Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not wealthy by any means, just curious.

I'm not really digging my Black Cherry Pearl color. A couple of different people have asked why I got a girl-color, and while I don't agree, the maroon doesn't stand out or look stunning or anything.

Anyway, I digress from my point. I was wondering how much it was cost to have a completely new paint job done. Seems like all the cars from SEMA (except silver ones) had a paint job done, and while I'm aware that they have oodles more money than I do, I was wondering how much a job like that would run me.

For some weird reason, I'm crazy about the Nissan 350Z orange (Le Mans Sunset, A17). The orange used for the new Chevrolet Cavalier (Sunburst Orange, 56/WA913L) looks similar.

Anyway, just figured I'd ask so I can feed my brain...

· Registered
606 Posts
i was considering the same thing. i was told by scion that because your whole car has to be taken apart, then painted, then put back together again, that it would cost close to the price of a new car. but i don't believe that for a minute. they just want to discourage me from it so they don't have to pay. so yeah, i would like to know how much it costs too.

i'm liking the new toyota x-runner's speedway blue, and the bmw m3's laguna seca blue

· Registered
4,643 Posts
You better call MAACO

As long as you get the color that you know the name/code for - go for it. Don't do anything "custom mixed". I think Maaco starts from $250 or so. They will probably do a crappy job, but you won't see the flaws from 50 yards or so. Talk to them, talk to body shops, see what they recommend.

· Registered
266 Posts
Well, if you want to do a first class job it is going to cost big bucks. The dealer said that it was going to be about the cost of the car. that may be a little bit of a reach, but not by much. Look at it this way..in order paint the underhood areas to match the exterior it is going to require that the engine and everything under there be removed and reinstalled. If you don't paint those areas just think what the engine compartment will look like with the black cherry under there and that orange on the outside. Of course you may be able to live with it. I would think twice myself. If it is just the color of your car that bothers you and you love some other color used on a tC..it would be cheaper to just sell your black cherry one and buy a new one. If that truly one off car is what you want..you are stuck with the paint job and there you must make some real decisions on how much you want to sink into it. Even not painting under the hood and all is still going to cost $2000 -3000 not even for a really prime job. I can spot a Maaco job at 30 yards when just painted and can spot one at 50 yards after the first year.

· Ironhead
12,859 Posts
Originally posted by Kwiksilver@Nov 17 2004, 09:01 PM
i was considering the same thing. i was told by scion that because your whole car has to be taken apart, then painted, then put back together again, that it would cost close to the price of a new car. but i don't believe that for a minute. they just want to discourage me from it so they don't have to pay. so yeah, i would like to know how much it costs too.

i'm liking the new toyota x-runner's speedway blue, and the bmw m3's laguna seca blue
actually, they arent far off from the cost. in order for it to be done at the factory or dealership level, the amount of man hours to tear the entire car apart for a complete repaint and then to reassemble it.... because, in order for it to be done right, everything comes off it. everything. the entire inside, the engine compartment, every door seal, every window and the rubber seal, the hatch comes off, the doors come off, each hinge for the doors and hatch and hood, the interior gets gutted, dash, carpet, seats, console, every clip and bracket. yeah. it would cost that much. cause it takes that much time.
your concern seems to be oxidation. in three months, it hasnt oxidized at all. the factory sealant and clear coat is good for more than 3 months. the paints will match. ive had mine longer than that, and i could repaint the hood today and show you tomorrow and you would see zero difference.

as far as what it would cost if you didnt go through the process, and just painted the outside, engine compartment, door sills, doors and hatch? hell, i'd do it for you for the cost of the paint and materials. just to have done it. my paint and body guy down the street from my house says about 5grand.

· Ironhead
12,859 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4@Nov 18 2004, 10:07 AM
Not sure if you were aware of this, but repainting a vehicle greatly reduces its resale value.
back to a dealership, you bet it does. good thing to keep in mind for people who dont plan on owning their tC for the rest of their life.

· Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Originally posted by Kwiksilver@Nov 17 2004, 09:01 PM

[.02]

Paint jobs are not cheap. A basic paint job for a motorcycle can run you 5 large.

[/.02]

· Registered
121 Posts
don't feel down about your paint man. I like the black cherry pearl (okay it's not as sweet at the indigo ink, but hey). I think that color more than any other calls out for chrom. Put some chrome on it and I think that will really jazz it up and stop people calling it a "girl color"

Chrome billet grill, chrome wheels, chrome licence place frame, what else people? - it'll look rockin enough. And it'll cost you less than a good paint job.

· Ironhead
12,859 Posts
not to rain on your parade at all, everyone has their own thing. but me, i cant name anything else to chrome cause i hate chrome.

· Registered
121 Posts
I grew up with classic cars from the 60's and 70's - so I like chrome, damnit

· Registered
779 Posts
Originally posted by gcue@Nov 19 2004, 07:20 PM
don't feel down about your paint man. I like the black cherry pearl (okay it's not as sweet at the indigo ink, but hey).
Also, did you see the hot tC from the Philly Exposed?

They had a Black Cherry Pearl and had repainted some of it silver...I think it looked sweet (especially with some other changes they made to it).

You might want to check it out...doing something like that would give it a custom look, would change the color a bit, and shouldn't be nearly as expensive (depending on what you wanted to do to it).

Just a thought....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.