Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, for those who know me I'm into radical modification designs that would normally give the average enthusiast a headache. For those who don't, welcome to my world.

Anyways, CtC Project stands for the Convertible tC Project. I need help from people good in photshop to create a picture from all four sides of the tC as a convertible. These images will help me in my designs.

Also, as a sidenote...does anyone know of a program called SolidWorks?

Yours Truely,

Andre'
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well hopefully someone will come along here and be able to lend a helping hand. Perhaps tomorrow when the traffic through the boards is more numerous. I have to get going, but do me a favor and drop a line to D and see if he can help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,528 Posts
I think you'd be better with a 3d program... Try Maya, Silo, Modo, Lightwave, 3DS Max... more freedom for final model design...

In my experience, I've only seen machined parts come out of solidworks, not that it WONT work, but I think that the freedom you seek, might be better represented by a program designed for artistic freedom. That's just me though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,317 Posts
Solidworks is an excellent program, but it is more for a true engineering design not what you are doing. It can handle material properties, grid generation, and even basic finite element analysis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
I'm curious...you're into 'radical modification', yet you don't know how to use a standard CMC program like solid works.

Have you ever actually modded a car, or is this a new hobby that you are taking up?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,242 Posts
Originally posted by mikeyb3d@Nov 2 2005, 07:29 AM
I think you'd be better with a 3d program... Try Maya, Silo, Modo, Lightwave, 3DS Max... more freedom for final model design...

In my experience, I've only seen machined parts come out of solidworks, not that it WONT work, but I think that the freedom you seek, might be better represented by a program designed for artistic freedom. That's just me though.
I agree....Solidworks probably isn't a good choice for this project. Maya or 3dstudio max would be better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by We11Spring@Nov 2 2005, 07:39 AM
I'm curious...you're into 'radical modification', yet you don't know how to use a standard CMC program like solid works.

Have you ever actually modded a car, or is this a new hobby that you are taking up?
Curiosity huh? Well, I'm going to come right out and say that I come from a poorer family. Both parents retired so not much money going around for me to actually mod a car before. However I've been around people who have and visited companies that do.

I can see your argument though..."how can I be a modifier if I never done anything"...I should have said 'radical modifaction designer/visionary'. I don't know how to use SolidWorks because I never learned it.

Hope that helps clear things up...it isn't a new hobby, I'm just now in a position to speak with people on the subject and hopefully take some forwards steps in establishing myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,528 Posts
Originally posted by EddieMoney@Nov 2 2005, 10:20 AM
Solidworks took me roughly 6 months to get efficient at, then another 2 years of random use in college before i could use the program to its full potential.
I'm not knocking it, I'm just saying that if you really want some really nice creative control, you should consider a true 3D modeling package. That's all. I'll admit, the learning curve is a bit steep, but it's what I do for a living:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know, so where would I be able to obtain a 3D program for this project? Is there any chance that there is a free downloadable one online or one someone can send me?

Hopefully it won't take me 2 1/2 years to learn like our friend Eddy. Man thats commitment. If anyone has a 3D program and some time to waste, and you wanted to see if you could get a rendering of the tC then by all means be my guest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
I could try to find a way to get you 3dsmax... its way to big to e-mail. Maybe I could burn a copy and mail it or something. It's a really expensive program and takes awhile to know how to use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,242 Posts
Originally posted by aj2k3@Nov 2 2005, 03:07 PM
I know, so where would I be able to obtain a 3D program for this project? Is there any chance that there is a free downloadable one online or one someone can send me?

Hopefully it won't take me 2 1/2 years to learn like our friend Eddy. Man thats commitment. If anyone has a 3D program and some time to waste, and you wanted to see if you could get a rendering of the tC then by all means be my guest.
You can get the learning edition of maya straight from alias' webpage, but there are some limitations to it (I don't remember what they all are).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Halewafa, I would be ever so greatful. If you are able to get it copied I'll provide my address. Perhaps there may be some kind of tutorial book that can help me out.

I'll have some peliminary sketches at the end of the week if anyone wanted to see em.

Thanks for your help guys, if this project gets done...it will be because of the help of you all.

Andre'
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,242 Posts
Originally posted by aj2k3@Nov 2 2005, 09:32 PM
Halewafa, I would be ever so greatful. If you are able to get it copied I'll provide my address. Perhaps there may be some kind of tutorial book that can help me out.

I'll have some peliminary sketches at the end of the week if anyone wanted to see em.

Thanks for your help guys, if this project gets done...it will be because of the help of you all.

Andre'
Alias makes some GREAT tutorial books. I don't know which version you'll be recieving in hte mail (hopefully 7), but you want to look into getting this - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by Zygote55@Nov 3 2005, 09:50 AM
QUOTE
Alias makes some GREAT tutorial books.  I don't know which version you'll be recieving in hte mail (hopefully 7), but you want to look into getting this - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846
[/b][/quote]
Thanks Zygote55. Hopefully I'll be able to create images such as these:



for I have talked with some sponsors and they said they'd need to see my actually taking some major steps in achieving this modification before they'd step in and lend a hand moneywise.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top