Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know exactly what the dealer does when you get a 10,000 mile maintenance job done..., like the guy was tellin me that they change the cabin filter, oil, and some other stuff, but another thing that made me curious was that he was sayin somethin like adding an additive to the engine or somethin like that, im thinkin its somethin to clean the fuel injectors....But al together they wanted like 200 bucks for this whole maintnence deal, i was like f-that, i can do all that stuff, i just dont know what the add to the engine....does anybody know exactlyy what they do and what they use when the do maintenance.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Well, cabin filter can't be changed because you a) should not have it, and b) probably don't have it for the reason a.

That's what it says in the Scheduled Maintanance Guide (that you have in your glovebox probably):

10,000 miles or 24 months

- Replace engine oil and oil filter
- Rotate tires
- Visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs

That's it. Unless you live in the desert...

·
Registered
203 Posts
LOL, $200 to do an oil change, rotate your tires, and inspect brakes?? Midas does that for like $25

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by zoltiz@Oct 3 2005, 08:02 AM
Well, cabin filter can't be changed because you a) should not have it, and b) probably don't have it for the reason a.

That's what it says in the Scheduled Maintanance Guide (that you have in your glovebox probably):

10,000 miles or 24 months

- Replace engine oil and oil filter
- Rotate tires
- Visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs

That's it. Unless you live in the desert...
Actually i believe we do have one, its located somewhere around the glove compartment, but that still leaves me stumped, what do they use when they put stuff in your engine, like is a fuel injector cleaner or something like that?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by superchargedscion+Oct 4 2005, 08:45 AM-->QUOTE (superchargedscion @ Oct 4 2005, 08:45 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-zoltiz
@Oct 3 2005, 08:02 AM
Actually i believe we do have one, its located somewhere around the glove compartment [/b]
And what makes you a believer?

Have you seen the filter? Have you seen any mention of it in the User Guide? Maybe in the tC maintanance schedule?

The filter is not there unless you yourself put it there. And even if you did - you are not recommended to have it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Cabin air filter? Just a empty tray...like posted. All those additives? Dealer profit...stick to the required stuff in the manual. If you take it to a dealer that intends to do all the extras...make it clear first that you want what is required only. If they complain...go elsewhere if possible. Don't give your money away to them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
No one reads instruction manuals in this country any more! Maybe no one reads at all any more!
Just easier to get on here and take advice from the public, even when the manufacturer has laid it all out in black and white in great detail. Geeesh!
Putting just a little effort into maintaining this car will reap great rewards, and sometimes that means you have to spend a bit of time reading.

·
Registered
675 Posts
yeah you don't need ANY additives to the oil! that is nothing more than a profit machine for the dealership.. $200? hilarious.. all it needs it a tire rotation and an oil change.. $50 at most!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well is using a fuel injector cleaner good or not....

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
You shouldn't need it with this new a car unless you've been using really cheap (and i mean cheap cheap cheap grade) gas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.