Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

It's getting to that time where I can to get a car alarm installed. My last alarm I had installed in my car, I was just curious how hard it actually is to do it? I have a lil bit of electrical know how... ...I guess the question is... should I pay someone to install the alarm... or just go ahead and do it myself...

Also, what parts of installing an alarm are considered difficult

Any information would be grateful...

Thanks

Jeremy

·
Registered
7 Posts
On my last 4 vehicles I installed an alarm/keyless entry/remote start system myself. On the tC I had the dealer do it as I didn't want any issues with voiding my warranty etc.

I've been kicking myself for that decision ever since. If I do the install I know that the connections are soldered (not quick connects). I know that the device I select has the features I want - not the ones that the dealer likes, and if I want to reprogram the unit then I don't have to chase the dealer around to get the instructions. And price: Through the dealer it cost me ~$625.00. If I had done it myself it would've cost me ~$100.00 and the better part of a Saturday!

So long as you get a directwire chart for the tC it's a pretty easy task:

Some things to consider:
Installers do this for a living and can get it done in about a third the time it will take you to do in your driveway.

You won't be able you use your factory keyless entry as it will set off the alarm.

Don't use quick connects, take the time and do it right - solder the connections.

If any of this gives you a scared feeling in your stomach then have someone else do it.

Just my 2 cents.

CLS

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Something to note: It is illegal to solder wiring harness connections on aircraft. There's a reason for this, soldering wiring harnesses is not a reliability enhancement, it is a fault waiting to happen. Both the flux and the solder wick up the wire and create a stress point under the insulation which will fail under vibration and cause faults which are nearly impossible to troubleshoot. All modern aircraft have crimped harness connections for this reason. The Air Force banned soldered wiring harness connectors on aircraft more than 15 years ago, and has spent hundreds of millions of dollars rewiring old aircraft with new connectors. It is not the way to go if reliability is important.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
^^He's right you know (of course he is, this is Lance we are talking about). For those of you who don't know, I'm currently in the Air Force doing avionics work. All of our connectors are crimped. We use solder occasionally, but it's only for commonly replaced and easily replaceable parts. Never for permanent hard wired connections.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
FWIW, I didn't understand it until it was explained to me. This was after I tried to order a solder style Cannon plug and received a crimp style unit. When I tried to return the crimp one to get the soldered one, I was told I would not be able to install it on the system, and that all soldered harness connections had to be approved by Oklahoma City ALC (the 135 depot). I had to spend a BUNCH of money on a crimping system with interchangeable dies, ratcheting mechanisms, and interchangeable pin holders. I wasn't exactly happy, but after I found out why, I felt a little better.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
We got all that stuff in CTK. Takes no time at all to rebuild a cannon plug. Couple hours for a big one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good point.

I use solder when splicing into lines I don't have to cut. My options were usually solder or quick-connects and I would rather use scotch tape and bubble-gum than those nasty little 'devices'.

I guess crimping is the preferred method - and they're certainly easier than trying to get under the dash with a hot iron.
But I've yet to have a problem with the solder points.

CLS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.