Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AS you guys know I got the DC Sports tower strut bar...and installed it myself.
That was about 3 weeks or so ago, give or take. Well about 2 weeks ago I heard tapping sounds coming from my engine, and I thought maybe I had a bad tank of gas due to the effects I thought I was having. (Lo-bux you know what I'm talking about) While I still might have had a bad tank of gas...here's what the sound *actually* was...since I decided to have the dealership check it out....

The vacuum switch or whatever switch that is on the engine was just barely brushing against the bottom of the bar. The ticking coming from that switch was resonating into the strut bar and through the strut towers and being fed directly into my car. And lemme tell you...it was loud enough to cause concern.

Service people fixed it with some foam against the bottom of the bar in that location. Caused the vibration to stop being transmitted into the bar, and into the car. So long story straight...if you guys install this bar you might need foam. I believe the hotchkis bar sits a tad further back behind the engine and doesn't brush up against this switch/valve/ tapping thingamajiggy. Engine people probably know what I'm talking about.
Foam tape is the answer...and if that doesn't help the service people were going to unclip the valve and relocate it a tad lower. But they didn't have to. What I thought was a major engine problem...was just a design flaw in the strut bar.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
VSV tapping is the cause for so may threads on so many forums.... LOL

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Thank god someone finally figured out what that "tapping" noise is... I thought there was a major problem too!

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You might want to try loosening all the mount bolts, and wedging a piece of wood between the bar and the piece it is hitting, then retightening all the mount bolts. I had to do this on a MkII MR2 turbo I worked on with a hardpipe kit that hit the brace over the engine. When I repositioned and retightened the mount, all was quiet again. It too made a pretty scary noise.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by onefunkyfreshdj@Feb 10 2005, 04:50 PM
Thank god someone finally figured out what that "tapping" noise is... I thought there was a major problem too!
You have/had it too? LOL....glad it wasn't me just hallucinating. Just take it to the dealer or get some foam tape yourself and wrap it so that the foam side is against the bar. Solves the problem, so far for good. LoL.

Next time we should have tossed it at each other since you're the only other person with the DC bar. LoL

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Feb 11 2005, 12:01 AM
You might want to try loosening all the mount bolts, and wedging a piece of wood between the bar and the piece it is hitting, then retightening all the mount bolts. I had to do this on a MkII MR2 turbo I worked on with a hardpipe kit that hit the brace over the engine. When I repositioned and retightened the mount, all was quiet again. It too made a pretty scary noise.
Luckily it's just the flexible harness that's brushing it...no need to wedge wood. The foam is eliminating the resonating into the strut towers. 2 days and NO MORE TAPPING that was driving me insane.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.