Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup y'all. Sorry if I sound rude, but I am new here and its been a late night, and I just finished making a Cold Air Intake kit for my 05 TC. In short, it was a little bit of a learning curve, cause I am new to the import cars. Most of my others were GM, but in these outrageously priced gas days, I needed something a lil better on gas. So I wasn't too familiar with how this funky engine likes to adjust itself as you journey on your way. So to all you out there who are about to make the same mistake I did, DON'T USE 3" PIPE, YOUR IN FOR TROUBLE. Or perhaps one of u geniuses could tell me a way to use 3" pipe, cause the MAF sensor doesn't like it very much at all.

I was going to take some pictures and include some instructions for those less mechanically inclined. I used a K&N filter to boot. U can definetly save some money. To fab everything, and buy the K&N filter, its about 70-80 well spent dollars.

LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT THE PICS AND INSTRUCTIONS..... IF SO, I WILL POST THEM HERE SO EVERYONE CAN AT LEAST CRITIQUE MY HANDI-WORK......

LEMME KNOW WHATS UP.........................

Peace grease and chains man..............

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Pics are always welcome. Me personally, probably won't try to follow your path, but I love the DIY stuff and can appreciate it.

I stopped at this stage: http://zoltiz.com/cars/tc/intake/ And only put it on for kicks every once in a while. There is no performance gain in this thing but it sounds cool.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are the pics. I would like to put them here, but for now, they are on my friends site. The work I did myself.... Don't be too hard on me, I spent some quality time screwing with this thing, and I must say, I, if no one else, am proud of my work.

Check out the pictures here

My Webpage

·
Registered
339 Posts
im sorry but the tc deserves better

i just bought a k&n cold air intake on ebay for 200$ and installed it myself and it sounds GREAT, that looks like a cheap 2$ job.

plus imagine rolling up to the dealer for service and they open the hood to see that...

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by greg091@Jul 26 2005, 03:04 AM
im sorry but the tc deserves better

i just bought a k&n cold air intake on ebay for 200$ and installed it myself and it sounds GREAT, that looks like a cheap 2$ job.

plus imagine rolling up to the dealer for service and they open the hood to see that...
$200 for losing 0.2 sec in 0-60

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic....=asc&highlight=

It is a great *audio* mod, though

P.S. Vapor, if you can mass produce that foglight insert with a piece of flex pipe that can go up to the stock snorkel - you can make some good money...

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by nascar9900@Jul 26 2005, 09:25 AM
This is slightly off-topic, but is his Bridgestone tire coming off the rim in the second-from-the-bottom picture?
Nope, it's a "wheel protector" ridge on the tire.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Not to threadjack too much-- as I feel it's in the same vein-- but I'd like to show my very own "ghetto fabulous" cold air treatment. The goal is the same, but the execution is quite a bit different.

The OEM airbox is retained, holding a K&N panel filter. Replacing the OEM downstream piping is a 2.5" I.D. aluminum elbow, scavenged from my bin 'o intake parts.

Connected to the elbow is 3.0" I.D. flexpipe, which extends down to the front bumper. You can see it here, through the hole that most CAIs intake their air-- which is immediately adjacent to the exhaust manifold, I might add.

The flexpipe then joins another piece of 2.5" I.D. aluminum, which is fitted to a 2.5" I.D. rubber coupler-- the very kind you find in the plumbing section at Home Depot. That sticks out of the mini-grille hole in the bumper.

And that's my ghetto cold air extension. Combined with capping off the upper resonator (the "heatsoak box") , I reduced cruise IAT by 3-5º, and IAT at idle (heatsoak affected) by about 20º.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
i kinda did the same thing dr. isotope did.

it uses all of the stock components.... all i did was route some cold air to the intake's snorkle. but now that its summer and because the ground is so hot, i have clogged it up so that its not routing the hotter air near the ground to the engine

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
I wonder if my fat ass Memory flex air duct will fit like yours did hamster :/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.