Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here, hope you guys can help.

I guess i should start at the beginning.....- well not that far.lol

A couple weeks ago I got a Python 2 Way Pager Alarm with Remote Start installed.

(The issue I am having did not start as soon as I got the installation.)

1. When I tried to start the car it would crank, for a while, I would then try again with the same results. I then figured out that I had to turn the key all the way back then try again to get it to start up.

2.When I put the car in reverse to back out of my parking space everything seemed fine, but when I placed it in Drive- it shut off! I did the same steps again (minus the reverse cause i was in the middle of the street already.) and it happened again when I placed it in Drive.

I then figured out that I had to rev up the car a bit while on P to get it to work. I dont know why that works.

3. Now today I placed my car in Park to get the mail- left it on and returned to a dead car. drove it to my parking space- put it in P and it shut off again.

Ive searched all over and found threads mentioning it but not clearly defining what was wrong or a solution. -heard things like the starter might suck, or it might have fuel circulation issues.

Do u guys think its the remote starter installation was bad or its just the car? Have u guys heard of this issue before?

I posted on another board and they lead me to a thread about a manual tranz tc when I have an automatic.

Bottom line I wanna know who I should be going to to fix the problem. The "remote starter guys" say they dont know whats up. HELP! please!

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Engine dies, correct?

Starter works just fine when you crank the engine, correct?

No other problems with anything like dying while driving around, just when you are at a stop, put the transmission in P or D?

Applying throttle seems to help?

No issues before the alarm install?

Issues popped up some time after alarm install?

Have you completely bypassed the remote start?

Is it possible the IG1 or IG2 circuits were affected by the remote start install?

Did they use a relay to perform the remote starter function, and which signals were affected - STA, IG1, and IG2 or were there others?

Here's why I'm asking all these questions: IG1 and IG2 are used by the fuel system to set a relay to apply power to the fuel pump. If IG2 is interrupted by a poor connection or faulty relay, it could stop the fuel pump which would cause stalling. However, a faulty relay would usually die at more times than just shifting. There's also an interlock between the brake and the shifter to keep you from shifting out of park into gear without the brake being applied. This might also be part of your problem.

So there are few things to check from the car's point of view, not just the alarm's point of view.

FWIW, most Toyotas will continue to run with just IG2 connected, but shutting off IG1 has different effects on different cars. In any case, the engine absolutely will not run if IG2 is interrupted.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Take it to the place that installed your remote-start system and demand that they fix the problem or remove it and refund your money in its entirety. I would not recommend taking it to your dealer for this problem at this time, since the problems you have described are almost certainly being caused by the remote start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Engine dies, correct?
Yup.

Starter works just fine when you crank the engine, correct?
Sometimes it just cranks and I have to try again, Ive read that I am supposed to let the needles sweep then start the car. Trying that out all day today- we'll see how it goes.

No other problems with anything like dying while driving around, just when you are at a stop, put the transmission in P or D?
Yup, Im scared to think of the car just shutting off on the highway.

Applying throttle seems to help?
Yup.

No issues before the alarm install?
Not that Ive noticed, I must admit I am more comfortable with the car, so Im not so careful with things. I jump in the car and go, rather than get in, admire, and start it slowly.

Issues popped up some time after alarm install?
Not right away, took a couple of days to show up.

---
The Questions below go over my head. I did not install it myself, nor do I know much about cars in general. This is my first one. Been a bus and train boy from the city.
---
Have you completely bypassed the remote start?

Is it possible the IG1 or IG2 circuits were affected by the remote start install?

Did they use a relay to perform the remote starter function, and which signals were affected - STA, IG1, and IG2 or were there others?
---

I did take it to the place that installed the remote starter, they said they do not know whats up, after trying two different times to fix it. What they actually did, I dont know.

I heard very little about other TC's having this problem without the remote start installed, thats why I was suspecting something else after the news from the guys who put it in.

Can a 2006 TC have a remote start, I think I've read on other boards of it being done, but Im not 100% sure.(a 2006 bug, i just dont know.
)

Do you think it would be wise to just have them "unplug" -if you will- the remote starter and I go somewhere else to get it hooked back up properly?
Seems like its going to be a huge pain, to have them take everything out just for someone to put everything back in.(But maybe that will be the solution.) I just cant take many more days off of work-ugh. didnt think a new car would bring this much trouble- sorry venting a little.

FYI-Ive just read that there are no refunds, just store credit. another reason for me to go postal.

I will be printing this entire thread to show them when I return Friday.

Thanx for everyones help thus far. If anybody knows a place in MD that can do a GOOD job let me know. The nearest recommendation I have is in VA.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a follow up for search engines.

Took my car in again they reset/rebooted the computer, saying something about air intake- dont ask. Only died once since then, but now I take it real slow and dont just jump in and drive.

-let needles sweep
-start car
-wait for about 30 sec.
-and everythings fine..........so far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.