Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow. After reading this link over at SL, it looks like there is a stage 1 turbo kit that provides ~250whp/tq. That's nuts. And the creator is talking about 14psi boost with a free upgrade, and now there's a stage 2 if you keep reading the thread that's over 300whp/tq.. wtf?

Honestly, is our car really going to handle that kind of power? And how to people just lay down 3, 5, 7k+ on this stuff, not flinch over the price, and not bat an eye-lash about throwing their warranty out the window?

I Don't mean to rant, it just really makes me wonder. I guess I'd just feel terrible after spending $4000 on TRD's SC and getting my doors blown in and my ass handed to me by anyone with a kit as powerful as this. Maybe I should just stay stock, so when I get beat, I can just remind myself my car only cost me $19k. *shrug*

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
I never thought I would ever want boost this much. and it is too bad that I can't afford it :[[[[[[[

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
One of my friends who's going to get his car turbo'd very soon wants to race me. I told him - let's race 3 years from now, under one condition. We spend $0 on our cars from the install date till our race date.

I'm sure I'll take him then

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by zoltiz@Jan 15 2006, 05:39 PM
I'm sure I'll take him then
Yeah, if he doesn't kill himself with all that power or blow up his car by then.

I know what you mean though zoltiz. TRD SC = turn key always there always working engine/power. You know what I really hope though? Say you go to trade in your car (anyone for this matter). You bought say a base model tC (tranny aside), but you added the SC and got it installed by toyota. Say you're looking to trade up to something nicer. Do you think they'd give you most of what you paid for the SC? Or would they pull some BS like "oh well, that car will be harder to sell now b/c it has aftermarket parts on it." I really do wonder about that. I guess only time will tell. I'd be livid if they only gave me 1/2 vaule or something. I guess if that's the case, it's better to just hold onto the car for a long time.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by serith@Jan 15 2006, 06:00 PM
You know what I really hope though? Say you go to trade in your car (anyone for this matter). You bought say a base model tC (tranny aside), but you added the SC and got it installed by toyota. Say you're looking to trade up to something nicer. Do you think they'd give you most of what you paid for the SC? Or would they pull some BS like "oh well, that car will be harder to sell now b/c it has aftermarket parts on it." I really do wonder about that. I guess only time will tell. I'd be livid if they only gave me 1/2 vaule or something. I guess if that's the case, it's better to just hold onto the car for a long time.
Funny you asked.

I went through this with my SC'd Matrix. Went to 5 different dealers to see what people will offer me. One dealer offered a good deal - matrix KBB trade-in plus about $2K for the SC, others did not count SC at all, just went by KBB, or lower. Carmax took $1K off their normal offer because that's what they estimated it would cost them to take the car back to stock.

I ended up taking the SC off and selling it on the matrixowners.com, then just selling the car.

All in all I lost $2K out of $3K that SC cost me.

And guess what - I went ahead and bought the SC for the tC

Man needs to have his toys.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz+Jan 15 2006, 04:25 PM-->QUOTE (zoltiz @ Jan 15 2006, 04:25 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-serith
@Jan 15 2006, 06:00 PM
You know what I really hope though?  Say you go to trade in your car (anyone for this matter).  You bought say a base model tC (tranny aside), but you added the SC and got it installed by toyota.  Say you're looking to trade up to something nicer.  Do you think they'd give you most of what you paid for the SC?  Or would they pull some BS like "oh well, that car will be harder to sell now b/c it has aftermarket parts on it."  I really do wonder about that.  I guess only time will tell.  I'd be livid if they only gave me 1/2 vaule or something.  I guess if that's the case, it's better to just hold onto the car for a long time.
Funny you asked.

I went through this with my SC'd Matrix. Went to 5 different dealers to see what people will offer me. One dealer offered a good deal - matrix KBB trade-in plus about $2K for the SC, others did not count SC at all, just went by KBB, or lower. Carmax took $1K off their normal offer because that's what they estimated it would cost them to take the car back to stock.

I ended up taking the SC off and selling it on the matrixowners.com, then just selling the car.

All in all I lost $2K out of $3K that SC cost me.

And guess what - I went ahead and bought the SC for the tC

Man needs to have his toys. [/b]
toys. hehehe

so what kinda toys do girls have?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, that's all it is too, a toy. An expensive toy, but what toy isn't? That's why I'm working overtime (wait, i'm not wor...) right now to pay for it this spring. I don't want to feel it when I hand over 4 large.

I figured as much about the trade in. Get this $hit. My buddy spent $1500 to have a moonroof installed by the dealer (that's what they told him, little did he know they took it to some random shop to have it done) on his xA when he bought it in 2004. Guess what they did when he went back to trade it in for the tC? They told him it took $2000 off the price of the car b/c it isn't a stock option. Lmao.. fu cking dealers.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
I highly doubt that I will kill myself with all of that power... and once I have everything built like I want we'll see about maintenance costs
[Although I do expect a hefty amount]

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Hm.. you guys forget that girls can like cars too. I'm teaching one to drive a manual. I never knew she was so hot til recently..

Anyways, the 14 psi tune pulls some pretty hard timing at higher boost so the gains aren't a linear progression from the gains off of the 8.7 psi tune but they're still pretty high. The pulled timing makes it safer so the piston rings should be ok at 14 psi with the tune. The tester car has been beaten on for a few months now at 14 psi..

so by the time I have enough money to buy this turbo kit, enough testing will be done for me to make my descision

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Cool. Just wait for the cracks in the bores at the tops of the cylinders. 14 psi is a lot of boost for an open deck aluminum block.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Jan 16 2006, 10:19 AM
Cool. Just wait for the cracks in the bores at the tops of the cylinders. 14 psi is a lot of boost for an open deck aluminum block.
Very true. Initially our kit's wastegate was set at 12psi but we lowered it down to 7psi... running much higher just risks TOO much on an unbuilt motor. Especially when it's an NA. I prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to our project... we aren't looking for a dyno queen. We're looking for something that has good daily drivability, low-end power, and enough high-end power to surprise whoever it is you line up against.

Primary area of concern: fuel system, deck, and axles. I've considered getting the ECU flashed to the supercharger tune to be a little more on the safe side.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
let me know if you need a the reflash module. i have one in my glovebox.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by Obike@Jan 16 2006, 02:41 PM
I've considered getting the ECU flashed to the supercharger tune to be a little more on the safe side.
That might be tough, as the flash module that comes with the kit is read-once kind of deal (I think original flash is moved to the flash module once the SC flash is complete - kinda like older software protection worked on floppies).

More stuff for you to hack

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Jan 16 2006, 10:19 AM
That's exactly what I'm waiting for.

The stock sleeves are high ductile iron but they're still open. Charles Gordon, the guy Turbocustomz, also the guy at Gordon Race Engineering, ran 14 psi for a short bit and busted up the piston rings on all four pistons, same crack, same location, on all four. The sleeves didn't appear to have had any trouble at that point but that doesn't say very much. In any case, for one, I'm planning to stick to sub 10 psi if I find that after a year or so that no one has had any major, purely boost related, problems, and buy a turbo.

In any case, if I decide to have a ball with my engine (in case anyones wondering, got a sturdy little 93 Saturn just in case something unpleasant occurs) this would be my solution:

Golden Eagle makes some sleeves that can be stock size or over bored. I don't know if that picture is just a block guard or new sleeves but a rep from Golden Eagle says that they make sleeves. Pics do look like OE sleeves though..

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Interesting picture. The original 2AZ sleeves are cast into the block, so they are fully surrounded by aluminum. They had to have completely bored the old cylinders out of the block to put sleeves like this into a 2AZ. Does Golden Eagle have hydrostatic test results for their sleeves? I'm curious how much pressure they'll stand before the permanently deform. It looks like a LOT more than the OEM block.

Jotech has some pictures of their solution, it's a fully closed deck with integral sleeves. For sure that will take an absurd amount of boost before it gives up, but at the same time it compromises the cooling system design by putting metal where the block is expecting coolant. Service life is anybody's guess on that one.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz+Jan 16 2006, 12:02 PM-->QUOTE (zoltiz @ Jan 16 2006, 12:02 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Obike
@Jan 16 2006, 02:41 PM
I've considered getting the ECU flashed to the supercharger tune to be a little more on the safe side.
That might be tough, as the flash module that comes with the kit is read-once kind of deal (I think original flash is moved to the flash module once the SC flash is complete - kinda like older software protection worked on floppies).

More stuff for you to hack
[/b]
Which brings up a question, is it a full flash or is it a partial flash? If it's a full flash that means you'll be able to pull the entire binary

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.