1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
i dig it... but i wouldn't buy it

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
It looks interesting, and it looks like it might even actually do something, but without a wind tunnel or some kind of data acquisition on the suspension, you can't tell. It might create downforce, it might just induce drag. Need more data.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I like that better than the oem lip spoiler.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I like it. I've had my eye on that one for a couple of months now. Have you heard any firm release date?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
acording to the post on scionlife it has been pushed bak till who knows when.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
I actually like it. But don't expect it to do anything-- it's like a supermodel: it just looks nice. The notion of a spoiler producing any noticeable effect on a street car is, well... silly. A 6" high, 70º spoiler on the back of a NASCAR produces 188lbs of downforce at 180mph. It's there to keep the rear end straight and kick the air around to rough the draft. At 60, 70, or 80mph, it ain't doing a damn thing. The flat trunk extension in the pic is... pretty. But don't get it as a "performance" piece. Hell, your front bumper has two gaping holes in it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Come on now, we are not supposed to use common sense here, lol!

I am thinking of adding a tiny, like one third the size of what is out now, carbonfiber splitter up front for just a bit of style but no dang adjustment rods!

Then on the rear I bought the factory little guy but not even sure I want to put it on.

Since this is a multipurpose car for our business and fun we need to do a few things to dress it up a bit, tastefully, but also keep it very light and have real performance because we will race it alot!

Rick

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Isotope@May 4 2005, 09:27 PM
A 6" high, 70º spoiler on the back of a NASCAR produces 188lbs of downforce at 180mph. It's there to keep the rear end straight and kick the air around to rough the draft. At 60, 70, or 80mph, it ain't doing a damn thing. The flat trunk extension in the pic is... pretty. But don't get it as a "performance" piece. Hell, your front bumper has two gaping holes in it.
You're not clear on concept here. The spoiler slows airflow over the trunk deck, and it's the surface area of the trunk deck that actually creates the downforce, not the spoiler. That's why the trucks have so much more downforce potential from a rear blade; lots more deck area.

All the devices are doing is managing airspeed over the surface. Fast air has lower pressure than slow air. Same is true for a splitter. Slower air over the top creates a pressure differential between the top and bottom. Sure at street speeds this is fairly small, but that's related to surface area again.

The other big trade off with surface area is drag. Larger surfaces induce more drag because more air is being slowed by the downforce generator.

So the big question in this case is: does the increase in flat area on the tail of the car actually do something other than induce drag? In all likelihood, no. But stranger things have happened, so that's why I said you can't tell without some kind of test.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like it mainly for the cosmetic appeal. Makes the read end look like its complete instead of that short round drop off it has stock.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Makes the read end look like its complete instead of that short round drop off it has stock.[/b]
i agree, my cousin has a 99 solara with factory lip spoiler, i wish they made that for the tC, i wish i had a pic, but it basically looks like this one, but only half that size, I really like this one, but i think it is way to big.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.