Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm, retarded. With less than 300 miles on my brand new 2006 Scion tC, I have managed to curb the driver side rear rim already. I'm pretty pissed, however I have read that this can be repaired quite easily with a dremel, sandpaper, and some aluminum polish. My only question is though, are the stock 17" Scion tC rims painted or polished? The article link below is for polished aluminum. If they're painted I may be better off taking it to a wheel shop and paying the $50.00 or so to get it repaired. Knowing myself I'll probably have another incident at some point too. Anyone had any success with this?

http://www.superstallions.com/tech/carcare/polish.html

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Polished with a clearcoat.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I could just apply a layer of clear coat with a small paint brush to the smoothed down area? Where can I get a touch up paint size bottle of clear coat? I had a touch up paint pen for my Nissan that has clear coat on one side. I would think a regular nail paint type applicator would be better for this job though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, are all clearcoats the same? If I were to attempt this touch-up, what kind of clear coat should I get and where is the best place to get it? I'm guessing spray paint would be the best application, taping off the rest of the rim. I talked to the Mobile Wheel Repair person for Arizona and it sounds like they would charge about $100. It almost would be worth it to just buy a rim from someone on this site at that point A local shop would probably charge $50-65. Most of the posts I've seen online for DIY were for painted rims (Porsche, BMW) in which they used bondo putty, etc....I guess it is worth a shot, I might do a before and after since no one has done one yet. I guess I can't make it look any worse than it is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.