1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
I think it sounds good... setup is just like how I had my 98 Altima done. Throaty sound but only when you give the gas pedal some carpet to munch on. Don't forget that you are now getting warm air to the intake as opposed to cool air from the stock cause it comes from behind the wheel well right?
Don't gewt me wrong... I like it! Great job!

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking about adding a "heat shield" to separate the filter from the rest of the engine bay, and adding couple of feet of the "dryer hose" to route the colder air from the plug in the bumper to the filter. That would help with cooler air.

Other than that I need an OBDII tool to check the intake temperatures to see what we are dealing with here. One thing we can say is that it's not any worse than any othr short ram on the market

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz@Nov 2 2004, 08:56 PM
Other than that I need an OBDII tool to check the intake temperatures to see what we are dealing with here. One thing we can say is that it's not any worse than any othr short ram on the market
That's definately true.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I wonder if there is a way to get more cold air to the new filter area by modifying the stock filter box intake? Just a thought....

·
Registered
372 Posts
Originally posted by FrostbytetC@Nov 6 2004, 09:12 PM
Yeah, i agree with Tchi... I was also wondering about hacking the stock air box to let it breathe a bit better.
Yesterday, I looked at fogging the tC. That is when you use the current box, but attach a 4" hose instead of the 3" currently in place. Unfortuantely, you have to move a relay box to remove the current 3" hose. I did not have time to study it further.

I hate messing with relay boxes. I don't really want to disconnect the battery. But the OEM hose runs to the right of it and the second of two screws that hold it in place cannot be reached without moving the relay box.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Originally posted by GA tC+Nov 7 2004, 11:08 AM-->QUOTE (GA tC @ Nov 7 2004, 11:08 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-FrostbytetC
@Nov 6 2004, 09:12 PM
Yeah, i agree with Tchi... I was also wondering about hacking the stock air box to let it breathe a bit better.
Yesterday, I looked at fogging the tC. That is when you use the current box, but attach a 4" hose instead of the 3" currently in place. Unfortuantely, you have to move a relay box to remove the current 3" hose. I did not have time to study it further.

I hate messing with relay boxes. I don't really want to disconnect the battery. But the OEM hose runs to the right of it and the second of two screws that hold it in place cannot be reached without moving the relay box. [/b]
I need to take apart the stock intake box but according to the install pics on the K&N site removing the stock intake box and tube looks pretty easy with no mention of a relay box. They could be wrong but it does look pretty comprehensive.

Increasing the intake to 4" would be a good idea and maybe creating some sort of funnel at the end.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Having heard zoltiz's "custom" intake in person, I must say I was impressed. It gives the tC's engine a slightly more aggressive, throatier sound, without giving it that lawnmower-Civic sound.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The easiest mod to the stock intake is adding a higher-flow reusable filter (k&n/trd/green) and removing the charcoal filter in the top part of the airbox. Looks like that's what gave my stock video a louder growl than people are used to, since I got asked several times if I have TRD exhaust

As for 4" piping - I would have to say - why? Throttle body will still be 2.75", filter will still be the same size, Stock airbox opening will also still be 2.75" - so why not just get a full intake/tb upgrade if you are starving for air that much...

Or the best way to deal with cars - leav them the hell alone

·
Registered
112 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz@Nov 7 2004, 08:34 PM
The easiest mod to the stock intake is adding a higher-flow reusable filter (k&n/trd/green) and removing the charcoal filter in the top part of the airbox. Looks like that's what gave my stock video a louder growl than people are used to, since I got asked several times if I have TRD exhaust

As for 4" piping - I would have to say - why? Throttle body will still be 2.75", filter will still be the same size, Stock airbox opening will also still be 2.75" - so why not just get a full intake/tb upgrade if you are starving for air that much...

Actually I wasn't thinking about the stock filter box but rather the intake tube that goes down the side of the fender well. Don't you think that it would provide more cold air to the short intake if you put a funnel at the end of the tube or possibly fabricate a 4" tube? The only thing I see as a possible negative is the water that might get into the tube and into the engine compartment.

Like I said, just a thought

·
Registered
372 Posts
Originally posted by Tchi+Nov 7 2004, 09:26 PM-->QUOTE (Tchi @ Nov 7 2004, 09:26 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-zoltiz
@Nov 7 2004, 08:34 PM

Actually I wasn't thinking about the stock filter box but rather the intake tube that goes down the side of the fender well. Don't you think that it would provide more cold air to the short intake if you put a funnel at the end of the tube or possibly fabricate a 4" tube? The only thing I see as a possible negative is the water that might get into the tube and into the engine compartment.

Like I said, just a thought
[/b]
Going to 4" will help, believe it or not. It has to do with the way fluids (in this case air) flow. The flow capability would not be as high as a intake, but it will be more than stock, cost over $200 less, and provide almost as much fun.

If the new intake does not extend any further than the current one, the chance of getting water up the intake will be the same as with the current box.

BTW, does anyone know the size of the hole the current intake goes into on the wheel side? Is it restricted to the size of the intake pipe or is it open?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
what intakes do you all currently have? (those that dont have the stock intake)

i really want a CAI but i dont know which one. which would you all recommend?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not to take anything away from your efforts (it looks very cool), but I'd bet money you didn't gain power or you lost power. Why? Most real hp gained from a CAI system is due to the pick-up of cold air from in front or beneath the car (cool air is more dense = more power). I'd also bet your engine is now very loud (but maybe you like that).

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
HP gain? Who said anything about HP gain? This "custom intake" thingy is just as good as any other SRI that people are trying to sell for $180-250 all over the place claiming 12hp gain. But it's not the point. I thought it was a fun thing to do for $40, and it does sound kinda cool.

http://zoltiz.com/cars/tc/video these are the videos.

Stock tC is too quiet for a 5-speed (for me at least). I need to hear the engine - I don't want to be looking at the tach all the time for an indication of when to shift, so a little extra noise is a good thing.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts