Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm on my way back from a friend's house. Not too late at night, it was only about 10:30pm or so, and I'm on a road known for not having any cops (Eventually they're gonna catch on to that...). So I'm just weaving through lanes, going about 60, and I notice that these headlights are right on my ass. Then he pulls next to me, and at this point I slow down to see his taillights, trying to figure out what's trying to race me. Turns out it's a Buick Regal. I know it sounds kinda sad that a Buick was racing me, but anyway, I keep accelerating, and so does he. I get to about 95, and he's still keeping up next to me, and revving for some reason, as if I don't know he's racing. At this point I had to slow down because of a car in front of me, and admit that a Buick kept up with my peppy tC. Anyway, I did some research, and apparently, those things have some pick-up!

Just thought I'd vent. I found it kinda embarrassing...

Quick question: What is the 'limit' for 4th gear. At 65, should I have downshifted into 4th, or would I have redlined? (I'm too lazy to look in the manual for the gearing specs)

I know this isn't much of a racing story, and I'm not much of a racer, but still, I thought it was cool

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
u could probably go to third @ 65.... but i think that's when i shift outta third... so i wouldn't do it.... but forth you can go into no problem.... i dont pay attention to my speeds when i shift... im looking at the tach

·
Registered
414 Posts
You should have DEFF threw it in 3rd.......would have at least gave you a good jump on him. Then 4th and you woulda been gone!

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I guess knowing your car helps race, heh?

You can downshift to 4th if you are going 100mph, and to 3rd if you are going below 80 (I'd say 65 is a good usable limit).

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. Yeah...I'm not much of a racer and I haven't been driving this car long enough to know the limits for each gear. I really didn't wanna risk downshifting into a redline.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Originally posted by Pharoh@May 14 2005, 11:08 PM
So I'm on my way back from a friend's house. Not too late at night, it was only about 10:30pm or so, and I'm on a road known for not having any cops (Eventually they're gonna catch on to that...). So I'm just weaving through lanes, going about 60, and I notice that these headlights are right on my ass. Then he pulls next to me, and at this point I slow down to see his taillights, trying to figure out what's trying to race me. Turns out it's a Buick Regal. I know it sounds kinda sad that a Buick was racing me, but anyway, I keep accelerating, and so does he. I get to about 95, and he's still keeping up next to me, and revving for some reason, as if I don't know he's racing. At this point I had to slow down because of a car in front of me, and admit that a Buick kept up with my peppy tC. Anyway, I did some research, and apparently, those things have some pick-up!

Just thought I'd vent. I found it kinda embarrassing...

Quick question: What is the 'limit' for 4th gear. At 65, should I have downshifted into 4th, or would I have redlined? (I'm too lazy to look in the manual for the gearing specs)

I know this isn't much of a racing story, and I'm not much of a racer, but still, I thought it was cool
At 65 you could have downshifted to third...absolutely should have downshifted to at least 4th.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
And this is why we always ask if the driver knew how to drive the engine/transmission he had. It is sad to see a Honda driver afraid to red line his engine. He'll never know the power he could have if he doesn't.

You guys that say the engine "feels like" it's coming apart at 5500 rpm crack me up. It's not even close. You would really do yourselves a favor to race motorcycles for a little while and learn to apply the advantage of high rpm torque. You'd also learn how to stay in the real powerband by judging how fast someone is pulling away from you when you don't. They put all those gears in the box to help you stay in the meat of the powerband, so why not just get there and use it as it was meant to be?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
i think what pharoh was afraid of was going past redline. you know, the way people break their engines when downshifting from 5th to 4th.. but instead of 4th they accidently go into 2nd... i think that's what he meant... but im no mind reader... dammit.. i should just go study for my finals

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I got that just fine. It's all about knowing the combination of engine and transmission...

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
oh.

which is why zoltiz posted the spreadsheet.... its all making sense in my little head now.... nirvana

·
Registered
576 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@May 16 2005, 12:45 AM
And this is why we always ask if the driver knew how to drive the engine/transmission he had. It is sad to see a Honda driver afraid to red line his engine. He'll never know the power he could have if he doesn't.

You guys that say the engine "feels like" it's coming apart at 5500 rpm crack me up. It's not even close. You would really do yourselves a favor to race motorcycles for a little while and learn to apply the advantage of high rpm torque. You'd also learn how to stay in the real powerband by judging how fast someone is pulling away from you when you don't. They put all those gears in the box to help you stay in the meat of the powerband, so why not just get there and use it as it was meant to be?
I know the feeling people talk about though, when running at a higher rpm you get the vibration through the accelerator pedal, and it just doesnt feel good. I still feel bad when I rev the car real high without any load on it, it just feels wierd. I kind of equate it in my head to a person running, people can sprint, but if your pushed to sprint too fast you lose your balance, your feet get tangled up, you fall down. I dunno, it's just one of those things.

·
Registered
542 Posts
probably been answered before, but does the rev limiter catch it if you did downshift too many gears?

also, when i drove a civic i was nervous about taking it up into really high rpms, but that was because my dx model had no tach:(

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
If you go too fast for the gear, the rev limiter won't help - it will cut the fuel off, but that won't matter because the engine will still spin too fast.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
yeah... tachs help... dunno why they don't include them in manual cars

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well considering how this is my first manual car, and I had read somewhere on here that the rev limited doesn't help me at all if I downshift into redline, I just didn't want to take that risk. I really have no problem with driving at high RPMs though, but I can understand what OliverThomas said; When you don't have much experience racing, you think something's not right when the engine's screaming and the gas pedal's kinda vibrating.

Anyway, now I know, in case someone else pulls up next to me.
(BTW, some 2-door Accord, I'm guessing a 4-cyl, pulled up next to me tonight, all modded out, on that same road, and I just downshifted and pulled away from him easily
)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.