1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
576 Posts
Looks like a good way to cool your intercooler down to lower temps. so that it could potentially cool the air inside it better, but when the car is at speed... I dunno, hot summer air moving 60+ miles an hour across an intercooler would need alot of that stuff to keep the whole intercooler cool. I'm sure Lance has seen these somewhere.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
This is trying to break a lot of thermodynamic laws. While there is precendent for cooling intake air, there was a company that developed a refrigerated intercooler using the a/c compressor on the car. The concept seemed good until you figure out that you are condensing water out of the air when you chill it, and it draws power to supposedly make more power. Except that gasoline prefers hot air to atomize, so when you shoot it into cold air it tends to form larger droplets that don't combust well (liquid gasoline does not burn, strange, but true). So you get caught in this weird loop of wanting colder denser air that won't mix well with your fuel because colder denser air has more available oxygen. But the colder denser air won't support atomizing the gasoline and burning it efficiently to make good power.

Anyway, the chilling ideas aren't all they're cracked up to be UNLESS you have a real thermal problem to solve. Just like getting crappy mileage because your engine never gets up to operating temperature on a short run, too much cooling is NOT good.

I can see this being helpful under very specific conditions, but as a general power adder, no, I don't think it's worth the extra money and weight to carry around. Besides, if I want to spray my IC, I'll just run a line from the nitrous tank to a spraybar. It works great for that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.