Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My story starts several months ago at Beechmont Scion. I called around to a few of different dealerships to have my TRD springs, struts, and rear sway installed. They gave me the lowest price over the phone, so I called back and made an appt. I dropped the car off after hours and got a call the next day with the estimate. It was not the price the gave me over the phone and I couldn't remember the name of the guy that gave me the price. Since I was anxious to get the stuff installed and the new price was the same as the other dealers, I went ahead and let them do the work. I complained to the service manager. He held to his new price. I told him I was not pleased with my service experience and would not be coming back. He was fine with that.

So I recently went to Kings Scion for my 5000 mile maintenance -- incl tire rotation. Since then, I'm noticing a thumping noise from the tires at about 30mph (once over 40, it was not noticeable). I took it back and they diagnosed it as abnormal tire wear (cupping) likely due to an alignment not being done after installing the springs. Unfortunately, they wouldn't address it because it's a workmanship issue with Beechmont.

I go back to Beechmont and the service manager says he can't find any indication that they did or did not do the alignment after installing the springs. Additionally, he says that the alignment is currently within spec, although just barely. He went ahead and did the alignment for free. But he would not replace my tires. He felt the abnormal wear was not that bad. And said that while he's "not making any accusations", when he sees a car with lowering springs he figures it probably gets beat (I don't drive it hard). He suggested that I wait until the next rotation. the tires would eventually return to an normal wear pattern if the alignment was all that was wrong and if the tires are still wearing abnormally, he would look for another source for the problem. Not getting anywhere, I pick up the car to see what difference the alignment made.

To Beechmont's credit, the thump at 30mph is better. It isn't as noticeable as it was before. But it returns around 60mph.

So I'm trying to decide what to do. I have a feeling that thump is going to be like chinese water torture. If I was sure it would go away in a couple of weeks, I could probably wait it out. The easy way out would to buy new tires and be done with it. I don't like the OEM tires anyway and I would never need to go back to Beechmont. But the "I want justice" side of me wants the dealer to buy me tires. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think you should call scion directly and make sure they know about this problem you're having. I've had so many issues with my dealership that it's the least you should do... also, I would not give up.. if the problem continues then go back and give them hell

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.