Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i came across this today, and I've already read a lot of reviews about the tc, and this one seems to be the most comprehensive offering the pros as well as the cons. It's from consumerguide, and you all know they do their homework. Hope you all enjoy it:

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/rev...d/38233#ratings

·
Registered
11 Posts
Look at other car reviews... most don't get very high scores- ie the RSX only got a 57/54, and the Tiburon only got a 43/41 (manual/auto respectively)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know, the good thing about this review is that it doesn't sound euphoric, like all the other ones. They all praised this car, but didn't give an actual review of the features. Sure, they mentioned them, how cool they are, what a great value this car is, but imo werent really looking at all sides of the picture. This review definitely didn't change my perspective, and i cant friggin wait will i get that magic phone call from my dealer.

·
Registered
675 Posts
yeah i agree.. this review was more "real world" than the others.. i have driven both the manual and the automatic.. i don't think the auto is "sluggish" like they said and i am not defending it just because i have ordered an auto.. it's like this..
the manual is set up like a track-race car.. great for short sprints..extremely short gearing.. the auto is more of a touring car, like long highway drives.. but it's not slow at all, responsive.. at 80mph the stick (in 5th gear) was turning about 3700-4000 rpms.. the auto at 80mph was only 3000 mph.. much more liveable for me with as many highway miles i drive.. it's funny how the tranmission completely changes the characteristics of the car.. from a race-type sports car.. to a touring car..

but i think the sienna minivan which they reviewed at consumer guide only got a 64, and it was praised for how nice it was.. so yeah 53-54 is pretty high for them.. the parents got a sienna and i agree with most of what consumer guide said.. they were truthful.. without hyping..

·
Registered
502 Posts
The tC deserves more than a "2" in the Room/Comfort Rear category. Afterall, you can recline the back seats and there is more room compared to the RX8's rear seating space... they've also added a dang window on the ceiling back there. I'd say the tC deserves at least a 4 in that category.

·
Registered
502 Posts
but i think the sienna minivan which they reviewed at consumer guide only got a 64, and it was praised for how nice it was.. so yeah 53-54 is pretty high for them..[/b]
The scores should only be compared to other cars in their own class.
i.e. - How can you compare a truck with all the cargo space in the world compared to a 350z's cargo space? Since they are totally different cars in different classes, the scores can't really dictate which car is better.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^^ In regards to that, I think the overall score is still pretty important, even if the cars are in a different categorie, b/c what suv's make up for in cargo space, they lose in mpg, braking accelerating, etc. I still think the overall score is a decent indicator, and I definitely don't believe there is such a thing as a "perfect score" car, it's just physically, and monetarily impossible.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Silverx, don't forget, the RSX is a few grand more than the tC, overall, I think the tC is a much better value than the RSX, but the RSX is still a pretty good car.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Originally posted by QuadinScionTC@Jul 28 2004, 07:45 AM
I dont know if anyones seen this but this realy convinced me to buy the tC ::: http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?se...8&page_number=1
yeah i agree, that review was truthful.. between this one and consumer guide, it's an accurate picture of the car..
i only disagree with the weight thing that car and driver were talking about.. i'm not auto crossing so for me weight can be a good thing, like highway driving.. my old civic would be buffed from side to side from the wind behind a semi.. at 75-80mph.. not fun, annoying.. happy this is heavier and won't have to be affected as much with the crosswinds..

·
Registered
502 Posts
^^^ That's a good review also. Well, if you're reviewing the tC it's always going to be a good review.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^^ Thats totally true. I read that review a while ago, and thought it was very insightful, and overall competent. It solidified my view about the tC, and within the next few days I went to the dealer and put down the deposit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts