Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious why some of the tCs come with Potenzas and some come with Yokohamas on the same stock wheels. The car I'm getting this week had the Yokos, but all the other tCs on the lot had the Potenzas.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I would have thought different factory's are putting different tires on maybe. I like how the Yoko's look, not to much rubber on them but they suck in wet weather.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You have the Yokohamas on your car?

Would you be so kind as to write them up in the Tire Review sticky? I'd love to have a one stop shop on the site for all the tires people are running to save n00bs the trouble of asking a million questions about tires.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by LaVaism@Apr 3 2005, 06:52 PM
I would have thought different factory's are putting different tires on maybe. I like how the Yoko's look, not to much rubber on them but they suck in wet weather.
Last I heard, there is one factory making tCs.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
It's probably as simple as their agreement with Bridgestone expired, and they signed a new agreement with another manufacturer (Yokohama).

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
we have been seeing a handful of cars here and there with yoko's, but most are still coming in with the potenza's, unfortunately.

·
Registered
675 Posts
i sometimes wonder with all the bad talk of the bridgestone re92's that are on the tC.. maybe they finally got something better? or maybe they could save a little $$$ by putting the yoko's on there?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
More than likely it's a cost savings, not a performance thing.

Look at the entire Toyota line up and tell me how many true performance vehicles you see. How about ZERO. Even the Lexus sports car is overweight and underpowered for its class. It's truly a sad day for the company that brought us the AE86 Corolla, the AW11 MR2, the ST185 All-Trac Celica, the JZA80 Supra, the SW20 MR2, and even the MRS. The only hope left for a true performance vehicle is the spy shots of the LF-A, and few people will be able to afford that car. At least Mazda, Subaru, and Mitusbishi are addressing the sportscar enthusiasts with real performance cars. Sad day. I'm never selling my Supra.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by raamaudio@Apr 3 2005, 07:43 PM
Tell us which particular Yoko it has please:) Some are great tires, some are not that great, possibly they are better than the Brigstones, maybe they changed because so many of us do, lol!

Rick
Sorry about the delay in reporting this. The tires are these Yokohama S32A's.

I'd be happy to do a review of them, but I honestly wouldn't know where to start. I know I already like them better than the Potenza RE92's I had on my Impreza. I've been impressed so far at their grip on wet roads as well, as I expected more wheelspin when starting than what I've had (although any wheelspin at all feels like a lot after having AWD for 3+ yrs).

·
Registered
2 Posts
The tire could be simply dual sourced. In the Manufacturing process, tire brand is usually not specified. A lot of the time, Toyota requests tire suppliers to design a tire for the vehicle, the vendor as a result usually has limited capacity and so Toyota sources the same tire spec to another vendor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've got yokos on my car and there decent although I just hit a muffler pipe on the freeway and blew two of them... The yokos have a poor treadwear rating, im waiting to see if the dealer will give me a deal on replacements otherwise im just going to go buy some toyos or pirellis

·
Registered
31 Posts
the yokohoma tires suck

if you have a 5spd you know how it is to drive in the rain

if you gave the car a little gas the yokos would spin without hesitation,
no grip on the road,
caused my car to spin out hitting a little amount of sand around a turn

...its now 10,000+ damage

·
Registered
137 Posts
Toyota has an agreement with both . Tauranza ( spelling ) is better than the Potenza . The Yokos are about as good as the Potenza . Yoko makes great tires . Not these however . On my new '08 , I sold my tires off my car . Bought new ones to put on and cost me all of $ 280.00 shipped . Much better tires as well . Be careful on any of the 3 stockies . None of them grip well at all .

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have Yokos on my 2007 Scion tC.

They do wear a little faster then tires I had on my previous car but overall its a great tire. My area is considerably wet (Seattle) and has had a lot of rain fall (more then usual) the last year. If anything my tires have seen more wet pavement then dry :). They perform very well even up against a hill with solid ice between my tires and the asphalt (although it was pretty freaking scary).

My biggest complaint is the amount of road noise I get. I enjoy a quiet ride and while I haven't blessed with any rattles (except the occasional early morning rattle, the road noise is pretty gruesome).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.