Scion tC Forums banner

Has your windsheild cracked or chipped yet?

• Yes and my car is stock height

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes and my car is lowered

• No it has not

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am checking to see if there is anyone else who is having windsheild problems. I wasnt thinking anything about it when I heard everyone else talk about it because it hadnt happened to mine. Now that Me and my freind both have chipps and he has to get his replaced, I am doing a poll to see how many people are having this problem. If it is a large number of the people on this site I would like to approach Scion about the problem. I would like to get a prompt answer so let me know quick please. Dont laugh its funny until its your car. Lets use this site for some real positive things and maybe help our fellow Scion owners out.

·
Registered
282 Posts
What does a lowered car have to do with cracked or chipped windshield?????? Never heard of a such a thing.
Are you talking about if your car is lowered, you are more prone to chipped windshield from rocks and debris thrown from the road?? If so, I dont think raising your car back to stock height would lessen the chance of that happening. If it does then you would get chipped hood instead.
Strange poll/thread

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
The only reason to approach Scion corporate about this if you have found a way to defeat physics because that is the cause of rock chips. Our windshields are not faulty! Rock chips happen. My dad's '02 Camry has one right by his mirror and don't even try to tell me that car is not high quality.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
GLASS IS PRONE TO CHIPPING WHEN STRUCK BY OBJECTS THAT ARE HARDER THAN GLASS.

See also: Physics.

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
nice sig marty.

no windshield chips here. I am lucky. Window chips happen, the glass is fine. Perhaps, you were a bit unlucky. Every day I don't get a rock in my glass I consider myself lucky.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yep, mine chipped on my last trip to SoCal. Damned 91 freeway!!! Oh, well, it'll happen to most of us at some point or another. The lowered thing just doesn't matter either.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im talking about the fact that there are already several peope with tc that have cracked winsheilds. I worked in a dealership service dept and I know things like this happen. But not to brand new cars and not in this rate. I f Scion put a cheap peice of glass in my car I want it replaced. Its not about chips or cracks. Its about saftey. If I can get a chip during normal driving imagine what the head of a dear or a bird would do. I just dont want to be the guy that has to die to get a recall. And yes thats how recalls happen. By the way All this cracked gl;ass adds up to higher insurance for everyone. Maybe you guys shouldnt be so accepting just cause the cars cool. I could wrap a peice of crap in a box and call it cool that doesnt mean that its any more valuable. And just so you know people that say oh well are the ones that the car makers love because they dont have to pay for the mistakes. You know how many people I saw pay fo new coil packs on the ford triton V8s before ford came out with a recall. Do you think they got there money back. Just like in Vegas the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Dont be so acceppting of what you dealers tell you. And by the way the lowered part denotes that a lower car would be more prone to chipped winsheild due to the fact that heavier rocks tend to stay closer to the ground. Something about physics and force of earths gravity but hey what would I know.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Windshields get chipped and cracked in normal driving. It is a fact of life where there are vehicles throwing rocks and gravel from their tires. New vehicles are prone to this as much as older ones. I had a new Volvo that suffered a cracked windshield on my second day of ownership. A small rock hit it and that was all it took. There was no defect or use of cheap glass. I had a Montero that cracked 4 times in the years I owned it. The windshield was nearly flat and upright and was taking full hits from rocks.
The only time I think you can claim there is a problem with vehicle design or glass quality is when the glass cracks from the edges up or down into the windshield without being hit by a flying object. My tC has taken several good hits on the windshield since I have had it and has a couple small chips..just like the rest of the front of the car. I hate it as much as anyone and cringe when I hear the sound.
There is no safety issue unless the glass shatters in the windshield. The windshield is multilayer laminated and should stay pretty much together...just broken.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
The OEM glass in my Supra cracked underneath the mirror mount on the inside. It is the only time I've complained about glass breakage, and Toyota fixed it at 57,000 miles for cost of install only. They bought the glass. I thought that was pretty cool.

I've had a number of other chips and breaks over the years, and they are just plain bad luck. Nothing more. The only time I had glass replaced free was when I was following a truck and it broke a branch off a tree that hit my windshield and broke it. It was a big branch, and when I followed the guy and told him about it, he first tried to deny it, then I pointed to the branch still stuck in the top of his trailer. He called his boss, they got my car fixed by a reputable company the same day while I was at work at no charge to me.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Originally posted by kckid@Apr 2 2005, 03:56 AM
Im talking about the fact that there are already several peope with tc that have cracked winsheilds. I worked in a dealership service dept and I know things like this happen. But not to brand new cars and not in this rate. I f Scion put a cheap peice of glass in my car I want it replaced. Its not about chips or cracks. Its about saftey. If I can get a chip during normal driving imagine what the head of a dear or a bird would do. I just dont want to be the guy that has to die to get a recall. And yes thats how recalls happen. By the way All this cracked gl;ass adds up to higher insurance for everyone. Maybe you guys shouldnt be so accepting just cause the cars cool. I could wrap a peice of crap in a box and call it cool that doesnt mean that its any more valuable. And just so you know people that say oh well are the ones that the car makers love because they dont have to pay for the mistakes. You know how many people I saw pay fo new coil packs on the ford triton V8s before ford came out with a recall. Do you think they got there money back. Just like in Vegas the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Dont be so acceppting of what you dealers tell you. And by the way the lowered part denotes that a lower car would be more prone to chipped winsheild due to the fact that heavier rocks tend to stay closer to the ground. Something about physics and force of earths gravity but hey what would I know.
What are you talking about? It doens't matter how new the car is........

·
Registered
515 Posts
The glass in our tC's is the normal shatter resistance glass. Now if want to stop the rocks from hitting your cars don't tailgate. Or you can actual buy a deflector for your windsheild wipers or the hood of the car that will deflect rocks over the glass. Other than that I haven't noticed anything wrong with the glass. Kids nextdoor hit mine with a baseball and it didn't break just put a nice crack through it. Parents replaced the glass for me.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I travel on the Capital Beltway every day to work and my tC seems to attract dump trucks! I replaced 3 windshields on my last car. The tC's windshield was struck by a stone that bounced off a truck 2 months after I bought her. I had the chip filled and polished for about $80 and it looks good as new. I thought I heard another stone hit the glass the other day, but it missed the glass and hit the A pillar and chipped the paint. It's not the tC, it's where you drive.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
This is the only thing I've seen guaranteed to prevent glass breakage from a reputable company. It costs more, but according to fleet managers, it does what they claim.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've already had a rock chip as well. I think the engineers at Toyota mustv'e designed in some sort of attractant for small rocks.
I currently have a team of researchers looking into it and will share information when it's time for the class action suit.

·
Registered
675 Posts
i spoke with the local glass guy about this.. my old civic had more chips and more replacements since the angle of the civic's windshield was more upright than the tc's windshield. that he said that the tC's winshield being angled back more would create less cracks because most stones would glance off of the surface.. that's what happened with mine.. stones have hit, but they continue to move, not hit straight on.. so i've been lucky.. no cracks. i don't worry of the cracks (full comprehensive insurance coverage).. its the bad workmanship i've see with the old civic when they install these things.. It's scary that most of the installs were not done correctly.. insurance had to straighten these people out and withdraw the money they paid them.. i finally found a good shop.. but it's always bad workmanship.. sheesh

This windshield would probably crack just like any other windshield if hit with a big enough stone.. nothing can stop that. That edgeguard would be and interesting fix.. wonder how it would affect the optics (seeing through the windshield)..

it sucks but most big cities have lots of glass shops since those trucks are always kicking something up.. and good ol' murphy's law kicks in as well. if a stone is out there, it WILL find a new car's windshield..

if anything the tC's windshield is as good as optically correct that I've seen, no wavy lines.. the lamination was done correctly.. the honda's on the other hand.. bad bad quality, i can see why honda's sales are down! I went with PPG for the last windshield replacement on the old civic and it was of much better quality than the "honda branded" windshield..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If anyone knows of a aftermarket windsheild for this car let me know. I dont mean think I mean KNOW. My freind checked into it because his is shattered and said that the only windsheild is made by Toyota and it has a cost of $1350 not installed. If you have had your replaced and know the company did it for less let me know.

By the way just because you have comprehensive insurance doesnt mean anything. I like paying reasonable low insurance myself and further claims for $1350 winsheilds will only drive the insurance cost up. I am trying to help all of us and keep costs low. Thats why Hondas carry such high insurance there always getting stolen.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.