Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I know that RMS is all that matters in an audio subwoofer system (and I already know that someone is going to say that I am wrong but whatever)

Anyhow, I needed to know if the TC's alternator would be strong enough to withstand that kind of continual wattage. Now I know that eventually if it can handle the wattage, the alternator will become weak and I will need to get a new one. Otherwise, I would be ok.

Just wanted to see what you all knew about it...thanks.

Matt

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
No you dont need a cap with 300 watts rms. i doubt that'll even dim ur head lights. just run 8 gauge wire with a 30 amp fuse you'll be fine. If your interior lights dim when the bass hits when the engine is running, think about a 1 farad. Good luck dude.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is what my system will consist of...in case you all were wondering.

Lightning Audio Strike 12" SVC X 2

Phoenix Gold 4-Channel Amp w/ 4 Guage Power Wire, Etc.

And of course the box and etc...I will post pics when I am all finished.

Matt

·
Registered
252 Posts
Unless the capacitor has some feature you like (voltmeter, LED's, etc) your better off spending your $ on something else. Capacitors can never charge to a higher voltage than is available so they really can't help a charging system that is not up to the task.
I personally just installed a 700 Watt system ([email protected]% distortion) and have no problems. If the amps were rated using the new standard my system is 1028 Watts ([email protected]% distortion).
I would ask any manufacturer that recommends capacitors "why wasn't the amp designed right in the first place?" The idea that you need to give a guy another $100+ for a part to make his amp work right never set well with me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Unless your amplifier is pulling more than 40-50 amps. You probably shouldnt need it.

But a 1 farad cap can only help.

·
Registered
252 Posts
You can say a capacitor can't hurt, but it really doesn't help. Capacitors do not generate any current (alternators do). So there is no current demand threshold that would qualify a system for needing a capacitor. All energy needed to move a speaker ultimately comes from the alternator.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm sure Ohio Generator can produce one if they have already. They make some bad ass alternators. Just be prepared to pay for it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.