 Posts
About the grinding it does the same thing to mine, but i try not to shift into 1st when moving unless i'm driving less then 5 mph. If i were you if are driving at 10 mph just give some more gas, shift to 2nd and closly release the clutch.

·
Registered
453 Posts
okay this is normal....for ur first ?....the inability to get into either first or reverse, is some weird phenomenon (can most -likely be correctly explain why by lance)...to get into gear simply shift to either first or reverse whichever is the opposite of what will not engage witht eh clutch in....then the gear again

if first doesnt engage, push clutch and put into reverse, then put it back into first it should engage

i usually only have this trouble trying to get into reverse, so what alsoi works when the above doesnt, is putting into gear in forst barely inch forward. then trying reverse.....it always works for me

for the second question, i would not shift into first above 5 mph or less, thats whycars have brakes, use them and give the clutch a rest....if u do shift above 5 mph or so u will get a grinding sound, and in my experience anyhting that grinds is bad!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
give ur car a break! usually when im rolling (car still moving) i just simply ease it into 2nd (very easy on car) even if im going 5mph...i NEVER downshift to 1st when the car is moving even when comming to a complete stop say im in 3rd going like 20 i will just hit the brakes and put it into neutral....then you stop without the change of gears...its easier for the car.

the only time i put it into 1st is if im going up a steep hill and i feel the car slowing when im already in 2nd or if im at a complete stop and i need to start movin again.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Ohh yeah if you want to go in reverse just press the brake all the way and the clutch. If you are still unable to shift in reverse let the brake go and then press it again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.