Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read many threads regarding choosing between the auto or manual. I'm still deciding.

But has anyone experienced serious problems with their manual? I think that would be the deciding factor to me.

We have some heavy traffic here at times but i'll just have to drive it around at 4am

·
Registered
228 Posts
as for fun of driving - go with manual. as far as repair costs of a tranny - go with manual.

i haven't read anywhere about anybody having trouble with tc's manual tranny...

and yet, you never know - a friend of mine had a lexus with excellent reviews for auto tranny, after a year of having it he had to rebuild tranny two times within 1 month, put in like 6 grand, after which went straight back to toyota dealer and traded it in for smth... the point is, even though nobody has ever had any trouble on a tranny, it doesn't mean it's absolutely failsafe. both auto and manual. so, if the chances to get into trouble are about the same, i'd go with manual

·
Registered
409 Posts
manual is like the best decision ever, but then again it depends on the type of person you are, you have to sort of enjoy cars and stuff, but also look at your situation, do you drive in a lot of traffic, i sort of do but i dont mind it, driving a stick then driving an auto seems like driving auto is boring, if you have the resources to learn to drive stick before your purchase i suggest you do, maybe go get a rental car and get somebody to teach you =) itll save you some anguish later on

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
I too would go for the manual.... We also have a 98 Tacoma 4x4 5spd & the clutch seems alot stiffer than the tC... In my opinion... the tC 5spd is just like blowing a feather around that's how smooth it is to me.... I love it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
No problems with my manual. really, you should choose on your driving habits and your likes. Lots of time in traffic? Maybe auto. Like to get the most out of your car? Maybe manual. Going to feel tired at 4AM? Maybe auto. And back and forth.

If you don't know how to drive a stick, maybe it's not worth it to you. OTOH, it can be fun!

Think about what works for you!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, i never drove a stick before today. I drove my cousin's mustang around a parking lot today...it wasn't that bad. I really like the feel. I hope i have the chance for another lesson next weekend. maybe i'll get to go to third gear and learn to down shift.

Does anyone know why the mpg is lower for a manual..shouldn't it be the other way around?

Any one here ever ride a manual bike? shifting to first gear on a bike is so much easier. Any one agree?

·
Registered
409 Posts
on the tC the auto has lower milage, but on most cars manual is because you can control your gears, newayZ downshifting isn't really required when driving. YOu only downshift when you want to pass somebody up, or you need to change because you were breaking and a light turned green or something in which your speed is too low for that gear that you need to go down, later on when you want to control more you can use your engine to brake and stuff but thats not really required

·
Registered
100 Posts
I agree, it really depends where you live and what you use it for. For me, I've always wanted to get a manual and it was seriously considering that on the tC, but after thinking about the hills and traffic of where I live, an auto works just fine and it still picks up real fast considering how heavy the car is.

No regrets.

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you want the manual..go for it. It is easy to get the hang over if you are new to shifting. I chose an auto because I am tired of shifting. I guess it is an old age thing. I am 48 years old and have always had a stick shift car since I was 18. I still have one now, 1981 Fiat 2000 Spider.
There is really not much difference in fuel mileage. Both can get very good mileage if you can keep you foot out of it. The only issue that I have heard about the manual is a few posts about it possibly jumping out of 3rd gear. I am not sure if it is a real issue or just a new driver thing. One post did say the dealer was pulling the transmission and verified the problem. I do not see any widespread problems with either gearbox however. I some how get the feeling that you will be happy with whatever way you go. I know that I would have been just as pleased with a manual on my tC.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I get tired of shifting when driving a manual... then again i get tired of being bored in an auto.. so itd up to you buddy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought my car after I drove a manual 1989 honda civic for about 5 minutes. So it goes without saying that I stalled my brand new tc about 5 or 6 times until i got the hang of it. The first 3 days i had my car I cursed at myself for buying a manual i was so pissed. By the end of the first week, I would make excuses to take my car out for a spin. I enjoyed it so much and i still do. It is a completely new feeling of excitement for me and I would never switch back to driving an automatic. I even end up in LA traffic here once in a while and still I love driving my stick. Its all about the control and power, best decision ive made.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts