Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
another question: since the full set-up from creative compacts cost around $760 before tax for stainless steel pipes, hi-flow cat, resonater, and muffler, do you think it would be just as safe to take my car to a muffler shop such as Meineke to do the piping and then jus buy an exhaust like the injen to put on it? or do you think the quality and reliability is worth the extra price?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
off topic, but where does one purchase the CC Exhaust?[/b]
http://www.creativecompacts.com ? They have an ad banner on the site I see from time to time.

Ok, sorry for revealing my ignorance here and hopefully I'm not hijacking your thread... but why does it cost so much? TRD, Borla, Greddy, Injen, etc. all have exhaust systems for the tC that are in the $300-400 range. What does the Creative Compacts exhaust system have that these don't? Sorry if this is completely ignorant, but I don't really know anything about this stuff.

Is there going to be a big enough difference in performance or sound to justify paying that much more?

I figured all of these systems offered about the same performance gains (maybe a couple HP difference at most?). All I really want is an exhaust that sounds good, but not ricey... I'm gonna have to educate myself on this stuff before I buy one, it seems.

·
Registered
42 Posts
neo -- I think most of the systems you mentioned are axle-back, where as the creative compacts system is catback... has a bit more piping (probably not $300+ worth)

I had a 240sx, apex-i n1 dual catback system was $675

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I don't really understand the difference between catback and axleback or which is better and why. I won't ask you to explain that though... I'll do some reading on my own.

I seriously doubt I'd be spending any more than $400-ish for an exhaust, unless it offered something unbelievable.

I wish I could fabricate this stuff on my own. lol I see Jesse James or the Orange County Chopper guys fabricating exhausts and bending pipes and welding and stuff, and I'm just like... doh! I wish I could do that.
I've lead a sheltered life I guess. lol

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
I have the creativecompacts w/ the borla muffler and hi-flow cat. It's worth it. 2.5" (which is a .25" increase in diameter), mandrel bent, and it makes it easier for us to do a turbo-back exhaust to match it in the coming weeks/months.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
An axleback, oddly enough, extends only from the axle to the back, that is, the rear axle to the back.

A catback extends from the second cat which is right after the down pipe which is after the header.

So with an axleback, there is stock piping for most of the exhaust tract whereas a catback will replace almost all the piping for almost the entire length of the exhaust tract.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Thanks for that explanation... it makes sense.
Now if I can only understand why an extra 3' of pipe is worth $300. I guess it's all about the sound at that point?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Now that is an astute observation! Why does one piece of pipe with a couple of flanges cost $300?

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
because people will pay it?

·
Registered
102 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Originally posted by neo-truth@Jan 5 2006, 10:00 PM
Thanks for that explanation... it makes sense.
Now if I can only understand why an extra 3' of pipe is worth $300. I guess it's all about the sound at that point?
If you're speaking of the creative compacts exhaust, you are mistaken. It's $300 more, but comes with a high-flow cat and resonator.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.