Scion tC Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright ladies and gents. Here is the REAL antenna mod. This HAS been done before. But I am going to explain it to you in depth on how to do this correctly for the styling you are looking for.

BEFORE YOU DO THIS MOD. PLEASE NOTE THIS WILL REDUCE YOUR RECEPTION QUALITY BY ABOUT 40%-50%!

So if you are person who uses the radio alot, I would suggest the s2000 antenna. I personally have the ipod headunit and have NEVER used the radio. I hate the look of the antenna off, because you have a nice chrome top and it looks like a ricer who takes stuff off the car to make it look cool!!! NOT...

You will need these tools:

- Scixxors
- PERMANENT MARKER!

Alright so its pretty easy to do. I would suggest using sxissorxxx that are quite heavy duty. If you dont have heavy duty sxxxxiors then a wire cutter will work.

I do not have a before picture im sorry guys, but im going to explain this as best as I can. Its quite simple I wont lie!

Step 1. Take off your stock antenna, doing this simply by unscrewing it, dont be afraid, just twist it the correct way and it'll start to come off. Its very light.

Step 2. Take your sxxxcors and the area of which the extended antenna and the base of the antenna meet, we are going to cut it right there. As close to the base as possible. You DO NOT want to cut the base (this is the thick part that connects to your car) you are ONLY going to be cutting the small wire type extended part that is attached to the base.

If you have a problem cutting this with either your heavy duty sxxxors or your wire cutters, there is a way to fix this. Boil water in a wide pot, once the water is at a boil, put the base of the antenna (will be enough to just hit the area of which the extended part and the base connect) and let it sit there for a minute. IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO THIS, BE CAREFUL: THE HEAT FROM THE BOILING POT CAN CHANGE THE SHAPE OF YOUR BASE, WHICH IS THE PART YOU WANT TO BE KEEPING LOOKING NICE. After you put it in there and there is no mis-shaping you should be able to cut it easier.

Step 3. You cut the extended part and now you are left with just the base (or bottom which connects to your car). This is still your antenna, it'll still work, your just cutting off the part of the antenna that HELPS reception. Once you have cut it carefully you will see a SMALL white dot on the top of the antenna, this is just the inside of the antenna. Since the antenna is wrapped in some kind of vinyl that is black (I guess the inside of the antenna is white) you will notice a little white dot. Its VERY small and if your crazy about your car (like me) then there is an easy fix.
Take your permanent marker and just mark the top white part, its easy to do and it will STAY on. The texture of the white thing is good enough to hold the ink. I wash my car EVERY week and ive done this about 2 months ago, I have YET to see a fade on the black part on top (the part we are marking).

Heres what it will look like after you are done (its about 3 inches):

Any questions/comments/bashings/arguments/love/food post it here! Ill answer and if you wanna fight, let me just take out the knive I keep in my pocket, but it cant be brought back until BLOOOOOD.

THEPDA!LOVES!U

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Nice post. Although, I wonder what a replacement OEM antenna costs from Toyota? It would be nice to have a backup for that one time that you really have to listen to the game or whatnot on the radio on your drive to someplace and the short antenna won't cut it. Or if you hack yours off and end up not liking it and then you're stuck without one (rather, stuck with 2 halves of one).

I bought the Alta aftermarket antenna and keep the stock one in the trunk for those just-in-case situations. But mostly, my reception is pretty good with the 4" antenna. There's a lot of other ones out there with poorer reception, but for $7-ish they look great for the price (especially if you don't do radio).

BTW, kids... don't run with skizx0rz. As G. I. Joe once taught me, knowing this is half the battle.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For sure, I dunno the price of the OEM antenna. I wouldn't think it would be too much, but then again everything is expensive with them.

But for sure if you dont like it you can replace it. And yeah the ALTA antenna is really nice. I just didnt like the styling of any of the replacement antenna's. Plus I didnt like the fact that the s2000 antenna doesnt fit perfectly.

So for free and for the right styling (scion purposefully made their antenna that style) then its a good deal.

Definatly do this at your own risk though. But I was DEFINATLY pleased with the outcome. I ALSO say 40-50% loss because I would rather tell you it looses more than less. So this is definatly going to be a thing that will vary from possible elements.. ex: your area, weather, if its clean or dirty, type of head unit you have....

sckixzzors are krxzzy

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
If you mess it up, I'm sure a lot of us will be willing to sell you our stock antennas cheap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.